Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wags848

Sea Pearl or Danby Marble w/my Soapstone?

wags848
9 years ago

We're doing a "facelift" on our 14 y/o kitchen. New counters, sink, faucet, hardware, lighting, paint, etc. Keeping the cabinets & flooring. We've already replaced the island Formica with a green-based soapstone w/lots of veining. We're letting it patina naturally; it will eventually be dark charcoal/green.

I am trying to decide on perimeter countertops:

1) Honed White Mountain Danby Marble - Matte finish like the soapstone, has traces of green in it, reasonably priced, lighter color keeps the kitchen bright, classic & seems to fit our "eclectic cottage" look.

2) Sea Pearl Quartzite - Very elegant (does it fit with our casual home?), has green tones, polished (too much $$ to have it honed but I think it works mixing the finishes), less maintenance than marble, very expensive.

Please give me your honest opinions! I will post photos individually below. Thank you so much!

Comments (86)

• wags848
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

romy718 - Good point. I had a friend over today to give her opinion. She loved both white options & preferred the Sea Pearl because of the pattern & how it worked with the island's pattern. She felt it was like having 2 pieces of artwork in a room...the art doesn't have to match...just complement. She really liked the depth of the Sea Pearl.

I am off to my high school reunion for the weekend, so I will noodle my options when I return. :)

• westsider40
    9 years ago

I have Danby honed and it is etched and chipped. We are empty nesters who are easy on the kitchen. Been done for 3.5 years. If I had had a crystal ball I would have chosen something else but I didn't like my fabricator either.

Read the posts here about Vermont Danby via Google with an open mind and have dh read them too. Think if you really want to live with etched marble. No stains but etches. I think it is expensive. I don't think soapstone is bulletproof either. If you will still be happy with them, fine, but open your eyes. It won't stay in the same condition.

I have a polished Carrara marble floor in a powder room and those etches never bothered me. My counters bother me. Sorry that I don't have photos.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

I like the Sea Pearl. A bit unexpected, but coordinated with the green in the lovely soapstone. Your mockups slay me! Incidentally, Bill Vincent, a third generation meticulous tile guy who used to post here, and maybe still does on the bath forum, said that, in his experience, Danby was not as durable as touted.

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 9:20

• wags848
    Original Author
    9 years ago

westsider & kitchendetective - Appreciate your input! I tested my Danby last night...etching far worse than I had expected. My quartzite sample (though not the Sea Pearl) also had some minor etching. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.
    Now leaning toward the Sea Pearl...

• westsider40
    9 years ago

Here's another two cents from me, Wags. Could you try to match your existing soapstone? I think it would look better, more cohesive, to try to match the existing soapstone. I think that even something close in color and feel would look calmer than introducing white counters. Yes, it would be darker but with good lighting that wouldn't bother me.

. And while you are trying to match to the existing ss, if you could easily find a 'coordinating' slab, it may look as if it was the original plan. It might just be the better choice. It would depend on what is out there now.

Your floor is light and your woodwork and door(s) are white and the room seems somewhat spacious. White appliances. Very nice room, btw.

Another opinion here, just to make you crazier! And I may be just a voice of one. What do others think?

• romy718
    9 years ago

I believe Danby is just as prone to etching as the other white marbles. The difference is that you can remove the etching with a green scrubbie & Comet with Bleach as demonstrated on a video on the Vermont Danby website. I did this "experiment" with 12"x12" Danby & Calacatta tiles & I was able to remove the etching from the Danby. No luck with the Calacatta. It would be a job because you'd have to do the entire countertop & then reseal. If the etching really bothers you, a homeowner does have that option versus having a stone professional rehone & reseal.

• wags848
    Original Author
    9 years ago

romy718 - I am going to work on the etches with the green scrubbie & Comet with Bleach. Thx for this tip!

westsider - Appreciate your thoughts! My head is spinning with the options. Wish this was an easy decision! I still worry about the dark feeling of all soapstone. Plus, there are so many homes in our area with dark cherry cabinets and black/dark granite; looks 90s & dated to me. I hear you re the light floor & white door/appliances; my DH is in the same camp and thinks it won't be too dark. I want the kitchen to feel light, bright, "coastal/cottagey," and eclectic.

