Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_kurtz

My Reveal

Holly- Kay
10 years ago

I hope this works. I really don't understand the instructions so bear with me. If I mess this up I will do my reveal a pic at a time.

When I started this project I had no idea that it would take so long or that it would turn into a much more extensive project. Give a moose a muffin.........

Most of what I did right is thanks to GW. I will be eternally grateful for all the wonderful advice, enthusiastic encouragement, and most of all the friendship of my fellow GW members. The things that I goofed on is 100% my fault.

The main components of my kitchen:
Cabinets: Wayneco custom. Maple with wheaten stain, chocolate glaze.
Pulls: Schaub Casual Elegance in Michaelangelo Bronze.
Counter: Frank's Granite Typhoon Bordeaux.
Engineered Hardwood: Mannington Chestnut Sapele.
Double oven: JennAir double convection with culinary center.
Fridge: JennAir French door, counter depth.
Induction cooktop: Jenn Air 30"
Sink: Kohler Whitehaven 36".
Faucet: Waterstone PLP 5600 in American Bronze with matching soap dispenser.
Sink and island pendant: Schonbek Bagatelle in Heritage Bronze.
Dishwasher: JennAir freebie.
Backsplash: Dorado tumbled marble, 4X4.

Cook top wall

Comments (137)

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gosh, it looks like Old Mother Hubbard's fridge is bare except for the fresh eggs from our hens. If you need a pic of a specific area I will take more pics.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cup, I guess if we look at the bad reviews of other products we would be worried about just about everything. One thing that I can say with certainty is the gentleman we usually purchase appliances from for our investment properties says that Frigidaire/Electrolux is the most repair free and I have read great reviews as well as bad for them. We used a bigger distributor this time because they are the company our KD recommended.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Holly-Kay,

I LOVE seeing this! Your cabinets and countertop are both so very beautiful on their own and are fabulous together. Your backsplash is quietly elegant and a most fit companion to the cabinets and counter tops. Your sink is - and I've never thought I would say this about a farm house sink because I've never before understood the attraction - fabulous and fun! Love the combination with your countertops. How many times a day do you walk by and caress it?! I've never before made a comment about an apron sink (because I've never understood the attraction/rationale), but yours, madam, I like!

Congratulations on your new kitchen! Best, oldbat2be

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OB, thank you so much. I do love each element of my kitchen but I must admit that the sink area is my favorite.

Swfr, I am posting this pic for you here but I don't want to keep bumping my kitchen up as there are so many important posts and you have all seen my reveal. I will gladly post more pics for you if you start a post! I love to help fellow GW members.

• buildinva
    10 years ago

It is gorgeous!!!!!!! I'm so happy for you! I know what a long, difficult ordeal this has been and now you can see that it's all been worth it. Congratulations and enjoy your new kitchen!!!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Build. I love it now that it is all pulled together.

• azmom
    10 years ago

Holly,

I had been on business trip for weeks and then buried by work. I am so happy to see your completed kitchen.

This is a beautiful space. Everything is well thought out and coordinated. The granite is stunning, backsplash is very pretty. Love your cabinets, storage area, floor and dogs.

You have a gorgeous window view. To be honest, I thought the way you placed pendant lights is by design, they are so attractive!

• repac
    10 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! The decorative pieces on the counters pair beautifully with your granite and cupboards.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks AZ and Repac. I am enjoying my new kitchen. Now just hoping I get re-energized so I can finish putting everything away.

• cupofkindness
    10 years ago

Thanks so much, Holly! Great pictures. It's a beautiful fridge. I did see a little picture on the website that showed the water dispenser, which allows you to depress the button with a cup to activate the flow. This is a huge improvement over the Kitchen Aid FD counter depth that I saw at Sears, which required that you push a button over the dispenser to start the flow. How inconvenient is that???

I love the clean uncluttered look of your fridge. Thanks again!

I"m so glad to hear that you love it. Thanks again!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Holly's Beautiful Jenn-Air FD Refrigderator

• motherof3sons
    10 years ago

So, when are we all invited for coffee? That is just beautiful. Congratulations.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Holly - I am back from our bicycle trip (wet, cold but successful) and now see your pictures on the computer.
    It is so warm and inviting and I can visualize many cups of coffee and tea in this beautiful space.
    Congratulations on a job well done
    A2Gemini

• dermnp
    10 years ago

OMG, so so beautiful!! And if I remember correctly you had the issues with the granite, right? Your granite is breathtaking!! Love the color of your cabinets, and that hardware is to die for. Really nice job, worth the headaches, right???.....

• Mary22wood
    10 years ago

beautiful! great job!

• shanghaimom
    10 years ago

So inviting, warm and PRETTY. Your farmhouse sink is so perfect in the space. I don't recall seeing many farmhouse sinks with stained, rather than painted cabinets--yours looks so nice, I'm sure others will be inspired to make a similar choice.

Enjoy!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mother, A2, Derm, Mary and Shanghai, thank you all so much for your kind comments. I definitely think it was worth the headaches and stress.

Derm, I did indeed have trouble with the granite. They did a terrible match the first time but did it beautifully the second time around.

I would love to have you all for coffee.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Btw, welcome home A2!

• sunsoleil
    10 years ago

Holly-kay, your kitchen is gorgeous. I especially love the cabinets. Your kitchen kitchen is warm, beautiful, and functional--just perfect! Congratulations!!!

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Holly-Kay, you have a lovely kitchen and have been so very supportive of others on this forum. Kudos to what you have accomplished and what you contribute to others, every day! I think I saw that you name your homes; please remind me of this one's name. (One was Bunny Run, no? Loved the story behind that one. Years ago, while crossing a road near our home, my 4? year old DD spotted a rainbow. Ever since, that bridge has been known as Rainbow Bridge).

• nightowlrn
    10 years ago

I would give anything to have windows like that over my sink !!! I love the warm tones. It is a very inviting and functional space.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I love your kitchen so much! I love the cabinet style and the cabinet color. I love the granite gorgeous counters! I love your appliances especially the Jenn-Air Refrigerator which is the one I want also. I love your floors. I love the organization that you have. I also love your adorable little white doggie.

• Mags438
    10 years ago

Wow, u pulled *everything* together. I love the handles and cab combo! A standout! Every last detail. How long did u work on product selection? Just wow!

• boone_2009
    10 years ago

Holly-Kay, I was just drooling over your kitchen ( again) when I noticed that your sink faucet's handle is in front, not to the side. How does that work for you? My faucet will be installed next week and I can't decide if the handle should be positioned in front. Is it comfortable for turning the water off and on?
    Thanks! :-)

• Linda Giorgi
    10 years ago

Love your kitchen. Only question left to ask is where did you get your canisters?

• Terri
    10 years ago

Wow that turned out beautiful! Your Waterstone is gorgeous, but then what wouldn't be with those windows and that view as a backdrop? Those pulls are perfect with your cabinets. I hope my choices turn out as great.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Love your kitchen, hollykay. Everything coordinates beautifully!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Only 111 Complaints against Jenn-Air versus 981 complaints against LG. It seems that all refrigerators now a days do not last and it is a disgrace. I now go by how many complaints there are on the consumer affairs. I know my LG refrigerator had almost two fires in my home and has gotten me so behind in a deadline I am working on. I still love the look of Jenn-Air and they seem to have less complaints than other brands. I am beginning to think we all need 10 year extended warranties on our refrigerators which is such a shame.

I love your kitchen especially the granite, cabinet color, floors, adorable doggie, appliances, the layout, all the organization and I think you do a great job making a warm and function beautiful kitchen.

This is my 2nd post about your kitchen as I had to post again to remind people how many complaints are on the consumer complaints on all brands of refrigerators lately and it is so sad that appliances are not made to last. I am still considering a Jenn-Air Refrigerator or a Kitchen-Aid one (both are made by Whirlpool and both have the same design I am considering but first I have to change out my LG refrigerator as the model I am considering at 72" tall will not fit with my current set-up). I have to scroll upwards since I think you have the model that I want. OK, it does look like the beautiful counter depth model that I want with water inside and not on the door.

• ppbenn
    10 years ago

Hollykay - There are just so many things to love about your kitchen. Your attention to detail is amazing. I especially like the counter/BS combination it is just perfect and perfect with your cabinets. I am one of the few who really dislike most BS because I believe that aspect of a kitchen is the first thing to date a kitchen. However yours is so elegant and quietly plays its role perfectly.
    I too had a smallish kitchen for a little island - just like your size. So freakishly handy! A real step saver for the fridge.
    Love the faucet. It's on my short list. Trying to convince my DH.
    Cute doggies too. Great how they match so well to their surroundings.
    Hope you enjoy all for many years!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much for your kind comments. GW has been such a wonderful support through this process.

