Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fafafafa_gw

Granite suggestions for my kitchen

fafafafa
9 years ago

I'm trying to decide on which granite countertop to choose. The kitchen has oak cabinets . I eventually will change the rest of my appliances to stainless steel I am open to suggestions. Thanks!

Comments (8)

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

What's on the floor? Are you planning on doing a backsplash? Those will help decide what would look best on the counters.

• fafafafa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Swentastic,I was planning to add a backsplash but, not the floor right now. I was looking for light backsplash since my kitchen is very small and dark. The kashmir white was my first choice of granite.Do you have any ideas for me ?Thank you

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

Ahh ok well the reason I asked is that the colors in your flooring might affect what looks good on the counter.

Personally, I think dark greens are pretty with golden oak (uba tuba, verde peacock, verde butterfly). You can always install under cabinet lights to bring more task lighting into your kitchen.

There have been a lot of discussions on the forums here about working with the colors. What you've got is called "orange oak" or "golden oak" which might make it easier to search out threads.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Search: GW Granite w/ orange oak

• fafafafa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Swentastic, I forgot to add that i will stain my cabinets with espresso color.Which granite idea for dark cabinets and what about the backsplash ?thanks'

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

Much of this depends on your own personal tastes. You'll get lots of great advice here on GW but it is very subjective and won't matter a lick if its not what you like personally, or what fits in your budget.

I can suggest that you start combing houzz or Gardenweb, design blogs, etc. Make yourself a pinterest board (or even glue pics on poster board if you're the tangible type) of all the kitchens you really love, and then narrow it down to some common elements. Grab a couple "inspiration pics" to guide you and then you can start to hone in on specifics like granite color, backsplashes, etc.

When I start a project, I start collecting pictures of spaces I really love, and then find ways to emulate those spaces in my own home. You'll start to see patterns in the things you're attracted to and its much easier to envision how you can modify your space to fit. I hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swen's Pinterest

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

A light granite.

Here is a link that might be useful: espresso cabinets with light granite

• funkelsgw
    9 years ago

Bring the new color cabinet door to multiple granite distributors. Look at 100's of slabs until you "fall in love" with the right granite. My DW and I looked for months and went in several directions including black, honed black, River Bordeaux etc. Then she met Costa Esmeralda. She fell in love with it and that was it. There was no deliberation. We looked at so many slabs at all different places in Connecticut. It took forever to finally refine our tastes. We probably brought home 40+ samples to see in out lighting. It was insane. I would point you to our kitchen reveal, but our cabinet choice was antique white. Make sure you see the actual slab(s) you purchase and make sure they are labeled with your name on it and take pictures. We almost lost ours, because the guy forgot to mark the granite. Take your time.

• barista9
    9 years ago

Funny, I was going to suggest Kashmir White (not that I am biased or anything :)).