Per the link, see the combo of soapstone and quartzite. I like this. It looks classy yet not overly formal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soapstone & Quartzite

• westsider40
    9 years ago

Wags, I completely understand re the neighbors and the potential dated look. Whatever you do, you have a lovely foundation and it will be delightful, pretty. You are almost at home plate. Enjoy.

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

FWIW, I think the soapstone would be too dark. When I ran through the tests with my Danby, I eliminated all etching from my 6" sample in less than 15 minutes sanding to 400 grit. This test was quite satisfying and aleved my fears. Etching does not bother me at a all but I'm a I DIYer and know I will not have a problem honing the marble myself before we move, if it's even needed. It is so undetectble I don't know that I'll bother before we put it on the market in a few years.

What do you love in your finalists and for what reasons: color, movement, texture, feel, ease, something else? They both appear to work well with your SS on the computer screen, but what are your priorities?

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Both counters are beautiful! I will review all again later on or tomorrow when I finish this deadline! Thank you for sharing. Both look good with the soapstone.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Bbtrix - I will need a tutorial for you on rehoning my Danby, when the time comes.
    Sorry to hijack.

• threegraces
    9 years ago

They are both beautiful - not helpful, is it?

I think all SS would be too dark.

• wags848
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I tried the Comet on my etched Danby sample, and the etches are still there. A bit diminished, but still fairly noticeable. I tried it twice. The sample has not been sealed, but from what I understand, sealing will not help with etching anyway...just staining. Of course, we never leave food or drinks sitting on our counters for hours (that is reserved for homework papers & clutter :) ), so the test was more of a worst case scenario.

My DH fessed up today that he thinks the Danby is a bit "boring" and too light. I don't think it's boring at all, but it is on the bright white side. I love the soft, muted colors in the Sea Pearl.

What I'm struggling with is the fact that I don't have a real sample of Sea Pearl to test and look at in my kitchen. The samples I have are quartzite, but not Sea Pearl. When I hunt for a new paint color, I always buy a sample can & paint sections of the wall to look at the color under various lighting conditions. To select a countertop, which costs a heck of a lot more than paint, I am uncomfortable making a decision based on photos on my iPhone and online pictures of similar stones. So, I've asked our fabricator to hunt down a real sample & find out if customers have had any problems with Sea Pearl etching (the wholesaler "can't guarantee" it won't etch a little over time). I know others on this forum have used Sea Pearl; I will ask them their experience as well.

In the meantime, in my "anal analysis paralysis" fashion, I oiled our soapstone Lazy Susan again to visualize the longterm look of our ss. Here's a photo of it with the "other" non-Sea Pearl quartzite. I love the pattern in the Sea Pearl; just don't want it to clash with the wild ss.

bbtrix - Good question re priorities. Unique, soothing, "delightful" (Thx, westsider40; your sweet comment helped me with the word for the image I have :)). Not contemporary, not too classical, and low maintenance. Earthy, cottage-y, coastal. I know that's a lot, but that "bundle" is what I would like, while living within the constraints of our cabinets & flooring. DH & I were actually kicking around the idea of new (white) cabinets today...not sure I want to go there though.

lynn2006- Thank you in advance for taking the time to look and give your opinion!

I will keep you all posted. Many thanks for holding my hand throughout this decision-making process!

wags

• wags848
    Original Author
    9 years ago

threegraces - Yes, your comment IS helpful! Thx you!

• romy718
    9 years ago

If you don't LOVE the marble, you might regret that decision because you will get etching.
    New white cabinets? Now would be the time rather than after you replace the countertops. Especially if you are thinking of replacing appliances in the near future. If your cabinets are in great shape & you want white, you could have them painted.
    I like the movement of the Sea Pearl with your SS but maybe put everything on hold and explore the cabinet idea. I'm not helping at all, am I?

