Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Solid Surface Seam

Posted by aloha2009 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 20:25

We were looking at going with a solid surface so we wouldn't have any visible seems BUT I was at a furniture store that had a solid surface and there was an obvious seam.

I had never seen one with a seam, so I was surprised to see one and one I wouldn't have been happy with. I think they advertise that seam are very hidden but won't go so far as entirely invisible.

The ones I've seen were invisible, so now I'm concerned that there is a chance I could end up having a visual seam and I wouldn't have a leg to stand on, since there is no guarantee for it to be invisible.

We're looking at an Arctic White so I would expect it to be invisible. I'd be willing to shrink my island down to 10' (from 10.5') just to avoid the seam.

Anyone out there that also has a visible solid surface seam?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Solid Surface Seam

Our old kitchen had beige Corian counters. There was no visible seam. Until it split there after my kids kept climbing up in the same spot. Right on the seam........it probably could have been repaired?

o

I wouldn't want a seam on an island. I think you're taking a chance whether it is visible or not. And that might change over time, as heidi mentions (but for things other than climbing!).

o

Wow, I've never heard of a solid surface actually splitting!

They are suppose to be repairable but again wow, never heard that before.

o

I wouldn't want a seam on an island.

Me either - I'm designing my island so it can be done with one slab. If I have to downsize the island, I will!

o

In my last house, the corian countertop eventually cracked on the seam. It was over $500 to repair that crack, but it was again invisible when the repair was finished. Don't know what made it crack--two adults, no children. The house was about 8 yr old when that crack happened.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here