Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mpmg46

Granite ruining clothes??

mpmg46
11 years ago

We put in granite counters several months back. After this summer of being home much more than during the school year, I think I finally figured out why almost all of my t-shirts have little holes in them, right at the counter height.

Is there a way to have them filed down? I've noticed a few rough spots (on the underside/edge). I haven't called our granite guy yet, thought I'd check here to see if anyone else has had this problem or knows of a solution.

Thanks!

Comments (109)

• celticmoon
    11 years ago

Wooo - deja vu. See 'holes in the t shirt' thread on the laundry forum in 2009 linked below.

No granite here. 25 year old Corian. 16 year old car. Front load washer, always used with 1 tablespoon Tide He powder detergent.

Lost countless t shirts to belly holes over a 6 month stretch in 2009. Then it stopped as abruptly as it started. My money is on some product or food ingredient or hobby chemical or behavior that was part of our lives for a while and is no more.

It's a mystery. But it definitely isn't your granite.

Here is a link that might be useful: holes in clothes, part II

• home4all6
    11 years ago

i have this trouble too, and i have laminate counters. It's not from granite.
    It's from my belly and my jeans causing the now-more-cheaply-made thinner material shirts to rub against counter-height surfaces.
    Yep, it even happened with a brand-new shirt, the first day I wore it.
    My tummy sticks out some, thanks to my babies, and that, combined with my jeans button/waistband is the point of impact. Even on laminate. Because I spend a lot of time in the ktichen, bumping up against the counters, now ALL of my shirts are holey. Embarassing.

• aliris19
    11 years ago

Wow; July 2006. And no resolution in sight.

Apron.... :)

• lambo2011
    11 years ago

aliris19 - Maybe it is no coincidence that we renovated our entire home - including kitchen and have been back in the house only 6 months. We now have soapstone counter tops versus our previous traditional laminate counter top (plus the old counter tops were probably an inch or two higher than normal since the previous owners were tall.

And I must admit that I think I've noticed more holes since I stopped working full time several years ago - meaning I'm probably doing a bit more housework than before and definitely a lot more now since we stopped having a part-time nanny help out.

I agree with the apron recommendations - that or tucking my shirts in....or even better - hire someone else to do all the housework :)

• ijensen
    11 years ago

I never had problems with holes until Bush got in office. I blame him....:0)

(I am seriously kidding here)

• aliris19
    11 years ago

Oh so *that's* what the thousand points of lights must have been about....

• genab55
    11 years ago

I KNOW what causes this. I have the same problem...and don't have any granite or a front load washer. I PROMISE you it's not a moth or a bug...it's not your washer...or your detergent...it's just the rub against the metal of your belt or button.

Put one of your shirts with holes and the pants you normally wear and you will see that the little hole lines up with the metal it rubs against. It occurs at the point between your shirt and whatever piece of metal is on your pants...be it belt buckle or metal jeans button.

T-shirt fabric is much thinner these days and that accounts for how fast it happens. But the fact is that when you lean against any counter the fabric gets rubbed along that metal and it wears a hole.

All my thin t-shirts get these small holes eventually. Some appear after the first wear. It may also be that just natural contact with the metal rubs the fabric but if you are careful about leaning into countertops it will not be as bad. Or wear an apron when you are working against counters in the kitchen (or at work...try wearing an apron at work and start a trend...just kidding).

I wear a camisole under the tops I really want to protect...or tuck them in...and I'm more careful about leaning against countertops. That has helped immensely!

So there you go! Truly this is the cause. :)

• boxerpups
    11 years ago

Whatever it is, I think it is a perfect excuse to go shopping.
    ;)
    ~bp

• sharon asplin
    8 years ago

I have the same problem, holes in front of t-tshirts I live in a household of myself, my husband and 2 sons out of the 4 of us there is only me who does the cooking and the holes are only in my clothes. My granit worktops are rough under the ridge.

• Debbi Branka
    8 years ago

I started wearing aprons in the kitchen all the time and I don't get holes in my tshirts anymore. It's definitely the granite.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

Twenty minutes and dry diamond pads on a knuckle-dragger and your clothes will be saved.

• User
    8 years ago

She's new light on " belly up to the bar " I guess.

• designsaavy
    8 years ago

Up until last week, we've always had laminate. For the past couple years at least I've had little holes develop on the belly button areas of most of my shirts....with laminate counters. I'm guessing seat belt? Sure would like to know so I can stop it.

