Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sayde_gw

Compare: Crown Point, Candlelight, Signature, Cabico

sayde
15 years ago

It seems that several of us are looking or have made decisions among these cabinets.

Erica, Alice, MamaPapa -- are you there? paulines? anyone else, please join in.

Would really love to know what are the actual differences among these brands. Is it the painted finish? The construction? the final fit and finish? the wood? is the answer different for painted versus stained?

Crown Point sent me a couple of 5 inch samples -- they seem really nice -- very low luster. I will take them with me when I visit Candlelight soon.

In the meantime, would really love to hear from anyone who has seen Signature or any of the four up close.

Comments (20)

• afr66
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have seen Signature in a close friend's home and Candlelight in a display at a kitchen showroom (as well as sample doors that I took home). My friend's Signature cabs are off-white, painted, beaded inset cabinets and they look lovely. She is extremely satisfied with them (I think they are maple underneath the paint, but can't say for sure).

I was very close to purchasing Candlelight cabinets in a stained inset style but decided against it at the last minute to save money (that was really the only reason I didn't get them - I loved the look and finish). I pursued them initially because they were one of the few semi-custom lines that offered inset styles. I thought the cabinets were very well made and the finishes I saw in person (all stains) were very nice.

I spoke with CP and, of course, have seen many of their kitchens in magazines etc. They were just too much for me - couldn't see spending that much for cabinets alone (though they ARE gorgeous).

A few people recommended Cabico, but I never pursued it because there wasn't someone convenient who carried the line.

Hope this helps.

• erikanh
    15 years ago

sayde,

I mistakenly posted in your other thread with a spreadsheet showing my comparison between Cabico and CP.

Here is a link that might be useful: Your other thread

• sayde
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the information!

Mama, I am planning ivory perimeters with stained island and one floor-to-ceiling pantry cabinet also stained. But I want to take the leaded glass from my cupboards and have new frames built around them, and want to do something similar with 6 of the gumwood veneer panels to incorporate them into the pantry. This does not require "invention" but it is a departure from the usual. I'm not 100% sure I can get this done so might have to combine some local fully custom work with the factory cabinets.

I have asked the Signature and Candlelight reps whether this can be done and they're both looking into it. I spoke to Mark Wirta about it but don't really feel confident as the drawings he sent in response to my drawings showed different size glass cupboards and eliminated the pantry altogether. So I still have a question mark here.

I really resonate with what you said about the importance of the person. I have three different people here -- Mark, very experienced, but at a distance and I sense won't really get into the details of it with me til I sign. The Signature rep is very experienced and very busy. The Candlelight rep is a young woman with only two years experience but she really got what I want to do, had some good ideas, and I feel she would really like to have this project and would "be there" for me. And then there is the local woodworker/cabinetmaker who is really into furniture quality and at least in his initial estimate, the most expensive.

So I've narrowed from 9 to 4 and it may have to be some combination. Thanks so much for the inputs -- I really appreciate it!

• eandhl
    15 years ago

With doing two kit within 5 yrs I saw lots of cabs from many companies. I will not put the others down but I will praise Crown Point. If they are within your budget they are worth it. The construction and the finish is like none other. The company is wonderful to work with. Without doubt if they had been in our budget we would gone with Crown Point. Good luck.

• emfny
    15 years ago

Please forgive me if this is considered a hijacking of this
    thread. Can anyone add any comments, comparative or otherwise, about the price and qualityof Craft-Maid (with a 'c', not Kraft-maid)located in Reading, PA?

• sanborn5
    15 years ago

I looked at Crown Point and Cabico. Crown point is beautiful and well made. BUT, quite a bit more $$$$ then cabico. I had Cabico in my last house.(oak) I put cabico in our Mt Cabin(pine)And I have cabico in my new house.(cherry)beaded inset. They are a semi-custom and I have had custom in other homes for twice the $$$. I think these look just as nice. I am very happy with Cabico or I would not have put them in three homes. This new house I looked at others because I have built a more expensive home and thought maybe I should upgrade to a better cabinet. Just couldn't see a big difference in any of them to spend the extra money. This gave me extra cash to buy my wolf 36" range and Bosch d/w and the rest of my appliances.

• sayde
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Are there visible differences or construction differences, or both?

