Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Reveal

Posted by holly-kay (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 20:07

I hope this works. I really don't understand the instructions so bear with me. If I mess this up I will do my reveal a pic at a time.

When I started this project I had no idea that it would take so long or that it would turn into a much more extensive project. Give a moose a muffin.........

Most of what I did right is thanks to GW. I will be eternally grateful for all the wonderful advice, enthusiastic encouragement, and most of all the friendship of my fellow GW members. The things that I goofed on is 100% my fault.

The main components of my kitchen:
Cabinets: Wayneco custom. Maple with wheaten stain, chocolate glaze.
Pulls: Schaub Casual Elegance in Michaelangelo Bronze.
Counter: Frank's Granite Typhoon Bordeaux.
Engineered Hardwood: Mannington Chestnut Sapele.
Double oven: JennAir double convection with culinary center.
Fridge: JennAir French door, counter depth.
Induction cooktop: Jenn Air 30"
Sink: Kohler Whitehaven 36".
Faucet: Waterstone PLP 5600 in American Bronze with matching soap dispenser.
Sink and island pendant: Schonbek Bagatelle in Heritage Bronze.
Dishwasher: JennAir freebie.
Backsplash: Dorado tumbled marble, 4X4.

Cook top wall

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Reveal

Sink area.

o

Beautiful! What a great place to spend your time. The backsplash looks perfect and love your colors! Worth all the agonizing. Great job!

o

Cabinet and pull close up.

o

Double oven and fridge wall

o

Very pretty! You must be so pleased! I especially love your light fixtures!

o

I think your pulls look so pretty with the detail on your cabinet. Love that shot!

o

Storage over oven.

o

Fridge and storage

o

dishwasher and honking big appliance pull

o

Great job...very pretty...and beautiful view out that window!

o

kitchen towels and mixing bowls etc

o

another pic of my towel drawer

o

Microwave in appliance garage

o

It's all wonderful. You're effort shows with every detail. I love your cabinets and pulls, your well lovely Typhoon Bordeaux and new back splash. Your design is great, down to the glass lights.

Enjoy!

o

A closer look at the microwave.

o

I love this cab that holds a lot of my everyday china.

o

My very small island.

o

What a beautiful kitchen! I love your taste. I just ordered my whitehaven sink. Yours looks lovely.

o

another cooktop pic

o

oven wall.

o

dishwasher pull as towel rack.

o

My "dated" peninsula cabinets. I love them!

o

Table side of the kitchen.

o

Last but not least, KoKo

o

and Murphy!

o

Old-world elegance, simply lovely! Everything fits together "just so". Well done!

o

Beautiful! All your finishes play so nicely with each other. Your granite is gorgeous. Love the detail on your cabinets and the color of your pulls. And last but not least, your pendant lights add a nice amount of elegance to the space.
Congratulations on a job well done. Now relax and enjoy.

o

What a warm inviting space. You've done good girl! Love the hardware and all the clever storage. You will find the horizontal shelf over the oven really convenient for baking dishes etc. The waterstone is gorgeous and really fits the look of your kitchen. Well done!

o

Thanks Snookums, Joanie, and Uther.

o

Really lovely. Your finishes and colors are all so perfect together. Your attention and hard work show in everything. Love it!

o

Thank you everyone. I couldn't have done it without all of you!

o

Your kitchen is just beautiful! I love your cabinets with that particular gaze. They are so warm looking and your granite and backsplash are just perfect!

o

Gee, I go away for dinner and all this comes along! Very nice. Those pulls are perfect for your cabinets. It all looks so nice! And full of wonderful details.

o

One of the things I love about GW is that I've learned to appreciate and applaud kitchens I might have overlooked before. Yours is an example. Because it's not my own style, I think before I wouldn't have "gotten" it. But now, I look at your photos and think: wow, how beautifully put together this kitchen is, how functional and well-thought-out. Those layers of warm woods and taupe-y granite and marble look gorgeous together! Bravo, holly-kay! (And thanks, GW, for my broadened tastes and interests.)

o

Holly - it all looks soooo fabulous. You must be so pleased at the way everything turned out. It looks like I will not only copy your WS faucet, but your granite counter as well. I looked at the bordeaux last week and checked that off my list. haha - great minds!!!

