Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
soft close doors with exposed hinges on inset doors

Posted by cookingbuff (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 19:54

Does anyone have or know of anyone that has inset cabinets, exposed hinges and soft close doors? I recently heard that with exposed hinges you cannot have soft close doors. I want exposed hinges and I want the soft close. Can I have both??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: soft close doors with exposed hinges on inset doors

Yes, you can have both. We're getting them in our inset cabs and I've seen them in sample kitchens.

Here is a link that might be useful: soft close for inset doors

o

One brand I handle has them. QCCI (Quality Custom Cabinetry Inc) embeds rare earth magnets in the top and bottom of the door with aligned magnets in the rails allowing them to use soft close pistons even without the pistons they would just woosh into place. Exposed hinges are mortised instead of the wrap hinges. All standard as are 1" frames but they are pricey.
Shot a quick pick of a base I had in garage.

Christian has a slightly different (bit complicated) rare earth magnet system and Craftmaid (with a "C") might as well. Likely a few others at that price point.

o

I wanted both but was told this was unavailable. So we opted for soft close doors but I think I might have prioritized the hinges in retrospect and been happier.

o

Thanks for your comments. I initially was told that I could get soft close with my exposed hinges then I was told I cannot. For the people that have exposed hinges, do the magnetic closure on your doors drive you crazy? I am so confused right now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here