• wags848
    Original Author
    9 years ago

romy718 - I like the marble a lot...not sure it's a total "love affair" though. Hope to have a surface that both DH & I absolutely love. If I can't make up my mind fairly soon, the slabs will be released...that may make the decision for me!

You do bring up good points re the cabinets & appliances. Oh my, my head's about to explode...tonight I'm just loving my Formica. :)

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I am liking the Sea Pearl with your cabinets and I feel it looks nice with your island counter.

I finished my deadline just before midnight and then I had to tie up the individual tax return related to the partnership tax return. I am so tired. It is 1:47 AM and I need to get to bed. I just love reading posts and seeing kitchens as my way to relax before bed. :) I have counter samples all over my counters right now. Next week I am finally replacing the hardwood floors in my home and then I can tie up my extensions and get back to my kitchen with even more knowledge.

Quoted from the link below: 'The picture above is a quartzite called Sea Pearl. I have done testing on Sea Pearl and they did not etch. I recommend you asking the your fabricator for a sample and conduct your own testing to make sure that it will not etch.'

Here is a link that might be useful: [Link that has a picture of Sea Pearl Quartzite & information on[(https://www.houzz.com/products/sea-pearl-quartzite-prvw-vr~3652293)

• wags848
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lynn2006 - Hope you got to sleep in today after your late night! I can sure relate to relaxing before bed with GW; a habit I can't seem to break. :) Thx you for your input!

The Sea Pearl is beautiful, but I still have no real sample to look at in my kitchen. Today I went back to look at the slab & brought a good friend along. She has good taste; has decorated many homes. She thinks the Sea Pearl has too much gray in it & doesn't work that well with my cabinets; cool counter with warm cabinets. Felt it would be a bit too dark as well. She prefers the marble, but not the slab I had selected. We found a new slab (of course, more expensive) of Imperial Danby Honed that has gray, some green, & brown in it...would tie in with soapstone & cabinets.
    A neighbor looked at my kitchen & samples later today; she had the exact same opinion as my other friend. Now I'm also wondering if the gray in the Sea Pearl might show some blue in my kitchen; I don't want blue.

The wholesaler called & left a message today; needs a decision on the Sea Pearl. I am going to have him release it; just don't have my comfort level where it needs to be, and don't want to rush into a decision when I'm not ready. The sink we want is on backorder for at least a month anyway, so I have time. So, on "pause" for a bit. Thx to all of you for your thoughtful, helpful input! I will reread all comments & digest; will keep looking at slabs as well.

FYI, here's an Imperial Danby slab from today & also what it looks like in a showroom (with my cabinet & ss).

• wags848
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Imperial Danby Honed Marble

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Lovely!

• romy718
    9 years ago

Your slab looks very much like my Imperial Danby slab which I love. We had a hard time finding our slabs & when I found this I really liked it. Then, for months, I just had my cell phone pic & grew doubtful. I was afraid it wasn't white enough. They arrived with the slabs & the guys were inside. I went up into the back of the truck, looked at it & thought "not white enough & I don't like it." I stayed outside while they installed the first piece. When I went inside & looked, if you can fall in love with a piece of stone, I did. Plenty white enough but it also softened my white cabinets.
    Etching won't show as much on the perimeters versus an island.
    It looks great with your cabinets. Grab it!

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

bbtrix, which Danby Marble do you have on your counters? Your counters and your kitchen is gorgeous! Is it honed or polished?

• romy718
    9 years ago

My other slab-looks so much like your slab!

• romy718
    9 years ago

After install. See how soft it looks. It's been installed almost a year & it's still the favorite thing in my kitchen.

This post was edited by romy718 on Tue, Sep 16, 14 at 22:45

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

Thank you for the kind words! I have honed Arabascato Montclair Danby. I do love my marble. It's a very visual and tactile thing with marble lovers.

• wags848
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lynn2006 & romy718 - Thx once again for your input! I do like the Imperial Danby in the showroom. The slab they have is not exactly like it, but still nice. I think they might have others behind it; will have to check.

romy - Love your marble! They also had Arabascato Montclair Danby there as well. It's a lot less expensive than the Imperial (Imperial more than Sea Pearl). Here are pics.

More later...I must get to bed(you, too, lynn!)! Early day with the kiddos in the morning; I have to stop this late "GWing!" :)

• wags848
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Arabescato Danby

• Jillius
    9 years ago

Ooo, that is PRETTY.

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

Romy - I love your kitchen! Is a reveal coming soon (I hope)!!

There are so many beautiful marbles to choose from and your new samples are georgeous. Personally, I do not find them boring at all. I initially wanted a quiet marble and thought I was settling with the dark striations in the Montclair, but now those are my favorite areas especially when light hits it.

Wags848 - I was thinking about a few things you said, "there are so many homes in our area with dark cherry cabinets and black/dark granite; looks 90s & dated to me."

"Earthy, cottage-y, coastal." Yet not boring, while blending with your existing cabs; delightful and eye-catching to both of you.

Here's my thoughts. It appears you are trying to keep costs down but are going through what we all do once we hit the stone yard with a budget, raise the budget because the kitchen is such an investment that won't be redone in the near future. You want something you love within your financial constraints. Keep in sight your goals and definitely replace your cabinets if that is what is going to help you achieve the "delightful" kitchen you want. Do you love your cabinets? Did you have plans to replace or refinish in the next five years? Since you and DH discussed replacement it must be on your mind. This is definitely the time to do it rather than be sorry. It may be best to raise the budget now to achieve what you really want rather than settling. The Imperial Danby works beautifully with your current theme if you really want to keep them but would also be stunning with new cabinets. You just need to be positive you can live with the imperfections of marble. Westsider has stated she would have chose differently.

When I went through this process last winter, I found I did not have much choice in my budget range. Quartzite and the nice granites were nearly double my budget. I came upon the Danby on sale for $50 sf. I knew I loved marble and when I etched and chipped my sample I ruled it out. But I was not at all satisfied with my alternatives. I researched honing and found it is a simple process, just time consuming. I started sanding my sample piece that had deep etches from various acids left several days. I had to play with different grits to level out the surface and ended with 400 grit. You go higher for a more polished finish. The etches were completely gone and my soft beautiful finish was back, but the chips stood out like a sore thumb. I could not live with that, especially since DH has the dropsies. Determined, I smoothed the chips as well as I could then took out my art supplies experimenting until I blended the color differences. I disguised them surprisingly well. If I really do chip my marble, I would buy an epoxy kit and colorants and practice on my sample until I was comfortable. I came to the conclusion that I could repair whatever comes along and very happily chose the Danby.

So, today, since I was asked about etching and Romy reminded me that I would share the process, I decided to fix my few etched spots on my countertop. My etches were very shallow as they were cleaned quickly, so I just grabbed a 3m sanding sheet and some 000 steel wool I had on hand. I first tried it on my old sample of course. I was able to easily smooth out the etches, wet sanding and carefully blended into the surrounding areas. I dried the area often to check the appearance. It went very quick since they were shallow, mostly just through the sealer, and I had to wet the areas to find them again so I knew where to reseal. After resealing just those small areas, there are no signs of the etches. It took about a half hour. I had planned to buy the honing powders and use an orbital sander, but don't see the need unless we have a catastrophe or perhaps when we put the house on the market. If you are comfortable with sanding, give it a try on your sample. Hopefully you have a sample of the Imperial?