The BS looks lovely, not too busy at all.

btw - how big is your island?

o

It came out great!!!

o

That is just a beautiful kitchen! It looks so warm and inviting, and so functional and timeless too. I just love how the handles on the cabinets and the glaze on the door beading play so perfectly together. Your granite is gorgeous without overwhelming every other beautiful element, and those big windows bring in the great view. What a success you made of it all, congratulations.

Speaking of hardware, do you happen to know if those are "Strato" hinges on the appliance garage door? Thanks especially if you know the source for those?

o

Ditto justmakeit. I can see why so many choose Typhoon Bordeax granite, it is lovely. Everything looks like they were made to go together!

o

Beautiful, just beautiful! I love how well the pulls go with the cabinets, and the gorgeous granite, the fabulous faucet - wonderful! Oh, I have the same cute little microwave!

What's in the angled base cab?

o

Your kitchen is gorgeous! I love your color scheme. Your backsplash adds understated elegance with that beautiful granite. Your pulls sure do compliment your cabinets. I am bookmarking your kitchen so I can return to it in planning my reno. Thanks for posting your reveal! Enjoy it for a long time!

o

Congratulations on reaching the finish! You wood stain looks so beautiful with the cabinet door detail.

o

Wow, this is awesome! Thanks for the great reveal and so quickly after finishing, too! The details are really impressive and I like those handles more every time I see them. It is a really good thing that my faucets are already installed, I'm not sure I could resist exploring the Waterstone after seeing how yours just makes that whole wall. Your pendants are gorgeous and I haven't seen any similar, what are they?

o

Beautiful job . Ditto what others have said :) I am glad to see more people doing the smaller island. I did one in my older kitchen in 2005 and it was small too. A lot tried to talk me out of it but I just adored it for all my baking stuff it held and loved the extra counter space it gave too. Where did you get your canisters by your sink I have been looking for some like those?

o

Lovely kitchen! Everything looks so warm and inviting! A really nice space to enjoy for many years and many happy meals!

o

Holy dishwasher pull, Batman! You're right, it's huge, but it looks great! And I KNEW the backsplash would look awesome! I love the counters, the pulls, the cabinets, the dogs - everything! You must be so happy right now; enjoy it!

o

Love your cabinets and pulls!
Koko and Murphy really play up the wood floor, lol :-)

o

Holly
I am on the road but just have to say- awesome. I can't wait to see on my computer vs iPhone.
Love your cabinet color and backsplash!
Of course- love your faucet!!
And your small island is so cute and functional! (I didn't have room for one - so I am jealous :-)
Back in touch when I am grounded.
(Bicycle trip vs work)

o

Uther, you will love your Whitehaven. It is a wonderful sink!

Thank you sis, cat, and williamsem, I am enjoying it.

I agree just. I know that GW has helped me to appreciate different styles. I love the variety of tastes represented here.

Mgo you will love the WS and the TB. I am so glad I went with both. I can't wait to see you start your project.

Smiling, thank you. I will check the hinges tomorrow and see if there is a name on them. It is a very smooth mechanism.

Ann the base by my garbage pull ou has casserole dishes, and other cooking items and the one by the dw has crockpots and food processor and odds and ends.

Tea what a compliment to have you bookmark my kitchen! I will be anxious to see it start.

Thanks booster. I really like the stain also.

o

Wow! Everything looks great together!!! You must be so happy to have such a wonderful space now!!!

I love your backsplash with your counters.

Enjoy your beautiful kitchen :)

o

Thank you kk. I do like the pulls and it was worth the search until I found the right thing. The pendants are Schonbek and I love them but going with a smaller one over the sink was a mistake. I am going to see if the electrician can hang it almost flush and use it in my hall and get the bigger one to replace it so they are both the same size. I liked them because they added sparkle but were still simple.

Sarina, the small island holds my baking supplies too. I will have to add to the post. The one side is a mixer base and other side has three drawers. The top one holds parchment paper, foil, Saran Wrap, the middle drawer holds baking supplies. Flour, sugar, baking spices, cupcake papers etc. the bottom drawer is empty still. I purchased the canisters through amazon. I love shopping there.

Thank you for the well wishes Heidi!

KB that honking appliance pull was a mistake. I thought the tight seal on a dw needed an appliance pull. I would have been fine using a six inch pull but making lemonade by using it as a towel bar.

Ty Boone. They are my constant companions and go to work with me every day.

