Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rookie_2010

Finished White and Black kitchen!!!!! PICS

rookie_2010
13 years ago

Well,

I guess it's FINALLY finished. I'm still sort of experimenting around with accessories and waiting for the breakfast table and chairs to be delivered. I owe so much to this forum, everyone was SO helpful and so many of your kitchens were very inspirational. I've posted progress pics regularly throughout the past 6 months or so, sorry if this seems repetitive.

I LOVE the way it turned out and am so excited to be using it! I still have some work to do, like getting a new toaster and picking up the glass for the cabinet doors....

Thanks so much everyone! Details to follow pics.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Details:

-Candlelight cabs in Victorian White

-Leathered cambrian granite perimeter

-Honed calacatta gold island top and backsplash

-Viking range 48'

-Viking counter-depth frig

-Artisan zero radius sink

-Price Pfister Ashfield faucet, main sink

-Island faucet, can't remember what it is because it was a last minute replacement from HD.

-Shaw red oak floors

-Masonite chalkboard pantry door

-Kitchenaid Architect II microwave (only one that would fit in the cutout)

-Hardware is Restoration Hardware Gilmore pulls and knobs

Comments (56)

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Just beautiful! Love the honed granite with the marble on the island and backsplash.

• cpartist
    13 years ago

really beautiful.

• megfitz
    13 years ago

That is my dream kitchen! I esp love the lighting over the island. Congratualtions and enjoy!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I love how classic and pretty it is. It also looks incredibly functional and easy to work in. I wish you many years of making wonderful meals and memories in it. ;)

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Oh my! What a wonderful kitchen! Congratulations!

• roseofblue
    13 years ago

Looks like your not a rookie, anymore! Just a beautiful kitchen, love all of it, want your Marble back splash and Island! We may be selecting similar white cabinets, yours are very Inspiring! We just listed our vintage Youngstown steel cabinets and SS counters, also. And as soon as these sell, we will take down the wall between the Dining Room and Kitchen! Wish that we were all finished and that it looked as lovely as yours! CONGRATULATIONS! roseofblue

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I'm so glad I decided to check in one more time before turning the computer off! It's breathtaking! And very functional looking. I think I would just stand there admiring it all day if I were you. The island is just...just....JUST!!

Can I ask a couple of questions? How tall are your ceilings? Which paint color did you use? What are your kitchen dimensions?

Have fun cooking breakfast in the morning!

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Ohhhh, Rookie! I have been watching for your finished photos, as I have drooled over all your teaser pics, and it has certainly been worth the wait! ;^)

It is really beautiful! I am coveting your range! I love your backsplash--it is so perfect in your kitchen--with that marble and leathered granite! I love your pendants, too. That hutch cabinet next to your fridge is really lovely--what do you keep in the little drawers on the bottom or are those a faux front to a larger drawer? I love the look!

You must feel like dancing every time you walk into that GORGEOUS space! I'm so happy for you!

BIG, BIG Congrats! Now I'm scrolling back up to drool some more!

• mm92672
    13 years ago

Wow!
    We are remodeling our house now and about to finalize our kitchen design. We just have to choose between wood and MDF as the material for the doors. What did you use? We are really struggling over this decision and most photo tours do not mention this detail.

You kitchen is so inspirational, we are now discussing making a last minute change.

Great job. It is amazing.

• Jbrig
    13 years ago

Wow, rookie, you did a wonderful job! I agree w/ all of the other posters who've already said it better than I could have, anyway! Way to go--all that's left to do now is enjoy it! (oh, and those few little minor details you mentioned--but you're on the downhill stretch now!)

• theresse
    13 years ago

Wowwy wow wow! Just superb. Classic and classy. I love all these night time pics w/ that low lighting...makes me want to come down there late at night for a snack and just sweep my arm across the never-ending buttery smooth surfaces while I wait for something to warm up in the microwave. :)

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Wonderful, gorgeous...the style is really well put together and everything just 'fits.' My favorite part still has to be the way you used the slab marble around the mosaic center piece in the backsplash behind the stove...and with the mosaic throughout the rest of the room. So cool.

• tanders
    13 years ago

Oh my goodness! So beautiful and elegant looking! Enjoy your wonderful new space!

I love your long basket on the counter. I've been looking all over for something similar. Would you mind sharing where you found your basket? Thank you!

• rookie_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for all your kinds words! Shanghaimom, your kitchen is a favorite of mine, it's beyond beautiful! I think you're right about the spare microwave, I've been thinking about it......

