Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
backsplash question - feature tiles - Motawi and linen subway

Posted by Caspian101 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 20:14

Hello all,

I wanted to run this by everyone. For our backsplash, we would like to incorporate 4 feature 4" Motawi tiles over the oven. They will be framed by 1" tiles to make each feature a 6" by 6" item that will fit well with 3" x 6" subway tiles.

Do you think the colours will work together?

These feature tiles: Dragonfly, butterfly, bee and locus in olive

https://www.motawi.com/store/4x4-bee

with these subway tiles in "linen"

http://www.bullnosetile.com/images/Lines/Reflections/linen_9.jpg

The kitchen is white shaker cabinets (BM Acadian white) with soapstone, 1/4 sawn oak floor and some yellow (BM concord ivory) on the walls.

Thanks,
Caspian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: backsplash question - feature tiles - Motawi and linen subway

Hard to tell, with monitors varying. I have similar Motawi tiles as accents (Dard Rose and other flowers, in the green colors) and found that it was difficult to really tell what the colors were until I got them. I'd bite the bullet and order the Motawi, then shop for your field tile.

By the way...are you planning to use Motawi tiles as the 1" border? Be aware (if you aren't already) that the Motawi tiles are much thicker than standard other tiles (nearly 1/2" thick), so you have to worry about the edges showing or doing some creative drywall/mastic work to make the accents and field tiles level.

What I ended up doing was buying 1" square and 4X1 tiles from Motawi to frame the 4X4s with and having them "edge glazed on one or two sides as needed. Cost me a small fortune, but worth it.

FYI...some pics of how it came out:
the light well wall

towel foot adorned

wood and tile hood

o

Melissastar,
This is fantastic! That is exactly what we were envisioning. Thank you for posting!

The field tiles we are using are also 1/2 inch thick hand made tiles so the thicknesses should work.
We have a local store that has the Motawi tiles in stock so we can see the tiles in hand.
One of our concerns was that the lighter field tiles would not work with the darker/stronger field tiles. However, seeing yours, it looks great.
Thanks
Caspian

o

Melissastar-your hood detail is gorgeous!

o

Haen't been around much and just saw this...
thanks Caspian. I think it works is because of the light grout.

Localeater: Thanks. It was the only part of the kitchen that I DIY'd. That is, I put the tiles up, I didn't make the hood!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here