A2, safe travels to you. The support you gave me was wonderful. I wanted an island and was told many years ago that I didn't have room for one but right after that I added a table in the work side of the kitchen and I loved having it there. My island is tiny and most k.d.s would nix the idea but I am so glad I added it. I forgot to include my drawers under the cook top and my mini baking station island so I will add pics this weekend.

o

Congrats! Looks beautiful.

o

Looks wonderful Holly! I am sure the functionality has improved the kitchen by so much.

Your sink area and the beautiful view you have out that window, is fabulous! Wish I had a gorgeous wooded lot to see when I washed dishes :)

o

I love that you have your peninsula uppers! They maintain a certain intimacy about your kitchen... which I have to say is only enhanced by that view. Nice. :-)

o

Your whole kitchen is beautiful. I love the cabinet detail. The bead on the doors & the pulls look like they were made for each other. The backsplash is pulling out the the creamy color in your counters, so pretty. You must be thrilled.

o

Subtle and elegant and warm. Love the way the lights play off the cabinets. Just beautiful...
Pretty much the perfect pulls, too. Good call.

I, too, wish I had room for an island.

What's that dog wearing and the pooches do match your kitchen, too.

o

Lovely... very, very nice.

o

Holly Kay- congratulations on a fabulous new kitchen!

I love the Schonbek chandelier, also love the warmth of your finishes with the lovely beading and your fab pulls! Your attention to detail is evident through out.

I've followed your threads when I've had a chance and have understood your daily decisions with all of their trials and tribulations. Especially since I've had more than my far share of each.

I'm so happy for you and hope you have lots of happy meals in your beautiful new kitchen!

o

Very nice, so warm and inviting. Your pull selection is perfect.
MJ

o

Beautiful! Really like the glaze and the details on the cabinets. Enjoy.

o

Looks beautiful. Enjoy!

o

Lovely! Congratulations on a job well done

o

Opps! I forgot to say how much I love you Schonbek pendants! They've always been one of my favorites! So perfect in your pretty kitchen.

o

You did a fantastic job. I love all the warm tones. I was beginning to think everyone did white kitchens ;-)

The pendants are gorgeous. I only wish I had enough room for them in my kitchen.

Enjoy your new kitchen.

o

All your positive comments really brings a smile to my face. Thank you all.

Mgo, the island is 34 inches. It is a wonderful landing space from the double oven, fridge, and the cooktop. I never would have believed that my small kitchen could be so functional.

My favorite aspect of the kitchen is the improved function of it. The only thing I would change in regards to function is I would have changed the pull outs under the peninsula to regular drawers like the ones under my cooktop.

The changes I would make aesthetically is making both pendants the same size. Why did I think two different sizes would work? I hope to remedy that as soon as I change out my foyer and hallway lighting. The other item was going with that honking big appliance pull rather than a six inch pull. It does make a great place to hang my dish towel though so it isn't a total mistake.

Thanks again to all of you who have encouraged and empathized with me along the way!!!!

o

Oh, I forgot to mention, that I love the floor. I'm glad that you stuck with it. It looks great with everything else!

o

Your kitchen is so well thought out, with unique touches. Congratulations!

o

Holly, it looks like a warm and very inviting space :) Enjoy!!

o

Such an awesome kitchen!!! As a white kitchen owner, I confess to missing the warmth of wood cabinets and yours are just the right shade. I'm totally jealous of all the storage space you have. Your backsplash is a welcome change from subways and takes a nice supporting role. Good job!!!

o

It really shows that you carefully considered every aspect and every choice. Your kitchen is warm and inviting and I would guess that you have many wonderful hours of cooking and baking in your future.

o

What a gorgeous space! The finish on your cabinets is divine and I absolutely adore the hardware. Great job!!! So classy and elegant.

o

Lovely Kitchen! Beautiful choices that come together with an old world charm. Love the cabinet color, beading, pulls (hello appliance pull!) and am jealous of your lovely view from the sink!! KoKo and Murphy are adorable as well. Wishing you many yrs of love and laughter in the new space!

o

Congrats, Holly-Kay, on a lovely kitchen! It really is a great example of cohesiveness. Everything plays so nicely together, it just ends up looking seemless. As folks are repeatedly commenting, the connection between the stain and pulls is a great, great example of that.

I really like the paneled DW, too. I'm hemming and hawing on that one. It just looks so much more...finished.

And I like that you did the kitchen your way. You wanted those peninsula cabinets - you got them! Those pendants are great.

o

I have to echo what justmakeit said. I too would have glossed over this kitchen because it isn't my taste. But - it is beautiful. All the little details on the cabinets, the pulls and the lights all flow and fit together. And your accessories add another layer to the kitchen which pulls it all together. Looking at the couple of pics of the rest of your house it is apparent that this kitchen is you - and that's what counts. Beautiful kitchen, so nice and warm and inviting.

I have to agree with you about changing out the over-the-sink light. Matching the sizes will look better. I'm not actually in the kitchen so I can't feel whether or not the appliance pull is actually too big for the space or not but what I like about it is that it really shows the details of the pulls and how gorgeous they are. Don't fret about that.

o

I love reveals!! This is a great one! You did a fabulous job everything flows perfectly. Sounds like you love it and you should, congrats!

o

How pretty! I really love the cabinets, color and granite. Nice job!

o

Thanks everyone.

Rkb I am glad I stuck with it also. I love the fiery highlights on the floor in places and the grain is beautiful. Did you do your final reveal? If so I completely missed it.

Steph, I am glad I did the paneled dw. I was gong to re-use my old one because I rarely use a dw but the new one was free with the other appliances that I purchased.

Linelle, you know how much I love your beautiful kitchen! I am glad for all the storage also. I still have three empty drawers and some empty shelves. I really was tenacious about clearing out items that I don't use to avoid them making their way back into the tangle and I still have items that are not unpacked and worked away again.

Bl, not only did I make the mistake of buying two different sizes but the electrician compounded the off look by installing the sink pendant so much higher than the island pendant. I think the island pendant is a bit too low but the sink pendant is too high. I think it would have looked more cohesive to have them both the same distance off of the floor. I too, have grown to appreciate kitchens that aren't my particular style thanks to GW.

As soon as the window treatment is installed and I get the pendants adjusted I will post a few more pics!

o

holly-kay: I haven't posted it yet. We had windows replaced and I'm still waiting to get the painting completed, but it feels REALLY great to be in the space and using it!

Enjoy your new space!

o

I almost forgot how good that glaze looks. I am generally not a fan of glazes, probably because a lot of them don't look great close up. Yours around the beads? Spectacular!! It looks like its inherent in the wood, or someone highlighted those beads painstakingly by hand.

o

Holly-Kay : I just have to ask - are those lovely ivory canisters next to your MW the same ones sold on Amazon?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P9KOY2/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2NVEKMQTGKOW8

o

Thank you so much Annie!

RKB, I am anxious to see your reveal!

o

Boone, yes they are the exact ones.

o

Holly-Kay:

What a gold mine your kitchen is to the eye! Just beautiful. Say, I have my eye on the Jenn-Aire fridge, how do you like it? Why did you choose it, and where did you buy it? Would you mind posting how much you paid for it? I live in Dallas and the asking price is about $3K, and if you want to order stainless side panels to cover the grey sheet metal, it's $400 per side. Either way, thanks!

Also, if you are able to post pictures of the interior, I'd be grateful. The Jenn-Air website gives a very poor preview of the interior of that fridge. Is your fridge 69" or 72".

Why did you choose Jenn-Air and not the roughly equivalent KA model?

Thanks again and congratulations on designing such a gorgeous kitchen!

~Cupofkindness

o

Thank you so much cup of kindness. I do like my JennAir fridge very much. It is the 72 inch model. I was open to using any appliance but was swayed by a dear friend who has a 25 year old JennAir convection oven that is still going strong. Prior to my kitchen reno she replaced her old refrigerator with the model that I eventually got and she loved it. I am not sure how much I paid for it. I'm thinking it was around 3k. When I get home I will see if I can find the invoice for it. Because it is counter depth you probably don't need to do the side panels. There is just a tiny bit of the side that shows on mine and it certainly doesn't show enough to make a 400 per side expenditure worth it. The first time I pull it out to clean I will see if there is a way to get it in just a hair more.

I will be glad to take pics of the inside when I get home and to answer any questions you have. The appliance distributor (ADI) that I purchased from had both the KA and the JA on display and we thought the finish on the JA was more to our liking. I must say that the stainless doesn't get fingerprint marks that are visible irl but I can certainly see smudges in my posted pics. I guess because of the flash.

o

Just another voice to echo the chorus of "GORGEOUS!" here. :)

Well done. You should be so proud of that functional and pretty space.

Can I ask a favor? Will you post a picture of the sink/window wall in its entirety? I have a very similar set up planned with a farmhouse sink under a bank of three window and the dishwasher to the right that it would be great to see how yours looks IRL. Thanks!

o

Thank you, Holly. I found this review site online and it scared me. I know that Whirlpool bought Jenn-Air a few years ago, and we've been so happy with our Whirlpool and KitchenAid appliances, so I am looking to buy the Jenn-Air since my fifteen year old Whirlpool Gold white SxS is on the way out.

Unfortunately, my fridge is not boxed in, its at the end of a counter run, so the sides show. I would have to get a panel for the exposed side, because my maple cabinets just won't work with the gray sides. Three or four years ago, this fridge sold for $3K but was stainless all the way around. :( I wish I had bought one back then!

I love your new kitchen! What a blessing to work in such a lovely, organized place! Thanks in advance for posting the pics of the inside of your fridge.

Here's the review site and the long list of frightening complaints, that may in fact be false or simply one-of-a-kind experiences that most Jenn-Air customers never experience. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Biased Reviews of Jenn-Air Products?

o

Congratulations Holly-Kay. Your kitchen is just beautiful. I appreciate all of your posts letting us know what issues you had. It helps all us that are in the planning stages to know what to ask and what to look for.

Enjoy your new space.

o

Cup, I decided on the JA and only later saw the bad reviews. I really can't tell you that it will be problem free because I have only had it for about 2 months? It could be the best fridge I've ever had or it could be the worst. I do think though that people tend to be much more vociferous about bad experiences than good. I also know that even though my DF has had outstanding service from her JA appliances doesn't mean that I will experience the same. Two other DF steered me away from LG and Samsung so who knows?

o

Gosh, it looks like Old Mother Hubbard's fridge is bare except for the fresh eggs from our hens. If you need a pic of a specific area I will take more pics.

o

Cup, I guess if we look at the bad reviews of other products we would be worried about just about everything. One thing that I can say with certainty is the gentleman we usually purchase appliances from for our investment properties says that Frigidaire/Electrolux is the most repair free and I have read great reviews as well as bad for them. We used a bigger distributor this time because they are the company our KD recommended.

o
RE: your gorgeous kitchen

Holly-Kay,

I LOVE seeing this! Your cabinets and countertop are both so very beautiful on their own and are fabulous together. Your backsplash is quietly elegant and a most fit companion to the cabinets and counter tops. Your sink is - and I've never thought I would say this about a farm house sink because I've never before understood the attraction - fabulous and fun! Love the combination with your countertops. How many times a day do you walk by and caress it?! I've never before made a comment about an apron sink (because I've never understood the attraction/rationale), but yours, madam, I like!

Congratulations on your new kitchen! Best, oldbat2be

o

OB, thank you so much. I do love each element of my kitchen but I must admit that the sink area is my favorite.

Swfr, I am posting this pic for you here but I don't want to keep bumping my kitchen up as there are so many important posts and you have all seen my reveal. I will gladly post more pics for you if you start a post! I love to help fellow GW members.

o

It is gorgeous!!!!!!! I'm so happy for you! I know what a long, difficult ordeal this has been and now you can see that it's all been worth it. Congratulations and enjoy your new kitchen!!!

o

Thank you Build. I love it now that it is all pulled together.

o

Holly,

I had been on business trip for weeks and then buried by work. I am so happy to see your completed kitchen.

This is a beautiful space. Everything is well thought out and coordinated. The granite is stunning, backsplash is very pretty. Love your cabinets, storage area, floor and dogs.

You have a gorgeous window view. To be honest, I thought the way you placed pendant lights is by design, they are so attractive!

o

Beautiful kitchen! The decorative pieces on the counters pair beautifully with your granite and cupboards.

o

Thanks AZ and Repac. I am enjoying my new kitchen. Now just hoping I get re-energized so I can finish putting everything away.

o

Thanks so much, Holly! Great pictures. It's a beautiful fridge. I did see a little picture on the website that showed the water dispenser, which allows you to depress the button with a cup to activate the flow. This is a huge improvement over the Kitchen Aid FD counter depth that I saw at Sears, which required that you push a button over the dispenser to start the flow. How inconvenient is that???

I love the clean uncluttered look of your fridge. Thanks again!