Are the finishes different? Do they all used a water based latex or acrylic on the painted finishes? I've heard some people say that they painted finishes look like nail polish on some cabs -- is it not possible for any manufacturer to do a matte finish?

On some cabinets the bead and the routing just looks more crisp. Is this what we're talking about?

Does anyone have any thoughts about Woodmode?

• erikanh
    15 years ago

I just wanted to insert a little correction: Cabico is fully custom, not semi-custom. I've been able to specify any size, any color, any stain, any configuration I want.

sayde, I perceive the biggest difference between Cabico and Crown Point to be the finishing. Crown Point's finishing process seems very elaborate and exacting. They go into great detail on their website if you're interested.

As far as sheen, with Cabico you can specify the % sheen you desire. I'm going with a matte finish, 10% sheen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crown Point's Finish

• rococogurl
    15 years ago

I looked at Candlelight and rejected. They are OK but I felt the Plain & Fancy surface and quality was superior for similar pricing.

I am very happy with P&F quality, doors, finish now 4 years later. They are painted, holding up really well and I do highly recommend them.

A friend has Crown Point, another good brand. I could have gone with them and been happy thought their price point was above the P&F.

• erikanh
    15 years ago

sayde, how goes your cabinet research? I was looking at my Crown Point quote and noticed the following upcharges:

Series: $6120
    Door: $3409
    Hardware: $2946
    Wood: $4582
    Finish: $10,702

I understand the upcharges for hardware and painted finish. But I'm going to have to find out why I'm getting an upcharge for series, door and wood. Any thoughts?

• sayde
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I had similar upcharges. Series means is it beaded inset, which is higher than regular for example. The web site has pictures of the different series choices. Door is the style. Within the Beaded inset series for example there is no upcharge for any of the styles except Providence, which has a more elaborate profile on the trim around the panel. This was my favorite, naturally, but if you go to Newport, which has a simpler profile, there is no upcharge. Wood is priced according to what you select. Finish might be referring to painted which is more than stained.

I am trying to simplify my cabinets to get my cost down. But every time I find something to ease the cost --like going from Provdence to Newport -- I find two more things I want. A susan. A pantry wall.

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Oh really? How strange because Cabico charges less for beaded inset than non-beaded. My quote is for Barnstead doors, a very simple Shaker style. I didn't choose a special wood, just maple, since my cabs will be painted. And yes, I understood the upcharge for paint.

I not getting anything special for the insides except for an oil pullout. No corners and no susans. I'll order my trash pullouts from Revashelf. I'm not sure where I'll get the inserts for cutlery and knives.

• sayde
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Erika, I hope you will check with Crown Point and confirm -- I could be wrong about the beaded inset. The site seems to progress from simple/lower cost (flat front and square inset) to more elaborate and higher cost (beaded inset, raised panels).

• izzyce
    15 years ago

I looked at Crown Point, Signature and Plato (via Kitchen Works in Acton).

Honestly, the quality difference between Crown Point and Signature is quite dramatic. I initially was going with Signature, and my architect really steered me to Crown Point. The construction, finishing and details in his opinion were all superior with CP. I reluctantly took his advice and bit the bullet in terms of the higher price (about $5000). I also emailed with MamaDadapaige and got her advice and perspective after seeing her gorgeous photos.

The cabinets are now in, and I can tell you that the whole process was impeccable and that the cabinets are beautiful. Jeff Schneider was my designer and he came down to measure 3 times. We're in a historic house, so the floors and roof aren't exactly level. He took all of this into consideration and worked carefully with our builder to discuss installation. Like MamaDadapaige we went with the Antique White finish, and it's a gorgeous, glowing creamy white. The toe kicks got lost in delivery - no problem, Jeff reordered them and had them shipped. The process was so seamless and painless that I ordered the master bath vanity from them as well. It's perfect too (in soft white), and arrived on time and pristine.

I was a creative director for Pottery Barn in my previous life, so I'm a bit demanding (that's a nice way of saying difficult) about my house aesthetics. I am happy to chat with anyone offline if they want more input. Will post photos soon (as soon as the painters get OUT of my house).

Also... my architect told me that CP is hustling for business in these slower winter months and is getting more competitive on price. I would definitely give them a call.