I will try to answer all the new questions. If I miss something please email me and I will answer you.

OB, this is the home I named Bunny Run. I love that your DD named a bridge!

Product selection was varied. I knew that I wanted maple with subtle beading. I knew the stain and glaze that I wanted so that was an easy choice. I knew the faucet as soon as I saw it but it took almost a week to decide on the finish as they were all so lovely. The hardwood was chosen last year but I changed from Henna to Chestnut because the Chestnut worked with my cabinets. The granite that I first fell for was Netuno Bordeaux but it was sold. I changed to Autumn Harmony but had second thoughts when I saw the beautiful Typhoon Bordeaux that another GW member had installed. I went to the stone yard the next day and found a slab of TB that I loved. The cab hardware took the longest. I looked for almost five weeks to find the perfect hardware.

Lynn, I really like my JA. We chose that over the KA because the ss on the KA was shinier and we thought it would show fingerprints easily. The knurling on our handles really helps to not show smudges and fingerprints. All appliances have their share of customer complaints. I have a DF who had to replace a fairly new LG and another DF who has a 5 yr old Samsung that she heartily dislikes. All we can do as consumers is to research and then choose what we feel will be best but there are no guarantees that what we choose will be trouble free.

Boone, I really like having my faucet handle front mounted. There is no right or wrong way but I would do it this way again. I will be anxious to see what you decide on.

Lgiorgi, I ordered the canisters from Amazon and linked them here for you.

Terri, your kitchen is going to be fabulous. I can't wait to see pics of your beautiful Rachiele sink.

PPbenn, Jelly Toast, Annalyn, Nightowl,, Mags, thank you all again for taking the time to look and post such nice comments.

BTW, DH says that I about drove him insane during the process. I am so grateful for his support even though I am sure that I worked on his last nerve at times.

Here is a link that might be useful: my canisters

• deedles
    10 years ago

My second post but I have to say the more that I look at your pictures (about 9 times now, lol) the more it strikes me that you have IMO, achieved a truly timeless kitchen. It is really a lovely, lovely space.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh my goodness Deedles, thank you so very much!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Holly-Kay, I just added the canisters to my cart on Amazon as I love them also.

Thanks for your input about the Jenn-Air since I will be changing out my cabinets when my floors are changed out in the next two months as the most and then I will be replacing my LG French Door Refrigerator with the water on the door that is not counterdepth with the Jenn-Air French Door One. I do not feel comfortable with the LG in my home anymore after the three repairs on it this past month despite it being only 6.75 years of age.

I love your kitchen.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much Lynn. You will love your JA. I really like the clean look without water and ice on the door.

The canisters are so handy and store a huge amount. I am pleased with them.

Please keep me posted with your re-do. I am anxious to follow your progress.

• westsider40
    10 years ago

Holly, it's really beautiful. The detail, the little line on the cabinet face, I dont know what it's called, matches the jewelry, oh, I mean hardware. That's pretty hardware, girl. A lovely, lovely, high functioning space.

I fourth or fifth what justmakeit said. I love kitchens, simply as a result of slowly, creeping tko. Yours has a traditional feel and a bit of modern, too.

My daughter's name is Holly, too. Enjoy your lovely space. Classy and warm.

• Lisa
    10 years ago

Your kitchen is really pretty. It's very impressive how all of your items compliment each other so nicely. I can only aspire to the attention to detail like yours! My favorites...the lights, the counters, and the appliances.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Holly-Kay - I haven't been on much at all lately, so I'm just now seeing your reveal. What a lovely kitchen!!! I know it had more than a fair amount of stress for you, but looking at the end result, I have to say it was well worth it. You have to be so pleased...I'll bet it's a joy for you every time you walk in now. :) Congratulations on a job nicely done.

• ginny20
    10 years ago

I don't know how I missed this earlier! It's lovely and warm, and it all works together so well. I particularly like how your color scheme goes with Koko and Murphy. Congratulations! You must love to be in this beautiful room.

• poohpup
    10 years ago

Holly, I haven't been on this site in ages and was so pleased to see your reveal. Your kitchen turned out just gorgeous! Definitely one of the favorites I've seen on this site. Such a warm, gorgeous space. I can't think of a single thing I don't love about it. And, of course, your Waterstone looks just perfect!