Breezygirl,
    The ceilings are 9', the kitchen is just about 14x14, not including the breakfast nook that I don't have a picture of yet. The paint color is Sherwin Williams Dried Thyme, lightened a couple shades. Thanks for asking!

Hi Shelayne, those little drawers are real but empty at the moment. I'm not sure what will end up in there, but I'm thinking they'll come in handy.

Mm92672, the cabinets are maple. Finalizing the kitchen materials is not easy, best of luck to you on your remodel!

Tanders, I bought that basket about 5 years ago in a local shop. It's been on my dining room table until now. Well, I just found that Crate and Barrel has the same one on their website! So, I ordered another so I can have one for the island and one for the table. Although, I doubt that basket will last long on the island, it takes up too much real estate. Thanks!

• onelady1dog2girls
    13 years ago

Rookie, this is really breathtaking. Your countertops and backsplash are showstoppers. Love the choice of honed calacatta on the island. Can you share the brand of tile mosaic?

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Beautiful! It has been so much fun watching your gorgeous kitchen unfold over the past few months. And now the big reveal: stunning! Of all the things I love about your kitchen, the thing I love the best is how you've made a largely white kitchen so rich and multidimensional with layerings of colors and textures, while all making it blend to perfection. Congrats!

• donna murphy
    13 years ago

Dear Rookie,
    I am drooling! Absolutely gorgeous kitchen. I could just stare at your range and range hood detail all day! Fantastic. I wondered if you could show a picture of the pantry door with masonite chalkboard? I am in the midst of a whole house renovation, kitchen is where I spend 99% of my brainpower. I hope to post at some point, still in the bare wall stage, no sheetrock yet. thanks again. enjoy your lovely kitchen!

• aokat15
    13 years ago

Rookie!!! Your space looks FANTASTIC!!!! I have loved watching your progress and I love all of your choices - that first evening pic with the lights on is absolutely gorgeous!!! So happy for you - enjoy!!!

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

WOW! There are so many fantastic things in your kitchen. It's beautiful. I love the marble - especially behind the range. The glass cabinets are great - love it all around and then the cabinet next to the frig really finishes the look. You did a wonderful job for a stunning kitchen.

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Hi rookie..

Aw...it looks sooo great! I am still loving your lights...and honing the counters was such a great idea that I never would have thought of! Well done and enjoy it!

KA:)

• pugrolls
    13 years ago

I'm pretty sure I've already drooled over your kitchen in a comment, but here, I'll do it again:

::DROOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLL::

Congrats. It's absolutely a drool-worthy space. You should be proud of yourself! :)

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

Love what you did especially how you incorporated the marble-the island, the slab backsplash, and the mosaic. With these neutral choices you can have so much fun with your accent colors as anything will work. Congratulations on a truly wonderful space!!!

• niffy
    13 years ago

rookie, it is gorgeous! your cabinets are beautiful and the marble is to-die-for. i love all your choices - i even have one of your lanterns hanging in a hallway in our home, so we are definitely on the same wavelength! love, love, love it - enjoy it!

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    13 years ago

Rookie, beautiful kitchen, and beautifully accessorized, too! The range is a gorgeous focal area -- especially love the bird : ). Happy cooking!

Becky

• rookie_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, thanks again everyone!
    Onelady1dog2girls, I don't know if the mosaic is actually a brand. I went through the installer to get it because he has an account with a stone distributor. It's honed calacatta 3/4x3/4 squares. Maybe if you Google it, you'll come up with some reputable sources?

Donnaclover,
    I'll be glad to take a pic of the pantry door. I didn't realize I'd left it out. Masonite is the brand, they have a nice website.

Thanks again for all your kind words! Niffy, I have more of those lantern pendants throughout the house, I LOVE them. And I LOVE your house and have drooled over your kitchen pics a thousand times so I guess we are on the same wavelength!

Beckysharp, thanks! I wasn't sure about the accessories. I took the advice of the forum, as usual, and didn't buy anything new yet. So far, it's all from my old house. I'm trying to just stay calm and not go overboard buying "stuff".

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Wow...spectacular...I love how your cabinets go all the way to the ceiling.

• Susied3
    13 years ago

Rookie, it's beautiful! Going into my inspiration file. I love the cabinets. I know you said that they are Candelight Cabs in Victorian White, I'm wondering, is that their own paint line or is that color from a major known line of paints? I love it!