Isabella

• tearose21
    15 years ago

Sayde, sounds like we are on the same track. I just got a rough quote today from Crown Point for the newport beaded inset and I have the same question about taking my original leaded glass and adding it to their cabinentry. I was told it could be done, but the details have not been worked out. They are taking a long time to get back to my KD with the actual quote. As far as Wood Mode their quote was higher, but I really seem to prefer Crown Point anyway. What color are you considering for your perimeters? I am thinking the soft white and a stained island. We too are going to have the floor to ceiling pantry.

• sayde
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi tearose. Right now I am looking for a contractor who would install the cabs and do all the other work. I've interviewed several and have one in mind. I'm leaning toward Crown Point if I can find a GC I feel good about and if I can get CP to come to or nearer to my "number."

I have gone from stained to painted and now back to stained for the perimeters because I think that is what will work best in this house. But I will have a painted island / work table with a butcher block top. It's going to be more of a library-look kitchen with stacked cabinets, sliding doors on the glass fronted cabs, mahogany perimeters, slate counters. I'm entertaining a greige/charcoal checkerboard tile floor but not yet sure about that. . . . I am trying to pick things that will work in the house and materials that would have been available when the house was built in 1927 (appliances excepted), and I guess I am having a perverse impulse to go in a different direction from what's popular now --- I would like a white kitchen but it just wouldn't work here.

There are some other things I need to resolve, such as whether/how to expand the window (height only or height and width which impacts the sink location). But other things, such as appliances and layout, are gradually getting decided.

I've talked to several local KD's who rep other brands. I've learned so much from Garden Web -- I keep hoping for a really good suggestions when I have shown them my drawings, but two of them have just said "You don't need me". Which is really scary.

• alice462
    15 years ago

sayde - I feel like I looked at every cabinet company available on the east coast -- CP, P&F, Omega, Shiloh, CWP, Candlelight, and more I can't remember right now. I also remember being very frustrated b/c I knew so clearly in my mind what I wanted and I could not find it! I am about some details that others would not care a wit about -- how wide are the stiles of the door, how pronounced is the "raise" of the panel, matte, matte, matte finish. What drawers styles are available?

While I absolutely drooled over Crown Point and they were the only cabinet company I could find willing to do a finish that I want (milk paint w/distressing that is painted on, not sprayed). They were also the only company whose door style and finish met my needs. Two things I had to wrestle with in my decision making process -- cost, cost, cost and distance. Being in Va, my GC (who I trust and have come to adore) was VERY uncomfortable dealing with someone so far away re: measurements, site visits, etc. Also, while I wanted a very simple door style, the upcharges for the finish was what was pushed the cost out of reach for me. I had to have a hard talk with myself and let CP go....really, really hard to do as Karen Laskoske, whom I dealt with, was wonderful and immediately "got it" when we talked through my ideas.

We have ended up using a local cabinet company who I am thrilled with, have close proximity to so I can "visit" the shop, he has made several site visits to double check measurements, etc. and could meet the time frame we are looking at. I have been to the shop and I can even go participate in the "distressing" if I want! I am such a hands on person that having this process take place hundreds of miles away might have been too much for me. If I had the skill, I wish I could do it myself, but, being able to go see it being done is the next best thing for me.

It is such a personal decision and what works for one person won't work for another -- Shiloh just didn't have the door style or finish that would work for me. The P&F rep. here was less than impressive and very inflexible. Omega, while willing to do a custom color would still have sprayed on finish and no door style that would work for me - although that rep bent over backwards to try and see if they could make it work. CWP was reluctant to stray from "set" finishes and the rep. kept trying to "assure" me that I would like what they had. I would not have.

Anyway, if I lived anywhere in proximity to CP I am confident that their cabinets would be what I would install and would love forever. I had to make compromises that others would not -- more $$$ into my cabinets means that I will have good, but not top of the line appliances. Others would choose that differently. My fingers are crossed that my plan will be what I love forever -- we'll know by the end of November when they should be installed! Good luck in your process, and keep researching -- you will find a cabinet that can provide what you are looking for!

• rucnmom
    15 years ago

We put Cabico in an in-law apt. about 18 mos. ago. Very happy with appearance and features for 80 yo MIL. We went with a painted finish w/ a glaze on MDF doors (I can't deal with the possiblity a separation line).

• tearose21
    15 years ago

Sayde, love your library look idea. That will be beautiful with your leaded glass. Look forward to hearing all about it.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks