Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
niki_friedman

Using the free sink

Niki Friedman
9 years ago

We are significantly over budget on our reno plans and the KD is going back to the drawing board to cut costs. My pretty farm sink isn't going to make the cut. DH wants to use the free sink that we will be offered when we purchase our marble.

Has anyone else taken advantage of this and has it worked out ok?

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I've seen the 5'x5' pallet of sinks from China a local fabricator gives away for free. If he paid $25.00 a piece, I'd be surprised. Junk.

• Niki Friedman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok. What sink would you recommend? We need a 30" sink. I'd love something white- don't care about the material. Cost is key.

• homepro01
    9 years ago

Rohl Allia drop in or undermount 30" sink. Usually under $500.
    Good luck!

• GenB
    9 years ago

I think we only paid around $5-$600 for our farmhouse sink. What's your budget?

• Niki Friedman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's a $150k Reno but we are bumping out, moving/removing walls, doing a mudroom, moving laundry etc. We live in an expensive area outside of DC.

• GenB
    9 years ago

I'm sorry... I actually meant your budget for a sink. If you're careful, you can probably still get a farmhouse sink. :)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

This is a good deal for this farmhouse sink. $370.99 and free shipping

Here is a link that might be useful: Sink

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Another one cheaper.

Here is a link that might be useful: $339.48

• Niki Friedman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all! Basically we have no sink budget, which is why we are considering using the free one! Will have to compare the cost of installing an undermount vs farmhouse.

Love those sinks but need something a bit more cottagey. Great idea to search eBay!!!!

• smalloldhouse
    9 years ago

I'm also just outside DC and I feel your pain. We remodeled a tiny kitchen and it's still quite small but the cost was not! I really wanted the Kohler Whitehaven farm sink but opted out because it seemed like an easy way to save a few hundred dollars in the heat of the reno. (I needed a less common color, which put the Whitehaven well above $1k.) I got a Kraus stainless undermount instead for $350 or something.

I'm very happy with the Kraus, but I still love the farmhouse look, and I think since it's a permanent part of your kitchen, it's not the worst place to blow your budget. I went with a less expensive faucet that seemed basic and okay (the Simplice) and that one doesn't bug me, but the sink I might do differently if I were starting all over. It's hard to know where to draw the line - there are so many discretionary expenses that I didn't really plan for at the outset (I just bought an expensive new coffee maker because the old one looks so dingey in my new kitchen!) Long way of saying, check Ebay!

• Niki Friedman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Smalloldhouse... I'm sure that your kitchen is quaint and lovely. The more we cut due to budget, the more I realize that this kitchen is going to be beautiful and very useful for our family and lifestyle but it's not going to be my "dream" kitchen. Close but not quite. Maybe in 10-15 years we can do it again and really pull out all of the stops.

Our reno won't begin until Nov so I'm hopeful that I can save a lot on Black Friday or Cyber Monday. Fingers crossed!

• northcarolina
    9 years ago

I would shop based on bowl configuration, because that's what makes the biggest difference in the functionality of the sink. If you want a single-bowl sink like a farmhouse, you might not be happy working with a divided double-bowl sink. See if the installer has a single-bowl sink as one of the free options (some installers do give you a choice).

For what it's worth, our prep sink was $40 from Ikea, and after getting heavy use every day for a couple of years, it still looks and works exactly as well as our much more expensive big sink. Actually, it looks better... the finish is easier to clean, or something. So I'm not convinced that spending more money makes much difference in the day-to-day usefulness of a stainless steel sink, assuming that's what your installer offers. Reasons to spend more would be to get a different style, material, or bowl configuration. (My budget-conscious opinion only, of course.)

• friedajune
    9 years ago

I wouldn't get the free one from the fabricator. Remember a sink is something not easily switched out if you don't like it.

You said you wanted a white sink. Why not the Ikea Domsjo sink? It's white and comes in 3 sizes. The middle-sized one is $186.

GW Thread Discussing Ikea Domsjo sinks and pics showing mounted different ways

Ikea Domsjo sinks

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

I totally understand that something has to give. Is there any flexibility on something that can be more easily changed in the future? If it were me and I wanted a farmhouse sink, I'd resent that other sink in perpetuity. ( We are keeping old appliances in favor of things that will be difficult to improve in the future. My microwave is 20 years old, but it works. We will replace it down the road. But we put the money into the cabinets and counters.) I'd hate to see you finished and unhappy.

• Niki Friedman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks :) I totally forgot about that ikea sink. I think that's doable!