If you are not the type for DIY, and want very little maintenance, then consider the quartzite. But now that I've actually done the process on my marble, i can tell you it was easier than trying to fix the smudges and scratches on my stainless appliances and sink. It all comes down to what kind of maintenance is acceptable to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to hone

• wags848
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I officially released the Sea Pearl slab today. No regrets. Now it's on to the next option. DH and I both like our cabinet & soapstone with the Imperial Danby in the showroom. It does seem to tie in with both the ss and our cabinets. Our fabricator is going to keep an eye out for us, plus will let us know if any large remnants come up. The Imperial at the wholesaler was sold; they said it goes fast. I will keep checking. I may be able to find another type of Danby with gray/green/brown that could work.

lynn2006 - You have good taste, picking the expensive Danby as well! I agree that it's nicer than the Mountain Danby. I like the additional colors; it has more "oompf." Also, I'm betting the etching will be less noticeable on the Imperial.
    Re the etch test, I waited about 10 - 15 minutes. I'm betting my sample stained/etched faster than that.
    I'll be interested in following your journey to find the right material! While it's been a bit stressful, I do admit to enjoying the hunt. :)

romy - Wow. Your Imperial slabs and kitchen are just stunning. I truly enjoyed your story about having doubts then falling in love again! Your marble was meant to be. It does look incredibly soft; do you find yourself stroking it as you pass by your counters? I find myself doing that with my soapstone.
    You make a good point about the etching; yes, it will be less on our perimeters. We only have 4 perimeter counter sections. One is used as a "desk" area, so no food there. Honestly, there's just the corner section between the sink & stove that sees much food action. We always use cutting boards, too. The soapstone is such a workhorse; major food action is there. So, not a huge area subject to etching.

bbtrix - Thank you for the input, playing Devil's Advocate, & sharing the honing info. Love your counters, too; especially the corner area with the veining. Lovely!
    Our cabinets are in really good shape, and we don't hate them. I recently received a compliment on them, and the cherry is classic and maybe even timeless. Would I prefer white? Yes, but for now we're fine with the cherry. Once the kiddos leave home, I envision downsizing to a little cottage with white cabinets. But all is good now. I do love the soapstone on the cherry island; that change alone has made a huge difference in our kitchen's appearance. New perimeters, sink, faucet, paint, & lighting will make it even better!
    We're not huge DIYers, but I will ask our fabricator about how they refinish/redo marble. Good to know the etches and chips can be taken care of!!

wags

• romy718
    9 years ago

Wags-the Arabescato-Montclair is gorgeous but I agree that the subtle veining of the Imperial would be better with your soapstone. I would have been totally happy with the Arab-Montclair in my kitchen & love it in Bbtrix's.
    When DH & I made our first trip to a stone yard, I found out my husband had an opinion about marble. He doesn't like those jagged lines (veining). It was a total shock to me as I thought I was getting Calacatta. I wanted it to be a decision we were both invested in, so I settled. He regularly reminds me that he is responsible for the marble I love.
    Another slab will come along & if your fabricator knows there is something specific you want, they may bring it in from another stone yard. That's how I got my slabs.
    As far as that busy area on your kitchen perimeter, you'll just need to get a Silverwave Counter Mat. You can see one next to Bbrix's range.
    Bbrix, thanks for the detailed info & the link. I've bookmarked them. Shoot, I don't need an orbital sander? I was excited about getting & using one.
    Lynn, I'm looking forward to your reno. You've done a ton of research & I know it's going to pay off.

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

Wags - so glad your hubbie likes the Imperial too! Sounds like all is coming together. Enjoy your hunt!

Romy - get the sander cuz you know you'll want to redo it! What I did today isn't a substitute for rehoning, but more a blending to the patina.

Lynn - good luck with your hunt too. Looking forward to pix!

• wags848
    Original Author
    9 years ago

romy718 - What type of sink do you have on the perimeter? Thank you!

• romy718
    9 years ago

Hi Wags - I have the Kohler Iron Tones Smart Divive in white. It's a 70/30 with the divider just 4" high. Once I fill with water above 4", it's a large single sink.

• wags848
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, romy. It's beautiful!! We've been noodling the Ikea apron front sink; concerned now it might be too large. I met with a decorator this week; she said to consider the Kohler Smart Divide, undermounted. Looks like that's what you have! Lovely. Any problems with the marble chipping? I wonder if I would ding the edges with pots, etc.

bbtrix & others with marble - What kind of sink do you have?

This afternoon I am going to look at another slab of Danby, plus they found a slab of Sueded Sea Pearl and shipped it in from another warehouse. Still leaning toward the Danby, but want to look at the Sea Pearl, as it will not be polished...could work better with the honed soapstone. Depends on the color/pattern. I'll post photos later. The hunt continues...

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

My favorite is the Sea Pearl. I have a Kohler Whitehaven Apron sink and I love it! I wanted a divided sink but DD convinced me to go with the single. My sink is still the most favorite thing in my whole kitchen renovation.

• romy718
    9 years ago

I haven't chipped mine yet but I am careful. I love the sink but an apron front sink does eliminate the chipping issues on the front & sides.
    No one else will be washing dishes this holiday season - if anyone is going to chip it, it's me or DH.
    I'm not worried about chipping the edges of my countertops. I'm not even sure how I could do that. The sink, yes, that could happen.

• wags848
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Found my slab!! So excited.

First I looked at the Mountain Danby, which is lovely but just didn't grab me...the pattern is too light on top, too heavy on bottom, so I knew not the right Danby.

• wags848
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Then I turned the corner to look at the Sueded Sea Pearl. I just smiled. So lovely. It is basically honed with a very slight texture; very smooth & touchable like my soapstone. It's light in color with touches of green, gray, white, blue & a little brown/yellow (which would tie in with the cabinets). I think it'll provide enough contrast with the soapstone and yet the pattern is quiet enough to nicely complement it.

The bottom of the slab has more color in it, and more blue than I would want in my kitchen; I'm having them price that section out for a couple of our vanities.

• wags848
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another:

• wags848
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And another:

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Wags848, The Sea Pearl "Suede" Quartzite slab you found is gorgeous and will compliment your gorgeous soapstone counters and your cabinets and will not etch! I love it!

• wags848
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lynn2006 - Thank you! The photos really don't do it justice. Such a calm, serene stone with a cottage/coastal look to it. My DH likes it, too; I think it's both masculine & feminine. Yes, the fact that it won't etch is huge. They won't guarantee it won't etch but if it does, the pattern & subtle texture will help to mask it. Marble etching doesn't bother me; more so, my DH. So this stone works for both of us.

I love that it is not a polished stone; it looks so different from the other Sea Pearl slabs I was considering primarily because of the matte finish. Fingers crossed the quote doesn't blow the budget!

holly-kay & romy - I appreciate your input re your sinks! Now I have that decision to make. :) My DH likes stainless; I like the apron look. Our fabricator said he makes a cost-efficient "faux apron" sink by using a stainless steel undermount sink with an apron front made out of the counter material. He's going to provide photos of previous jobs; says it looks nice. That might be the way to go for us; a nice compromise.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Oh, that slab is perfect! So happy for you.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Perfect! You could not have found a better slab. I bet you are so relieved and excited! Looking forward to the pics when you are done.

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

beautiful, perfect, fabulous!!!

so happy for you :)

• bookworm4321
    9 years ago

I wanted my kitchen Counter tops to last and look good when I downsize, which could be in 5 years So, I went with a quartzite last year and it still looks new. Mine is not as gorgeous as your slab. I wish mine had more color in it. I think you will really like yours.

• Lisa
    9 years ago

Beautiful!

• wags848
    Original Author
    9 years ago

romy/aktillery/sprtphntc/bookworm/lcskaisgir - Thanks! I hope the quartzite looks as good in my home as it does in the warehouse. :) No sample, so some risk. But it is a lovely stone, and I'm not second guessing myself.

Bookworm, glad to hear you are having good luck with your quartzite! I did the glass/scratch test on the slab, and it passed. So it seems to be genuine quartzite. I love that it looks a lot like marble, just a more "flowy" pattern and, hopefully, no major etching.

I'm starting to obsess over sink options now...too many choices. :)

Here's another photo. The slab reminds me of a large canvas, and the artist is painting a calm sea or sky scene. I almost hate to have the slab cut! So pretty.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz