Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

Tips on cutting this laminate counter

weedyacres
11 years ago

We're re-doing the kitchen in a small rental. It's U-shaped and I bought 3 prefab slabs of laminate counters with 1 mitered side. The challenge is that the piece along the back wall needs to be mitered on 2 sides.

I need to cut the miter on the currently straight side and then router out draw bolt holes on the underside. It's simple in concept, but I'm a little skittish about cutting the miter, in particular through the backsplash portion.

Any tips on how to do this easily--and, more importantly--straight and cleanly?

Comments (9)

• hags00
    11 years ago

Here is a great website

Here is a link that might be useful: Cutting laminate

• Clarion
    11 years ago

This is not a DIY project. You will need a large tablesaw sufficient to cut the backsplash, and the angles will need to be measured. Doubtful that the cabinets and walls are all exactly 45 degrees.

After that, you have the sink cut-out.

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

Either buy a couple of cheap sections to practice on, or call around to find a fabricator. It's not at all easy to do, even for a pretty experienced DIYer.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

I should preface this by saying that I have never cut laminate, so I am not sure this will work. However, I suggest making yourself a straightedge guide for your circular saw.

Oh, I just looked at hags's link, and see the same idea, but even extended to a guide that wraps around the backsplash. Best of luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: saw guide

• cabmanct
    11 years ago

Find a local cabinet shop with a sliding saw, you will need at least a 12" or greater 100 tooth laminate blade.
    They will be able to miter it at both ends so it fits perfectly and the laminate doesn't chip.

• _sophiewheeler
    11 years ago

Do a 3,4,5 measurement to figure out how out of square those corners are and that will tell you if you really even want to think about tackling this. The hassle factor and mistake chances are high, and the reward is little for this to be a DIY project when just paying someone to do it isn't gonna break the bank.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I see on the DIY shows that you should also cut with the good side facing down, and lay tape to cut thru to minimize chipping.

I'll do a lot of things on my own, with ignorance being the guiding factor.
    This is one thing I wouldn't do myself. To do it well, it's a bigger job than just running a circular saw thru it.

• weedyacres
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I checked out the links and googled some other stuff, and didn't see an error-proof way to get the miter cut clean through the backsplash portion, even cutting from the bottom side, taping it, and making a straightedge saw guide.

So I called around and found a place that will cut the miter and router the draw bolt holes for $30 while I wait. I'm afraid this intrepid DIY-er is going to hand it to the pros.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

The better part of valor is discretion

Henry The Fourth, Part 1 Act 5, scene 4