Congratulations! Aren't you thrilled to be done!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Ginny and Poohpup. I am very pleased with how it turned out. I am amazed at how much more functional it is compared to my old one. The stress is over and the enjoyment phase is in full swing.

BTW, it's great to see you post again PP.

• scrappy25
    10 years ago

How did I miss this before? What a beautiful, warm kitchen! All the components come together beautifully and how nice to see a wood kitchen with well designed peninsula cabinets. Good for you for bucking the trend, it really works here.

Can I ask some details about your hood. It looks like you have a 8 foot high ceiling. How high is it off the cooktop , how deep is it, and how does it feel to you or others that cook in your kitchen (if you wouldn't mind giving heights). I really like the look of that hood (which one is it? ) but it may be too deep for my kitchen if I keep the 10" soffits.
    thank you!

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Glad to see that cabinet/pull close-up again, the colors and styles are perfection. And I forgot about the tray behind the cooktop! I may have to copy that idea.

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

I've gone over your pictures so many times, I cannot believe I never posted, to say what an inspirational kitchen! Every element was so well thought out. I truly enjoyed your progress, except fot the granite problem, and learned so much. thank you

• tamarahl
    10 years ago

Congratulations on your timeless and very elegant kitchen! The glaze and beading on your cabinetry is so warm and pretty. All of your decisions worked out so beautifully, you should be proud.

• EATREALFOOD
    10 years ago

Beautiful ! the cabinets, sink, island(I like small islands)counters etc etc and love your artwork. It is a warm inviting kitchen. Oh I just looked again, the lights are very nice too.
    Too many things to love in your kitchen...

• happy2learn
    10 years ago

I love your kitchen--just gorgeous! The cabinets are so exceptionally beautiful. I love how the kitchen has a simple traditional and classic feel without being gaudy and overly ornate. The wood color matches the trim around the windows so well--was that the original window trim?

• mlweaving_Marji
    9 years ago

I remember seeing your kitchen when I first was getting on GW, before we broke ground on our new build.
    I appreciate now so much more what went into all your decisions and the process.
    I too love your cabinet doors with that beading and the glaze, and your hardware choice complements your kitchen so well.

I'm wondering if you're still loving your JA refrigerator? My appliances are due within the month, and I'm getting the white glass door version of your refrig. Do you use the water in the refrig? Does the icemaker drawer pullout easily or is it a Pain?
    Choosing a refrig is so hard because there are so many bad reviews out there about all of them.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Good to see your kitchen again. I bet you are loving looking out your window without the snow! I think of you whenever I drive out through PA.

• edeevee
    9 years ago

I can't believe I missed this the first time around. Your kitchen is lovely, elegant and looks like it would be great to cook in too. Anything you would change now that you've lived in it a few months?

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Marji, I love my JennAir. It is so perfect. We do use the water in the door and DH grumbles about it from time to time but even he admits I made a good choice. The ice in the drawer is actually a great arrangement and so easy to use. Because the refrigerator is counter depth things don't get pushed to the rear to become science projects gone wild! I love the glass version and highly considered using it in black. I was so heartily sick of ss that I really wanted something different. We get very bright sun for a few hours in the morning and I thought the dust would freak me out so despite my apprehension we went with the SS. It is really a breeze to care for unlike the ss on the fridge in our other home. I was very concerned about picking appliances because of the terrible reviews on all brands but I am extremely pleased with the whole package of JennAir appliances that I purchased and don't regret any of them.

A2 I think of you often. I love your kitchen and saw a glimpse of it again in another post. You were such a wonderful support through my reno! Thanks again. How is the biking going? I admire your stamina, I am in awe of the amount of miles you log.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Edeevee, I love my kitchen. I am so happy with how much more functional it is compared to my old kitchen. I am totally pleased from an aesthetics standpoint as well. My biggest regret is using the cabinet company that I used. They are a local company with an outstanding reputation and they did our library cabinetry for us and we were totally pleased with that.

Our kitchen was completed in June of 2013 and in January of 2014 our cabinet doors started to crack. In all about 70% of the doors and end panels had split. We had them come to our home and they assured us that there is a 100% lifetime warranty on the cabinets and they would replace them. It took them from the end of January until last week to correct the issue. Even though I have my beautiful cabinets back living with cabinet doors that were split from stem to stern for four months is totally unacceptable. I am happy to have new doors but I will be on pins and needles for a few years until I feel they are out of the danger zone.