Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
freckles81

Sealing butcher block with floor polyurethane?

freckles81
9 years ago

We are contemplating redoing our kitchen in order to knock out a wall. Fingers crossed I can sell the current granite counters on craigslist. The kitchen would have to be flipped and the counters could not be reused. I'm thinking about ikea butcher block counters at least for now because solid surface is not in the budget. I have no intention of using the counter as a cutting surface and I don't want to deal with the hassle of taking everything off the counters to oil them constantly. Would I be able to seal them with a few coats of floor poly, probably oil based, and not have to worry about them?

Comments (7)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

No .... it will crack and flake. Use multiple coats of classic waterlox, following their directions so it soaks in, doing BOTH sides.

No oiling required. Do NOT use ammonia-containing cleaners.

PS: Ikea's butcher block quality is in the tank, and availability is uncertain ... I used alder from perfect plank perfectplank.com

• freckles81
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have some old discontinued ikea butcher block counters that I was thinking of using. Possibly lagan, it's only 1" thick, not sure if that is not thick enough? I was envisioning the butcher block being a temporary solution until I can afford quartz. Although not sure how long temporary would end up being.

Why would a floor poly crack and flake? I would think floors take more of a beating than counters?

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Use appropriate products for their intended use. Use a food safe product intended for butcher block counters.

• northcarolina
    9 years ago

Remember that the Ikea butcherblock is pre-treated with their oil, so if you use an incompatible finish, it won't stick. You'd have to sand them all the way down past the existing oil finish, which might be more work than it's worth.

I don't know if they're still selling their Behandla oil -- I mean the linseed-based countertop finish, not the beeswax one they have in the stores now -- but that's what I used and it has held up beautifully. It was sort of a pain to apply, but I haven't had to reapply it. It did not have a strong odor like Waterlox does (I tried a sample of that but couldn't handle the smell).

I think the thinner tops have more risk of warping than the thicker ones; I believe that's what they told me at the store when I was buying ours. Still, it sounds as though you've got free countertops (well, already-paid-for countertops), so unless there's something wrong with them, I'd go with them! Just don't put in a tile backsplash yet, if they're thinner than the countertops you intend to install later.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

freckles81:

Lower your expectations for your granite sale on Craigslist. If you get $300.00, you're doing really well, that's after you've removed them without breakage.

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

I have a walnut plank island counter that I do not use for cutting. I would never use anything but a food grade and safe substance on it.

• freckles81
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We have been using the lagan counters as a large u shaped desk in our office, so we have gotten our moneys worth out of them.

I already stated that I do not intend on using the counters for cutting. So waterlox is the way to go?