Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

How To Insert A Pic?

lynninnewmexico
16 years ago

Would someone please tell me in simple, basic English how to insert a pic into a post here . . . please? And, please, please don't give me a link to the how-to for this site. (Sigh!)As savvy as I am doing many things on the computer, I have an extremely hard time reading most computer directions written by computer geeks; I couldn't seem to make the directions posted by GW work for me (insert a very red face here). Simple "1,2,3 and you're done" directions would be very (very) much appreciated.

Comments (80)

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Sorry everyone! Apparently a "non breaking space" code works in preview but not submit! I was trying to insert multiple spaces! Here it is without the attempt to be fancy!! :-)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'd like to add some things.

(1) Photobucket now has the following 4 labels:

Email & IM
    Direct Link
    HTML Code
    IMG Code

HTML Code is the one you want (it used to say HTML Tag, I think)

(2) When resizing, resize so the the dimensions (pixels) are less than 600 in both directions (less than 500 is even better)

(3) Sometimes when someone posts a picture it's not visible to others because the album is not "Public". If others report they cannot see your posted picture, check the visibility of your album. In Photobucket:

Click on Account Options in the upper right hand corner of the screen (underneath the advertisement)

Next, look down the page until you see "Album Settings" (it should be in the third section)

Look for the line: This album is
    It should say This album is public
    If it says private, then do the following:
    Where it says:
    Album Settings (edit my album settings)

Click on: edit my album settings

The first section is: Change Album Settings

Under "My album is:", click on the drop down box and choose Public

Now, look down a few lines on the right and click the Save button

You should now see (at the top): Your information has been successfully saved

To return, click on the "My Album" tab

[Tabs look like manila folder or notebook divider tabs and go across the top with a label in each tab...in this case there are 3 main tabs: Home, My Album, Find Stuff]

HTH!

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

celtic moon
    thanks so much for your post on 9/11. I have tried and tried to post pics but couldn't until I read that post. I just inserted a pic in the knobs vs pulls thread. That was a big accomplishment for me - computer challenged as I am. Thanks again. And here is a pic just because I can.

• Lyban zone 4
    16 years ago

Testing. Trying to insert a photo.

MY BACKSPLASH: {{!gwi}}

• wryorwhite
    16 years ago

I would like to post a pdf of a drawing instead. Can that be inserted? Photobucket won't recognize it as a valid extension.

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Someone recently posted a link to a PDF via a different site, but I don't remember who. What I do, though, is print the PDF, take a digital picture of it, and then upload the picture from my camera.

HTH!

• chrispmoto
    16 years ago

How do you post multiple pics in one post??

• celticmoon
    16 years ago

Just paste in the HTML code (>ahref=...) for each picture.

• sue_ct
    16 years ago

bump

• mlraff53
    16 years ago

My turn to learn ! thanks for the instructions

• mayvenne
    16 years ago

And, if you have a photo for example on a store website- how do you save it to photobucket to show as an image here without having to to just list it in the optional link thing?

Here is a link that might be useful: sample faucet

• thankurnmo
    16 years ago

Bump ----and a yes

Yes Yes that is my question too! I have now mastered posting my photos from photobucket but how do I get the photos to show up of ferinstance some lights I am considering?

• sue_ct
    16 years ago

Sorry this has taken a while for me to see and get back to you about, but I have had a few things going on. Anyway, if you have a photo you want to save from a website, go to the website and bring up the photo, put your cursor over it and right click on your mouse. Then click on "save image as" from the list that pops up. A "save image" window will appear. Make a note of the "save in" box at the top and the "file name" box towards the bottom of the new window, this will tell you what the photo will be called and where to find it on your computer. Usually "desktop" pops up and that is an easy place to find it, so you don't have to change it. If you want, rename it in the box at the bottom so you know what it is later, or leave it the same and just click on "save" in the box at the bottom right of the window. Now the photo is saved on your computer. Just go to photobucket, upload the photo from your computer the way you always do, and then post it here.

Hope this helps if you haven't already gotten the instructions from someone else.

Sue

• bluekitobsessed
    16 years ago

Is is possible to post photos that live only in my computer rather than take up residence on the internet? I have very shy photos.

• celticmoon
    16 years ago

No, bluekitobsessed. The picture has to live on the Web.

Beacause the photo itself isn't really here in the posts, just its Web address is here with a 'go get it' command. Your computer responds to all that lickety split and downloads the picture for you to see on your screen. Each time.

Which is why if someone moves or removes a picture in Photobucket it will no longer pop up on the thread. Cause the address is no good anymore.

HTH

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

BUMP

• boxiebabe
    15 years ago

My trial run. Hope this works!:

• boxiebabe
    15 years ago

Darnit, it didn't work.
    1) I typed in the (with spaces only after img)
    2) and then I cut & pasted the URL where the pic is
    3) then I typed >

What did I do wrong?

• boxiebabe
    15 years ago

bump

• glassman
    15 years ago

I think your problem in step 3 is that you need an ending quote following your URL as in: ">

• boxiebabe
    15 years ago

Still can't get it to work, but thanks for trying to help me glassman. So frustrating!

• boxiebabe
    15 years ago

I broke down and opened a Photobucket account - hoping that it would make it easier. Here's (another) try at it!
    Thanks for the help, and the patience. :)

• boxiebabe
    15 years ago

Whoopie! It worked!

