Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donaleen

Posting pictures

Donaleen Kohn
11 years ago

I am having a real problem with this. I've looked and looked at the site and can't figure out why. I can upload one photo. But some people put many photos in a post. HOw? How? How?

I've studied the page source code for their entries and my attempts. They seem the same BUT their photos post and mine do not. Please help.

I am trying to use (with pointy brackets around it)

img src="http://www.flickr.com/photos/donaleen/7981055468"; alt="countertop"

Comments (23)

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Copy the HTML link into the email - you don't see the pictures until you go to preview.

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What email?

When I go to preview, I see how it looks when you have a missing photo.

Oh, I hope you can help me.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

oops, meant the post - not sure why you are having trouble - I use photo bucket

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

If you upload directly from your computer, it's one per post (per Tamara). But if you link to photos hosted online, you can add as many as you like.

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, that is what I am trying to do. Link to my Flickr photos. Does gardenweb dislike Flickr for some reason? Should I try Picasaweb? I don't think I have any other photo sites.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

This is the way I post multiple pictures:
    I have the GW page open and type my message. Then I open another tab/window and go to my photobucket account. I copy HTML code for the picture i want and then go back to the GW page and paste the code. I hit return to move cursor down and then go back to the photobucket tab copy another code. Return to the GW post page and paste the code. You can repeat that procedure until you get as many pictures as you want in the post. Works fine for me.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Remember you won't see the pictures until you hit preview message. Paste all you picture codes before you hit preview.

• cawaps
    11 years ago

Your method should work if you open with an opening pointy bracket (less than) and end with a forward slash and then a closing pointy bracket (greater than). Were you forgetting the slash?

I don't know what the "alt=" does.

Badgergal's approach also works--I don't know about flickr but when you copy out of Photobucket you have several options, and all you have to do is copy the html code one into your post.

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-q-zfl9gXlyc/UFEvH4Ddz5I/AAAAAAAAE80/JwBZm3NOAJo/s491/WinterGreen.jpg

This is what I get. I am trying Picasaweb in case Flickr is weird.

Boy am I feeling like a dunce!

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

{{!gwi}}

Aha... I got it to work with the HTML code an Picasaweb. Not with Flickr though. I think Flickr is my issue. Thanks everybody!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Yeah!

• aries61
    11 years ago

Here's the image from Flickr photos.

Here's the source code:
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8169/7981055468_0ac329850d_m.jpg

If you look you can see the source code is different then you tried.

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So, how did you get that source code?

Not that I see it, I remember some weird thing about Flickr. But I can't remember how you get that source code?

My link reads like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/donaleen/7981055468"; alt="countertop

How did you get from what I see to what you posted?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8169/7981055468_0ac329850d_m.jpg

• laughablemoments
    11 years ago

Thanks for asking about this! The new improvements have made me feel a bit batty. :/

I've had pictures disappear on me when I make changes after previewing my message; I don't think I'm the only one with this issue either. I've found that if I use the back button rather than the preview button when I need to make a change, then my uploaded file is preserved.

• aries61
    11 years ago

donaleen: I right clicked on the picture and viewed source and copied it.

I thought that the source code that you used looked a little strange since it didn't have .jpg with it.

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I found this which describes one way to do it

Click on the view all size... New page will open..

in this page right click on the : Download the medium 500 size of this photo.

Click on the Copy link location.

And, I get this...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8169/7981055468_0ac329850d_z_d.jpg

I think Flickr is making life harder than it has to be.... I don't know why, though.

And yes, Laughable. I agree. Some sites take some getting used to. This seems to be one of them. Why does everyone have to have their own rules? My small mind gets confused.

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Aries61,

What browser are you in? I use Chrome and Firefox. Right clicking on the picture doesn't give me that. I can right click on the page and do view page source, which gives me all the html to display the page. And then I can dig the image src url out of that.

If that is what you mean, I still say Flickr is making it hard.

If it isn't what you mean, please, please enlighten me.

thanks
    donaleen

• aries61
    11 years ago

donaleen,

I'm using firefox. I went http://www.flickr.com/photos/donaleen , then right clicked on the second image and clicked on view image info which gave me the location of the picture.

Hopefully this helps. There is no consistency on how to get the information you need from site to site.

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks, Aries61. I got your method to work perfectly in both browsers.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Yeah, I agree that Flickr is the problem. On the page you linked originally, it says:

Looking for the HTML code and photo file link? Check out this FAQ

If you go to the hyperlinked FAQ page, it says:

Where is the HTML code and photo file link?

The HTML code to embed a photo in a web page that you used to find on the All Sizes page is now only in the Share menu above the photo, to the right of the Actions menu. We now also include BBCode! (standard message board code)

There are a few cases where the code may not be available: 1) If the photo is restricted. 2) If that person has turned off "Share this" or access to original files.

The direct link to a photo file is no longer shown on the page. Per the Flickr Community Guidelines "pages on other websites that display content hosted on flickr.com must provide a link from each photo or video back to its page on Flickr." Linking directly to the photo file doesn't do this.

However, I cannot find the "Share" menu it refers to, or anything else for that matter. Goodbye, Flickr!

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

If you're using Firefox, why don't you right-click and choose Copy Image Location?
    That will give you the correct URL to the picture where it stands.

The alt= tag is so when you mouse over a photo, what ever is in the Alt becomes the title.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    11 years ago

The flickr share menu appears when you click on the individual photo

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

But the Flickr share menu only lets you link. I did some research and Flickr changed their share menu a while ago. They just want links. Who knows why.

I think the secret with Flickr is to be on a page that shows lots of pictures (like photostream) and then right click to get Copy Image URL, at least in Chrome..

Anyway, thanks everybody.