Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donaleen

Decorative cutouts in kitchen cabinets

Donaleen Kohn
11 years ago

I love decorative cutouts in kitchen cabinets. I think it was mostly something in the early part of the 20th century.

I found this link that has some examples of decorative cutouts in the cabinet below a farmhouse sink. These photos look like "interpretations" rather than historically accurate renditions.

Anyone have any other pix or sources of decorative cutouts like this?

decorative cutout kitchen sink cabinet

Comments (17)

• Gigi_4321
    11 years ago

This is one of my favorite kitchens.

• Gigi_4321
    11 years ago

This is one of my favorite kitchens.

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, that is cool, too. Not exactly what I had in mind. I am thinking simpler. I think I just want some cutouts in the sink cabinet. Something to set off the farm sink nicely.

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I meant to put this in... when I say decorative cutouts, this is what I imagine in the faux doors for the pullout below the sink. The squares are just the excel background squares, not part of the cutout.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

I remember someone posting their under sink cab with some old time cut outs. Maybe they'll post a pic or someone will remember who it was.

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, desertsteph. I am thinking something like this...

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Just a thought - if you have a garbage disposer under that gorgeous sink - the cut outs will make the GD louder....

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, thanks for the tip. I hadn't thought of that. The noise from my current one seems to mostly come from the drain.

I am thinking of NOT having a garbage disposal. I don't like having that mini septic system under my sink. I don't like cleaning it. It's under discussion at my house.

• User
    11 years ago

Love the photo posted by Gigi. PS - I don' t think a cab door cut-out would matter a hoot for noise based on the few seconds you may run a garbage disposal at a time.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

The newer disposer boots muffle the sound but I notice the noise when I open the doors. But no disposer, no problem :-)

• localeater
    11 years ago

Just saw this picture with great door cutouts and remembered your post. Don't know if you still need inspiration.

[Eclectic Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2104) by San Diego Kitchen And Bath Hamilton-Gray Design, Inc.

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for thinking of me. I think I have settled on mine but it is fun to see more.

• deedles
    11 years ago

[Traditional Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Seattle Architect David Vandervort Architects

donaleen you are a girl after my own heart! I was just pondering some cut-outs yesterday. I have a book Bungalow Kitchens and it shows tons of that kind of thing, esp the sink cabs... must have been for airflow. Also like the center panel replaced with that punched tin or steel...like radiator cover material.

Anyway, like the little circles cut out of the sink apron on the pic I posted and was wondering sbout doing something along those lines but on the vertical.

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Do you mean Bungalow Kitchens by Jane Powell? I adore that book. Cutouts were used a lot under sinks.

Here is something I played with in Excel, just using the rectangle and oval drawing tool.

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is my other favorite go to book for 1920's details. It is a reproduction of a Morgan book from the 1920's and shows tons of windows, trim, pictures of rooms, built ins, stairway parts... all the stuff Morgan sold back then for houses. I think it is indispensable and fun.

For example, we used it to design our window and to design our newell post. If you like the 20's, you should have this book. Great for vintage kitchen ideas.

Some of the text is pretty fun, too.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Yup, that's the one. I wonder if I could get that other book at the library? It does look like something I'd like to peruse...

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They have used copies on Amazon for a reasonable price though the new ones are very expensive right now.

I actually have two copies. I've had one of them for about 25 years. Someone borrowed my first one and I had such trouble getting it back that I got another one. I did eventually get the first one back. So if you really have trouble getting one, let me know.

It is over 400 pages of very valuable information.