---Boxie

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You know, Celticmoon was such a sweetie to have explained this to me/us so well, so simply and so graciously. Her suggestion to open a PhotoBucket account made everything a lot easier, too. Once I got the hang of it, I bookmarked this
    " Where I copy all my links to use here"
    in my Garden Web file folder in my Favorites. Now I can quickly go in and copy the "starter" for inserting a pic or a link, and then just insert my own info into it and I'm done.

• gego
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the detailed instructions. Are there any major differences when using a Mac?

• kitchenredo08
    15 years ago

Now my turn
    {{!gwi}}

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

bump

• phoggie
    15 years ago

Bump!

• abbycat9990
    15 years ago

ntt_hou: Thanks for the instructions on compressing photos! New laptop, new photo software and I couldn't figure it out. Now I can do it - Yay!

• softfurn
    15 years ago

Could someone please explain to this computer challenged person, how to copy these directions without copying the entire thread, and using up a whole tree?? ;)

• neesie
    15 years ago

Hi all! I've been using the photobucket instructions and successfully posting pictures for about three months.

But this last week I haven't been able to post any?????

Everytime I copy and paste the message board link it shows up in my message as a typed message board link. (I prefer it in the body of the message). When I copy it in the box that says "optional link URL" the same thing happens. No picture, just the typed link.

I know I hate taking the time to copy and paste other peoples typed URL'S, especially when I'm using my laptop and it's not so easy to maneuver. What's the solution? Get out of photobucket and into Webshots? I wish I could make photobucket work since that's where all my stuff is already downloaded. Advice, please!

• softfurn
    15 years ago

Selfishly bumping for an answer to my question, as I will need to post some pics soon.

• redbazel
    15 years ago

Softfurn, When you find the directions that seem the clearest to you, make sure you already have a Word document open that you can copy into. (I hope that makes sense!)
    Now, using your mouse or cursor, starting at the end of the paragraph you want to copy, hold down your Left hand mouse button and Highlight all the text you want to copy. You can drag your cursor up the page until you get all that you want. Then, release the Left cursor and Right click your mouse on the highlighted area. There will be a 'drop-down' box. Go down to the word 'copy' and Right click on copy.

Got that? You may need to play with the highlighting a little if you haven't done this before. And I like to start at the end of the info just because it's easier that way for me.

Now, click open your window to the Word document. At this point, you can either put your cursor in the beginning of the word document, Right click, and another box will come up, this time with the word 'paste' to highlight. Click on 'paste' and the info will copy into word. Then you can print the doc.
    Or, if you want to use the computer keys for this instead of the mouse, after you get the info highlighted, leaving your cursor in the highlighted area, hold down Control and C, this will Copy the highlighted area. Then, to put it into word, hold down Control and V. 'V' is your 'paste' key on the computer.

How are ya doin??

Red

• redbazel
    15 years ago

So, are you ready to post a photo?

Red

• softfurn
    15 years ago

Thanks for the explanation Red. I forgot to check back to see if anyone answered. I'll have to practice this before I can post. I've managed to get my friends to post for me on other forums. Guess I can't get away with that any longer. I hate when I get busted!

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

Bump for young 2008.

• softfurn
    15 years ago

This is a test. OK. So it's a little large. It took me 6 hours to figure out how to do this! Now what?

• momasgenrlcontractor
    15 years ago

bump

• softfurn
    15 years ago

So how do I resize this??? Also, how do I go about putting more than one picture in the same thread? Is there some sort of short cut??

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

Did you use Photobucket? If so, you resize it in photobucket. Go to your album in photobucket, above each photo it says " edit : move : tag : share : delete " Click on "edit". Once the page loads, click on "resize" at the top. Then click on the arrows next to "preset sizes" and you will see options. Choose the option "message board 640 x 480". Then click "apply". The resized photo will appear in your message. DO NOT change the name or anything else about the photo or it will change the photo address and it will no longer show up in your message. If you go back to your message the new size photo should show up. If not, you may need to refresh or reload the page on your computer to see the change. Try it and see, let us know if you have a problem.

Sue

• softfurn
    15 years ago

A

nother test to see if the resizing worked. I still need to find out how to post more than one picture in a thread, if anyone can help, please??? I need to design my kitchen asap!

• softfurn
    15 years ago

Bump

• wifeygirl
    15 years ago

Bump to help softfurn who needs help finding out how to post more than one picture in a thread, please

• softfurn
    15 years ago

aflac

• kaelkriver
    15 years ago

To help keep this at the top for others and to ask a question. If I understood what I read here one can either compress the photo before posting to Photobucket or one can resize once the photo resides in PB. Am I understanding correctly that if I compress the photo I don't need to resize? And depending on the answer is one way better than the other?

Thanks for the directions and the help.

• rosalita
    15 years ago

Excellent thread and much needed! Bump!!

• susan205
    15 years ago

testing

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

Bump. I think there are a lot of new people who could use this. Consider printing it out, mainly the first several pages, if you don't need it now. Keep it in your kitchen folder and when you are done and want to show us you will still have it. Just in case it goes away, which it probably will eventually when it has reached its maximum number of posts.

Sue

• straycat2010
    15 years ago

Thanks...this is most definitely very useful info!

Anita :-)

• furletcity
    15 years ago

After reading this post earlier today, I was able to post my first pics!

I'm still learning, but thanks to everyone who contributed to these wonderful instructions!

• idrive65
    15 years ago

just testing ...