• jojo100
    8 years ago

Wow! I have had 2 different front load washing machines over the past 16 years. Have had two different granite countertops and wear my t-shirts out over my jeans, sometimes wear a belt, always use a seatbelt when in the car, and have never experienced holes in my tops. And my husband never had holes in his shirts either. Super Storm Sandy is the reason why I had to replace my washing machine and kitchen, along with the rest my house and still have had no problems with holes in our shirts.

• Sharyl Godlewski
    8 years ago

Definitely could be the granite. I experienced the same problem. Our edges were rough and I ruined a LOT of shirts.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

We had the problem when we had top-loading washing machines. Haven't had the problem since we have front-loaders, nor with granite (but they were smooth edge).

• Yollies
    8 years ago

I have finally figured out why my cotton shirts get little holes at countertop/waist height. It only happens during winter time. I realized it is the button on my blue jeans that is exactly the same height as my granite counter when I'm preparing food or washing dishes. The metal button seems to cause just the right amount of friction or pressure to make a little hole over time. I do not wear jeans during summer and all my shorts have small plastic buttons. No holes in newly bought shirts over summer.

• nhbaskets
    8 years ago

So glad to see I'm in good company. I've concluded it's from catching my shirt in the zipper. Always in a hurry.

• powermuffin
    8 years ago

I have had the same problem. It took me quite a while to figure out that one pair of jeans, my favorite of course, has a (top) button thingy that sticks out more than the rest of my jeans. It rubs on the edge of the counter and causes the holes. Now, I wear an apron when I were those jeans and no more new holes.

Diane

• Iowacommute
    8 years ago

I have the same problem with little holes in my shirts at waist level, and I always wear jeans. Im short and ha e short arms so I lean against everything to reach, and sadly my shirts suffer.

Im going to have to start wearing an apron to see if that helps.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

I too was going to say it's the buttons on your pants or jeans. I had that happening and couldn't figure it out until I realized that all the holes were about in the same place.

• Yollies
    8 years ago

I've started wearing my apron whenever I work at the counter too. No new holes while wearing jeans so far.

• Rommy Miller
    7 years ago

Just seeing this post and having the same experience; and never having holes in my shirts (all types of materials) before I have decided it is def. my granite counter tops... I have had some blouses and tops I absolutely love ruined ... will be calling the granite folks this week! ... no belts here and I tend to wear a lot of pants & capris with elastic so belts and buttons are not the culprit... until I can get the counters fixed to avoid the rub on my clothes I will copy Yollies and go with my apron more than not :)

• Kim Heitz
    7 years ago

no girls i will tell you what it is thin cheap material and metal buttons on the jeans.. When we are cleaning after dinner or anything else that could rub your tee shirt against the buttons on the jeans, i do not tuck in at 61 yr old. it is the metal buttons. I changed the button on one pair and i only wore that one with new shirts it id not happen. When i wore the new tee with another pair brand new with the metal holes the next day. And it never happens with thick cotton tees. It is the crappy material they are shoving down our throats

• Kim Heitz
    7 years ago

oh and i had granite and now i have HD laminate and still holes crappy cheap material

• Julie Reinhardt Fees
    7 years ago

My fiance is a granite installer. The holes are ABSOLUTELY caused by the granite. Happens to me also. Ive started throwing a towel over the edge of the sink if Im standing there, otherwise, I put on an apron. Most often, I throw the towel on the edge of the counter

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

Install an apron style sink.

• hale011
    6 years ago

I tend to agree with the geo-paleontologist on this one. I have noticed tiny rough spots on my granite countertops. After using a razor with a holder on the counter, it smooths out the surface. But I also used it on the front of the counter and the edges. It doesn't hurt the countertops and feels better to the touch. I tend to think there are minute sand particles as the holes in my shirts are inconsistent and I join many of you who are tired of losing their shirts to holes. The next step is wear an apron while in the kitchen.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I'll bet the rough granite at sinks ruining clothes is brown/orange. The natural iron in the stone is rusting from sink spillage and causing the roughness. I can't imagine this happening with lighter stones.

• cheri127
    6 years ago

I have followed this thread off and on for years and am always amused by it. These holes happen to me too with both cheap and expensive cotton knits. It's not a bug or the stone. It's the fabric itself. The yarn just isn't made as durable as it used to be and wears out quickly when rubbed against anything, belt buckles, jeans buttons, stone counters, seat belts, whatever. It's cheaply made cloth. My old T-shirts have no holes at all.

• Valerie Wright
    6 years ago

I've just discovered this thread because I've been trying to figure out why this same thing is happening to me. Seat belts and just buttons can't be the cause or my entire family would have the same problem. I am the only one in our house that has this issue. I believe it is the counter top and am wondering if anyone has tried resealing their granite.

• User
    5 years ago

The problem is DEFINITELY the granite. There are a number of sources on the internet describing this problem and the cause. There are even the scientific types offering the reason for the interaction to cause the tiny holes.
    There is no bug or spontaneous wearing that causes wear in only one area of knit shirts.
    Unfortunately, other than having your granite fabricator use a special resin to close up any holes or polish away any obvious snags, there isn't a lot you can do about it. It is a reaction with the surface and knit, especially knit with some polyester and/or nylon or similar additions (Although, people report that regular cotton and other fabrics get the holes, too.), which is further aggravated by having a jean snap or similar behind it.

Sealing your granite will really not help much, given that it is more of a reaction coupled with a specific type of wear.
    The best suggestion is to wear an apron or tuck the front of your shirt into your pants and wear very sturdy pants.
    And, amazingly, the adults working at home decades ago also wore aprons to prevent, not only spills on their clothes, but to prevent the tiny screws, which held the metal countertop edges in place, from snagging their clothing.

I am very surprised by the number of people unwilling to research this problem and be so willing to offer myths as responses and those that demean the person inquiring. It is disappointing. This is supposed to be a forum for help, not ridicule.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

mldj:

"There are a number of sources on the internet describing this problem and the cause. There are even the scientific types offering the reason for the interaction to cause the tiny holes."

Please link; I'm very skeptical. Any stone with a gloss finished edge, and that's most, aren't ruining clothes. Maybe a chiseled edge.

• User
    5 years ago

Joseph Corlett, LLC - I first saw the videos when a granite supplier showed them to me. The comments made at the time when this problem was being discussed with a team of contractors made note of the tiny holes in clothing only occurring in the waist area or same level as a countertop, which would automatically exclude any other reasons (like bugs, washing machines or detergents, because they are not known to only attack one spot on clothing). The video presenter also said that a simple experiment conducted by rubbing fabric on granite and noting that fabric with more synthetic fibers gets holes faster than thick cotton and fabric with a firm backing (like a jeans snap or similar might provide) showed the holes faster than fabric without that hard items behind it would readily provide anyone with all the evidence they would need to find the source of the problem and end the seeming persecution of picky bugs who only favored fabric next to belly buttons. I did try rubbing already ruined shirts on the smooth edge of my granite countertop...and, yep, tiny holes. I"m sorry that I do not recall the sources of the videos. This took place a few years ago. I'm sure you could repeat the experiment or look for reputable resources online that don't try to blame exclusive bugs or random washing machine attacks.

• wiscokid
    5 years ago

Except that I get those holes and I don't have granite. This was discussed for years back on the Laundry forum on the old GW. I can't remember what was decided.

• User
    5 years ago

wiscokid - It can happen with other countertops, especially if there is a jeans snap behind the shirt. It just happens faster with granite and synthetic knits.

• wiscokid
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Sure - but I don't actually wear jeans that much anymore, and I still have old formica (and I don't really spend that much time in my kitchen where I am rubbing against the counters - DH is the chef, not me so much). Plus, in mine, they're not at the navel and the shirts that it happens with are 100% cotton from Target (Merona line, RIP). I am inclined to blame the plastic knob on my seatbelt coupled with the inferior/thin materials of women's t-shirts these days.

• Gill
    5 years ago

I was reading this thread with something like amusement because of the mystery aspect and because it had nothing to do with me. However, today I discovered small counter height holes in a t-shirt I bought my husband a month ago! We don't have granite, we have quartz. When we first installed the quartz his belt buckle kept making black marks on it (which I could rub off with an eraser, but which still bothered me) so I asked him to untuck his shirt when he is doing dishes. Now he has holes on the exact spot where his belt would be rubbing against our polished quartz counter. It is not the quartz counter per se, it is the combination of the hard surface on one side, the belt buckle on the other that damages the clothes.. (I have no holes in my shirts but I don't wear a belt.) We have not changed our laundry machines or our detergent. The only thing we have changed is the counter top and the fact that he now untucks his shirt so he doesn't ding up the counter.

• bluesea23
    5 years ago
    The Lady is quite right about her counter tops. Since I had them installed 3 yrs ago I have ruined loads of tops in exactly the same place.
  • User
    5 years ago

Want to settle this? It's easy...

Take an old t-shirt (maybe one with the little holes in it)....stretch it and rub against your countertop....then put something, like the button or hard seam of your jeans closure behind it...stretch it appropriately and rub it against your countertop.

I watched an entire demonstration about how clothing is ruined against a granite countertop, but there are other hard surfaces on countertops, which can also do it, depending on how much you need to lean into your countertop, thinness of your shirt and the hardness of your jeans button. The guy was selling a coating which reduced the static of the granite, which made it less likely to react with knit fabrics. It is a combination of the wear AND the granite (regardless of how smooth it is...though, obviously, rough edges will be worse).

If you ask your granite fabricator to smooth the edges and fill any fissures, he has undoubtedly heard of the mysterious tiny holes on t-shirts problems. Most of them have by now.

It is not an strange bug, which only feasts on belly button area portions of your shirts or a sudden new development with seat belts that leaves your shoulders, hips and chest areas free of holes while targeting only your belly button area (or higher on shorter people and lower on taller people).

This is a real problem and a common one had mostly by people with granite countertops, but also with some with other countertops. I can't believe the people willing to laugh at the problem or to demean and laugh at others for knowing it was the countertop and then offering the notion that a bug exists that will only eat belly button area fabric (or higher for shorter people and lower for taller people) as their solution.

But, seriously, it isn't difficult. Wear an old shirt backwards with your usual jeans...rub against the countertop. The holes happen pretty quickly, depending on the type of fabric. The blends with synthetics react faster.

By the way, the different type of sealer the guy was selling did help for about two weeks and that was it. The people who have been dealing with granite for a long time usually just suggest tucking in your shirts or wearing an apron. You can also place a kitchen towel over the area where you lean a lot, like by your sink.

• hemina
    5 years ago
    I know this is an old tread but I had to post...I had granite in a house until 2010-all my tee shirts from that era had holes where belly meets counter. At the time I thought it was the front loader. We moved to a house with tile counters-no holes in the newer shirts. We’re now moving into a house with quartz...I’m wearing an apron!
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

This has to be one of most silly threads on Houzz. Go stand and/or work at your counters. Your clothes do not touch them.

• donna_loomis
    5 years ago

Joseph, I don't have granite, so I can't weigh in on what's causing the issue, but I CAN tell you that of course my clothing touches my counter. Every time I reach for something near the wall or in an upper cabinet, or even while doing dishes. I don't think I'm extremely sloppy, but water does splash sometimes and my mid section occasionally gets wet.

• genglo
    3 years ago

The same thing is happening to me. I have an ogee edge and the corner edge is snagging all my shirts. At least half dozen tshirts have tiny holes where they contact the counter. I actually have cling wrap over it to save my shirts but I'm calling my granite guy for sure.

• sushipup1
    3 years ago

Necro spammer alert!

• PRO
    Signature Design Service LLC
    3 years ago

This has happened to so many of my shirts from both granite and Formica counters. I put a strip of masking tape on the small overhang on the underside of all the counters and it has completely stopped the holes. When I start getting holes again, it means I need to replace the tape. If you rub a paper towel along the underside you will be amazed how it gets shredded from the counter material.

• skremer1
    2 years ago

I have quartz countertops, and I have ruined so many shirts. We have a 36” counter and a 39” counter. I’ve tested it out on both quartz counter tops with brand new t-shirts and definitely the countertops are the culprit. Even though the counter tops “feel” smooth to the touch, I can find a little roughness on the edges.

I have to wear an apron. I even put Saran cling wrap on the edges until the installer can either smooth over, or fill in with a resin, or something else.

Does anyone know exactly what to do? We’ve put in a lot of money on these quartz countertops.

Thanks

• skremer1
    2 years ago

The quartz installer buffed out the edges, and I no longer get holes in my shirts. Take a microfiber cloth and run along the edges to find out where it catches.

• cheri127
    2 years ago

I always giggle when this thread resurfaces because of the bug theory. I believe the real culprit is the rubbish fabric being used to make clothes these days. I have T-shirts from 15 years ago with no holes while newer ones get them after several wearings. Price doesn't matter. I had a Vince T-shirt that cost $85 that got a hole in the jean button area after wearing it once. It's the crappy fabric, not the granite.

• skremer1
    last year

If you are getting holes in your shirts from your countertops.
    Slowly run a microfiber cloth along the edges. The microfiber cloth will catch and you can feel where your shirts get snagged. Or try an old pair of nylon stockings. The countertops need buffed or filled in with resin.