I"m so glad to hear that you love it. Thanks again!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Holly's Beautiful Jenn-Air FD Refrigderator

o

So, when are we all invited for coffee? That is just beautiful. Congratulations.

o

Holly - I am back from our bicycle trip (wet, cold but successful) and now see your pictures on the computer.
It is so warm and inviting and I can visualize many cups of coffee and tea in this beautiful space.
Congratulations on a job well done
A2Gemini

o

OMG, so so beautiful!! And if I remember correctly you had the issues with the granite, right? Your granite is breathtaking!! Love the color of your cabinets, and that hardware is to die for. Really nice job, worth the headaches, right???.....

o

beautiful! great job!

o

So inviting, warm and PRETTY. Your farmhouse sink is so perfect in the space. I don't recall seeing many farmhouse sinks with stained, rather than painted cabinets--yours looks so nice, I'm sure others will be inspired to make a similar choice.

Enjoy!

o

Mother, A2, Derm, Mary and Shanghai, thank you all so much for your kind comments. I definitely think it was worth the headaches and stress.

Derm, I did indeed have trouble with the granite. They did a terrible match the first time but did it beautifully the second time around.

I would love to have you all for coffee.

o

Btw, welcome home A2!

o

Holly-kay, your kitchen is gorgeous. I especially love the cabinets. Your kitchen kitchen is warm, beautiful, and functional--just perfect! Congratulations!!!

o

Holly-Kay, you have a lovely kitchen and have been so very supportive of others on this forum. Kudos to what you have accomplished and what you contribute to others, every day! I think I saw that you name your homes; please remind me of this one's name. (One was Bunny Run, no? Loved the story behind that one. Years ago, while crossing a road near our home, my 4? year old DD spotted a rainbow. Ever since, that bridge has been known as Rainbow Bridge).

o

I would give anything to have windows like that over my sink !!! I love the warm tones. It is a very inviting and functional space.

o

I love your kitchen so much! I love the cabinet style and the cabinet color. I love the granite gorgeous counters! I love your appliances especially the Jenn-Air Refrigerator which is the one I want also. I love your floors. I love the organization that you have. I also love your adorable little white doggie.

o

Wow, u pulled *everything* together. I love the handles and cab combo! A standout! Every last detail. How long did u work on product selection? Just wow!

o

Holly-Kay, I was just drooling over your kitchen ( again) when I noticed that your sink faucet's handle is in front, not to the side. How does that work for you? My faucet will be installed next week and I can't decide if the handle should be positioned in front. Is it comfortable for turning the water off and on?
Thanks! :-)

o

Love your kitchen. Only question left to ask is where did you get your canisters?

o

Wow that turned out beautiful! Your Waterstone is gorgeous, but then what wouldn't be with those windows and that view as a backdrop? Those pulls are perfect with your cabinets. I hope my choices turn out as great.

o

Love your kitchen, hollykay. Everything coordinates beautifully!

o
RE: My Reveal- other brands have more complaints

Only 111 Complaints against Jenn-Air versus 981 complaints against LG. It seems that all refrigerators now a days do not last and it is a disgrace. I now go by how many complaints there are on the consumer affairs. I know my LG refrigerator had almost two fires in my home and has gotten me so behind in a deadline I am working on. I still love the look of Jenn-Air and they seem to have less complaints than other brands. I am beginning to think we all need 10 year extended warranties on our refrigerators which is such a shame.

I love your kitchen especially the granite, cabinet color, floors, adorable doggie, appliances, the layout, all the organization and I think you do a great job making a warm and function beautiful kitchen.

This is my 2nd post about your kitchen as I had to post again to remind people how many complaints are on the consumer complaints on all brands of refrigerators lately and it is so sad that appliances are not made to last. I am still considering a Jenn-Air Refrigerator or a Kitchen-Aid one (both are made by Whirlpool and both have the same design I am considering but first I have to change out my LG refrigerator as the model I am considering at 72" tall will not fit with my current set-up). I have to scroll upwards since I think you have the model that I want. OK, it does look like the beautiful counter depth model that I want with water inside and not on the door.

o

Hollykay - There are just so many things to love about your kitchen. Your attention to detail is amazing. I especially like the counter/BS combination it is just perfect and perfect with your cabinets. I am one of the few who really dislike most BS because I believe that aspect of a kitchen is the first thing to date a kitchen. However yours is so elegant and quietly plays its role perfectly.
I too had a smallish kitchen for a little island - just like your size. So freakishly handy! A real step saver for the fridge.
Love the faucet. It's on my short list. Trying to convince my DH.
Cute doggies too. Great how they match so well to their surroundings.
Hope you enjoy all for many years!

o

Thank you all so much for your kind comments. GW has been such a wonderful support through this process.

I will try to answer all the new questions. If I miss something please email me and I will answer you.

OB, this is the home I named Bunny Run. I love that your DD named a bridge!

Product selection was varied. I knew that I wanted maple with subtle beading. I knew the stain and glaze that I wanted so that was an easy choice. I knew the faucet as soon as I saw it but it took almost a week to decide on the finish as they were all so lovely. The hardwood was chosen last year but I changed from Henna to Chestnut because the Chestnut worked with my cabinets. The granite that I first fell for was Netuno Bordeaux but it was sold. I changed to Autumn Harmony but had second thoughts when I saw the beautiful Typhoon Bordeaux that another GW member had installed. I went to the stone yard the next day and found a slab of TB that I loved. The cab hardware took the longest. I looked for almost five weeks to find the perfect hardware.

Lynn, I really like my JA. We chose that over the KA because the ss on the KA was shinier and we thought it would show fingerprints easily. The knurling on our handles really helps to not show smudges and fingerprints. All appliances have their share of customer complaints. I have a DF who had to replace a fairly new LG and another DF who has a 5 yr old Samsung that she heartily dislikes. All we can do as consumers is to research and then choose what we feel will be best but there are no guarantees that what we choose will be trouble free.

Boone, I really like having my faucet handle front mounted. There is no right or wrong way but I would do it this way again. I will be anxious to see what you decide on.

Lgiorgi, I ordered the canisters from Amazon and linked them here for you.

Terri, your kitchen is going to be fabulous. I can't wait to see pics of your beautiful Rachiele sink.

PPbenn, Jelly Toast, Annalyn, Nightowl,, Mags, thank you all again for taking the time to look and post such nice comments.

BTW, DH says that I about drove him insane during the process. I am so grateful for his support even though I am sure that I worked on his last nerve at times.

Here is a link that might be useful: my canisters

o

My second post but I have to say the more that I look at your pictures (about 9 times now, lol) the more it strikes me that you have IMO, achieved a truly timeless kitchen. It is really a lovely, lovely space.

o

Oh my goodness Deedles, thank you so very much!

o
Holly-Kay, thank you again! RE: My Reveal

Holly-Kay, I just added the canisters to my cart on Amazon as I love them also.

Thanks for your input about the Jenn-Air since I will be changing out my cabinets when my floors are changed out in the next two months as the most and then I will be replacing my LG French Door Refrigerator with the water on the door that is not counterdepth with the Jenn-Air French Door One. I do not feel comfortable with the LG in my home anymore after the three repairs on it this past month despite it being only 6.75 years of age.

I love your kitchen.

o

Thank you so much Lynn. You will love your JA. I really like the clean look without water and ice on the door.

The canisters are so handy and store a huge amount. I am pleased with them.

Please keep me posted with your re-do. I am anxious to follow your progress.

o

Holly, it's really beautiful. The detail, the little line on the cabinet face, I dont know what it's called, matches the jewelry, oh, I mean hardware. That's pretty hardware, girl. A lovely, lovely, high functioning space.

I fourth or fifth what justmakeit said. I love kitchens, simply as a result of slowly, creeping tko. Yours has a traditional feel and a bit of modern, too.

My daughter's name is Holly, too. Enjoy your lovely space. Classy and warm.

o

Your kitchen is really pretty. It's very impressive how all of your items compliment each other so nicely. I can only aspire to the attention to detail like yours! My favorites...the lights, the counters, and the appliances.

o

Holly-Kay - I haven't been on much at all lately, so I'm just now seeing your reveal. What a lovely kitchen!!! I know it had more than a fair amount of stress for you, but looking at the end result, I have to say it was well worth it. You have to be so pleased...I'll bet it's a joy for you every time you walk in now. :) Congratulations on a job nicely done.

o

I don't know how I missed this earlier! It's lovely and warm, and it all works together so well. I particularly like how your color scheme goes with Koko and Murphy. Congratulations! You must love to be in this beautiful room.

o

Holly, I haven't been on this site in ages and was so pleased to see your reveal. Your kitchen turned out just gorgeous! Definitely one of the favorites I've seen on this site. Such a warm, gorgeous space. I can't think of a single thing I don't love about it. And, of course, your Waterstone looks just perfect!

Congratulations! Aren't you thrilled to be done!

o

Thank you Ginny and Poohpup. I am very pleased with how it turned out. I am amazed at how much more functional it is compared to my old one. The stress is over and the enjoyment phase is in full swing.

BTW, it's great to see you post again PP.

o

How did I miss this before? What a beautiful, warm kitchen! All the components come together beautifully and how nice to see a wood kitchen with well designed peninsula cabinets. Good for you for bucking the trend, it really works here.

Can I ask some details about your hood. It looks like you have a 8 foot high ceiling. How high is it off the cooktop , how deep is it, and how does it feel to you or others that cook in your kitchen (if you wouldn't mind giving heights). I really like the look of that hood (which one is it? ) but it may be too deep for my kitchen if I keep the 10" soffits.
thank you!

o

Glad to see that cabinet/pull close-up again, the colors and styles are perfection. And I forgot about the tray behind the cooktop! I may have to copy that idea.

o

I've gone over your pictures so many times, I cannot believe I never posted, to say what an inspirational kitchen! Every element was so well thought out. I truly enjoyed your progress, except fot the granite problem, and learned so much. thank you

o

Congratulations on your timeless and very elegant kitchen! The glaze and beading on your cabinetry is so warm and pretty. All of your decisions worked out so beautifully, you should be proud.

o

Beautiful ! the cabinets, sink, island(I like small islands)counters etc etc and love your artwork. It is a warm inviting kitchen. Oh I just looked again, the lights are very nice too.
Too many things to love in your kitchen...

o

I love your kitchen--just gorgeous! The cabinets are so exceptionally beautiful. I love how the kitchen has a simple traditional and classic feel without being gaudy and overly ornate. The wood color matches the trim around the windows so well--was that the original window trim?

o

I remember seeing your kitchen when I first was getting on GW, before we broke ground on our new build.
I appreciate now so much more what went into all your decisions and the process.
I too love your cabinet doors with that beading and the glaze, and your hardware choice complements your kitchen so well.

I'm wondering if you're still loving your JA refrigerator? My appliances are due within the month, and I'm getting the white glass door version of your refrig. Do you use the water in the refrig? Does the icemaker drawer pullout easily or is it a Pain?
Choosing a refrig is so hard because there are so many bad reviews out there about all of them.

o

Good to see your kitchen again. I bet you are loving looking out your window without the snow! I think of you whenever I drive out through PA.

o

I can't believe I missed this the first time around. Your kitchen is lovely, elegant and looks like it would be great to cook in too. Anything you would change now that you've lived in it a few months?

o

Marji, I love my JennAir. It is so perfect. We do use the water in the door and DH grumbles about it from time to time but even he admits I made a good choice. The ice in the drawer is actually a great arrangement and so easy to use. Because the refrigerator is counter depth things don't get pushed to the rear to become science projects gone wild! I love the glass version and highly considered using it in black. I was so heartily sick of ss that I really wanted something different. We get very bright sun for a few hours in the morning and I thought the dust would freak me out so despite my apprehension we went with the SS. It is really a breeze to care for unlike the ss on the fridge in our other home. I was very concerned about picking appliances because of the terrible reviews on all brands but I am extremely pleased with the whole package of JennAir appliances that I purchased and don't regret any of them.

A2 I think of you often. I love your kitchen and saw a glimpse of it again in another post. You were such a wonderful support through my reno! Thanks again. How is the biking going? I admire your stamina, I am in awe of the amount of miles you log.

o

Edeevee, I love my kitchen. I am so happy with how much more functional it is compared to my old kitchen. I am totally pleased from an aesthetics standpoint as well. My biggest regret is using the cabinet company that I used. They are a local company with an outstanding reputation and they did our library cabinetry for us and we were totally pleased with that.

Our kitchen was completed in June of 2013 and in January of 2014 our cabinet doors started to crack. In all about 70% of the doors and end panels had split. We had them come to our home and they assured us that there is a 100% lifetime warranty on the cabinets and they would replace them. It took them from the end of January until last week to correct the issue. Even though I have my beautiful cabinets back living with cabinet doors that were split from stem to stern for four months is totally unacceptable. I am happy to have new doors but I will be on pins and needles for a few years until I feel they are out of the danger zone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here