Enjoy it, Thanksgiving will be here before you know it!

• donna murphy
    13 years ago

Rookie, I checked out the Masonite website for the chalkboard doors. I loved them, glad to know you used them in your gorgeous sophisticated kitchen. It adds a great feel.....my kitchen is far from farmhouse style, but I think the door will work. Plus practical for the reminder to buy more fruity pebbles & fancy feast!

• missmuffet
    13 years ago

Rookie - that is an amazing kitchen. You've got me second guessing the cabinets. . .

• rookie_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Vampiressrn!

Susied3,
    Victorian white is a Candlelight specific color. I love it now but it was very difficult for me to get the cabs to look right in the house because Victorian white has some serious pink undertones! That's how I found my wall paint shade, in the spirit of canceling out the pink. Like I said, I love it now, I just found it to be more difficult to pull off than I expected. Now that I have the right paint color and painted the trim a shade closer to the cabinet color, there's no pink.

Donnaclover, I took a pic of the door and can't find the cable I need to upload! We have so much unpacking to do..... sorry! I don't think all their chalkboard doors fit only farmhouse style kitchens, it depends on the wood, in my opinion. I have the knotty alder one but I think the full one-panel chalkboard door could look more transitional. I haven't written on mine yet, I keep forgetting to buy chalk, lol.

Missmuffet,
    Thanks! I can honestly say that I didn't second guess the cabinets, not even once but I sure did second/third/fourth guess EVERYTHING else. Especially the countertops and backsplash. It was awful, I was all over the place until the last minute..... I think we all do it. Good luck!

• irishcreamgirl
    13 years ago

Rookie_2010 please tell me what your lights are. They caught my eye as soon as I saw your pics. Then I realized I think they are the very light I have favorited and want to get for my foryer. Are they Charthouse Mini Arch lights? If so what finish? I've been contemplating the ORB finish.

Your kitchen is stunning!

• marcolo
    13 years ago

Wow. That is a very special kitchen. You know, sometimes I find white kitchens beautiful but a little stark. What's amazing about yours is how warm it is.

Truly lovely, pure eye candy. You've packed so much to look at into your space, and yet it's all so restrained and serene. Congratulations!

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

I have alot of "especially loves" in this kitchen of yours! Adore the calcutta marble and the way you handled it on your backsplash. LOVE LOVE LOVE the small glass cabs you have going to the ceiling and also the great to the counter cab you have next to the frig. Just so many creative and beautiful design choices that made it truly a unique and special kitchen. congratulations on a great job!

• rookie_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello,
    Thanks Irishcreamgirl, the pendants are the mini-arch topped lantern in ORB. I bought them online from Circa Lighting.

Marcolo, thank you so much for such a thoughtful compliment! I was actually nervous about the space being stark and tried to change the island to a stained wood at the last minute but it was too late. I'm so glad that the restraint is still evident, I thought I blew the concept right out of the water with that backsplash.

Remodelfla, thanks so much! First things first, I hope you're own remodel is going well!
    The things you listed are also my favorite things about the room. I didn't expect the room to be considered unique since it's a kitchen on GW with black counters, white cabs and a wood floor:) Thanks again!

• marcolo
    13 years ago

rookie, one of the cool things about designs like yours is that it obeys that old rule about getting all dressed up for a party, then taking off one piece of jewelry. You have a lot of complex lines in that kitchen--the backsplash, all the details of the beading and inset cabs, the very linear pendants, etc. But the restrained color balances it out. In my personal taste, a lot of white kitchens would look better if they followed your lead, and added tons of interest in texture to a fairly mono- or duo-chromatic palette. Very, very well done.

• remodel-mama
    13 years ago

Woohoo! Congrats! It looks amazing!

• lyvia
    13 years ago

gorgeous. I love this.

• rookie_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again Marcolo, the mono chromatic (or duo) texture was the only thing in that kitchen, design wise, that I did on purpose. I'm too afraid of color-commitment when it comes to anything beyond paint. There were so many colorful hand-painted tiles that I wanted to consider but I had to realize that similar to my wardrobe, I'm afraid of print and prefer to accessorize with them vice live in them. Thanks again for the kind words. I'll be looking forward to updates on your kitchen as you move forward!

Remodel-mama and Lyvia,
    Thank you very much!

• joanr
    13 years ago

This is one beautiful kitchen and what a pleasure it is going to be to work in. I love the upper cabinet that goes all the way to the counter next to the fridge. It is just eyecatching. Your eye to detail certainly shows in all aspects of your kitchen. Simply beautiful!!!

One question - could you tell me the size your your prep sink and the manufacturer. I really like the size of it in your island.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

Oh Rookie, this is beautiful! I wonder how I missed it when you posted it, must have been away. So glad it was bumped up.

It looks so great, it has been such fun watching all of your progress!

• homey_bird
    13 years ago

Wow! The granite and marble are phenomenal as are the other aspects of the kitchen.

Congratulations and enjoy the kitchen....

• rookie_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much Joanr! The sink is half a regular sized double stainless sink. The countertop installer suggested it. He cut the double sink in half so I'd have the depth of a "real" sink. It's 16x13. I really wanted the depth so I wouldn't worry about splashing all over the place.
    Thanks Beekeeperswife! I think I posted in the middle of a weekend, that's probably why you missed it. It sure was some slow progress there for a while!
    Thanks Homey bird! I'm really happy with the granite and marble, so far, I've have no issues to report.
    I have an updated pic, since I left out the pantry door the first time around and have finally gotten a table:
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I love just about everything in the kitchen and only have 3 regrets to report:
    1. I should have gotten a pull down spray faucet for the island sink.
    2. I should have gotten a second trash pull out in the island right under the sink. Instead, I put a small trash can inside the cabinet. I guess I'll have to take a look at rev-a-shelf if I get sick of opening the cabinet door and reaching in there while prepping/cooking.
    3. The Bosch dishwasher drives me NUTS. It beeps when it's finished which is great. If I don't go open and close the door, it beeps 2 minutes later and continues to beep every 2 minutes or so. I feel like it's pressuring me to go open it and empty it! Time to read the manual!
    And one overall observation is that everything beeps. The oven beeps when it's finished pre-heating, the frig beeps when the door is left open, of course there's the DW and then the microwave beeps when the heat time is up but keeps beeping until I open the door, much like the DW. Outside the kitchen, the alarm beeps, the washer and dryer both beep. Beep, beep, beep. I'm getting beep anxiety. I hear a beep, I think I have to get up and do something.

Thanks again for the kind kitchen compliments!

• Apolonia3
    13 years ago

Hi Rookie!
    I love your new table and chairs. It all looks so cozy, you have done a great job!
    Can you please tell me the color of the stain on your doors and also where did you get your pea gravel that's under the walkout basement? I haven't seen that color before, does it have a name? I tried to keep up with your posts, but I may have missed some. Thank you and enjoy your lovely new home!
    Autumn

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Rookie, I can't believe I missed your big reveal, but I was gone most of Sept. I'm so glad this got bumped! Your kitchen is beyond words! I could go on and on about what I love (counters, lights, cabs, etc.), but your kitchen is a complete success IMO because it looks like home--a beautiful, wonderfully functional space that you just want to lose yourself in cooking & baking & roasting wonderful dishes! I'm sure you & your family will have many wonderful years & meals in this wonderfully warm home. Thank you for sharing this journey with us!

• motherof3sons
    13 years ago

Gorgeous. Just absolutely gorgeous.

• rookie_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Autumn09 and Mostherof3sons!! I'll see if I have the invoice for the under-the-deck stone. Hopefully, it has a name on there. I can't remember, I believe I only asked for "some small stones". Thanks!

Flwrs_n_co, thank you so much for the warm and thoughtful compliment and the well wishes! I really appreciate all the generosity of this forum and the positive atmosphere. Thanks!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

I am really anti-backsplash, especially elaborate things behind ranges .... but i love yours. So simple, just lovely.

Enjoy!

• rookie_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Mtndredux! I didn't originally plan on the behind-the-range focal point backsplash because it was too much pressure and I felt that less was more after all. But I realized quickly that I needed something to break up all the pixelated mosaic. Luckily, I had remnants from the same slab used on the island so I went for it. Choosing a backsplash or any tile was really, really difficult for me. So many options, then there are grout options too!

I still wonder why it was easier for me to choose and buy a car than it was a backsplash :)

• tamihs13
    13 years ago

i'm having a problem opening your pictures. it says they have been deleted. is there somewhere else i could see them. i don't see them on the FKB

• heidino2_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

ROOKIE, Is there any way you could post a pic again of your cabinets? It said the photos have been removed but I am second guessing my decision to order the Victorian White and need some reassurance ;)