Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

Help please, I am struggling with oven cab size

ontariomom
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

We just met with a cabinet maker that uses Kitchen Craft line. We are using an Elux wave wall oven and a Gaggenau combi-steam oven. Both ovens are to be installed side by side. We had planned on a 30 inch frameless cabinet for the Elux Wave oven and a 27 inch frameless cabinet for the 27 older Gaggenau combi-steam (model number ED 231-610). We had allowed for a one inch filler in between the ovens.

The cabinet maker told us he would recommend a 33 inch cabinet for the 30 inch Elux oven and 30 cabinet for the 27 inch Gaggenau steam oven. Problem is we don't have the extra inches to spare.

I realize from reading older posts that we should be okay with a 30 inch Elux installed in a 30 inch frameless cabinet, but wondered about the 27 inch Gaggenau given it was designed for a European market so may not correspond with North American cabinet sizes. The manuals of these ovens do not specify what minimum size cabinets are needed.

Are there any owners of the Gaggenau Combi steam 27 inch that can weigh in on the width of cabinet needed. What about the Elux Wave oven?

Here is a rough idea of the oven wall elevation.

Thanks in advance!

Carol

Comments (5)

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

The install instructions for the Elux oven say minimum cabinet width is 30-1/8".

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

The 27" combi has been discontinued. So if you ever have to replace it you will have to choose a 24" or a 30" (same cavity size inside). If you replace it with the 24", you have a gap on each side.

So I would definitely put the combi in a 30" cabinet rather than 27".

My 27" combi was in a 27" cabinet. You will need to find the specs because your cabinetmaker needs to know the cutout size not just the cabinet size.

Too bad you can't stack these ovens somewhere.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi sjhockeyfan and thanks. Yes I read that 30 1/8 inch spec too. However, I also found an older GW thread whose posters maintained that it did not change the fact that it can go in a 30 inch oven cabinet. I can't remember why we were to not not worry about the extra 1/8 of an inch. I will have to reread to be sure.

Thanks red_lover for your help. Was your older 27 inch combi steam a Gaggenau too? Our combi steam was a heavily discounted older scratch and dent oven. I can't say we would be able to replace it when it dies. We would have to look at other steam oven brands and the smaller the better. Also, we are running out of inches and I just don't think we have the extra 3 inches to spare with the two big windows on that wall, but we will see what we can work out as you bring up an important point. We did try to find somewhere to stack the ovens, but the only spot we could find was too far out of the way. However, I love the glass cabinet as a centre focal point that we will have so, I am content with the ovens below that.

BTW, we do have the manual and there are some specs in there, but it does not say the minimum cabinet size. I will check for the cut-out size spec. We have measured the main part of the oven which appears to be just over 25 inches (likely the cut-out dimension DH reckons).

Carol

• dickross
    8 years ago

Regardless of the manufacturers specs I would recommend at least an inch on each side for air circulation and cooling. also make some provision for venting near the bottom of the oven and at the top. all electrtonics will last longer if you keep the temperature down. I would compromise almost anything else to keep the oven vented and cool.

I have a 30" Bosh benchmark double mounted in a 33" cabinet. the cabinet is 24" deep with an open back and it's pulled 33" away from the wall. The oven cavity is also vented straight up thru the top of the cabinet with two thermosast controlled fans. The fans rarely come on (thermostat is 110 deg). The highest temp i've ever measured was 112 deg. at the top of th oven. The vent fans are really overkill and not necessary for this oven. Bosch has a really good vent fan on this particular model.

The other ventalation provisions will likely keep this oven working a few years longer than a more "conventional" instaletion.

Dick

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

dickross,

Thanks for your detailed answer. The info may help others in a similar situation. Our cabinets have long been received. They are RTA cabinets that are stored on our construction site waiting for us to be ready to assemble and install them (our project is all DIY at this point, so the second half of our build is incredibly slow). At this point, I can't remember how we solved the oven cabinet issue. We will keep your ideas in mind, but it is a done deal with cabinet sizes at this point. There will be an airspace behind the units as the oven cabinet sits proud and is deeper than required by the ovens.

Carol