Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gratefuljan_cubsfan

Wellborn Cabinets?

I'm looking at cabinets and getting quotes for our kitchen. I had a company quote me for Wellborn Forest cabinets. I also noticed there is a Wellborn cabinet company. Any input on Wellborn Forest? How do they compare to Diamond or Kraftmaid?

Comments (12)

• abbycat9990
    15 years ago

We have Wellborn Forest cabinets, and are happy with the quality. Compared to the Kitchenmaid (or any models on display in the big boxes), they seem to be sturdy and well made. I also love the finish.

We originally chose a shaker style from Aristocraft, but our GC changed cabinet companies and they steered us to this style from Forest Wellborn (Cierra):

Again, no complaint with the quality of the cabs, just irritated at the sudden switch, which led us to agree to a style that is not a full overlay....

Here is a link that might be useful: Our doors

• jenanla
    15 years ago

I just had Wellborn Forest installed, still waiting for the counters and crown to be installed. I love my new cabinets, although my choices are not for everyone.

I chose 3 different door styles, 3 different colors, and 2 different woods (all of mine are painted).

I'll post pictures, later today.

Jenn

• gratefuljan_cubsfan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info and pictures! I'm happy to hear the good reviews. The company that gave us the estimate just knocked another 3K off the price. Said they were slow and needed the business. I'm still going to shop around. I'm getting an estimate on Diamond tomorrow from an independent place and I'd like to find a cabinet maker in my area too. Unfortunately my kitchen fund just took a big hit in this economy, so I may have to wait a few months until things come around. So, it will force me to comparision shop!

• jenanla
    15 years ago

Hartford door, Oak, Bordeaux (Cooktop/Hutch)

Middleton drawer base, Maple, Praline (Sink wall)

Middleton door, Maple, Milan (Sink wall upper)

Somerset door, farm sink base, Maple, Bordeaux

Hartford door, Oak, Bordeaux (Cooktop/hutch upper)

Middleton door, Maple, Milan (sink wall upper/ above integrated SZ 700)

I love the color of the Bordeaux, although it appears very orange in the photos. I seem to have lost the pictures of the cabinets installed.

Jenn

• sduck2
    15 years ago

Wow., I love, love love your choices. That Bordeaux is beautiful. I have an old butcher block island and was thinking of painting the bottom that nice green I've been seeing around. But that bordeau I might have to steal instead. I can't wait to see it together. Are you going with soapstone?

I can't wait for pics!

• jenanla
    15 years ago

Thank You sduck2-Yes I am going with Soapstone on the Bordeaux hutch (with an electric cooktop) and a Soapstone farm sink in the Bordeaux beadboard base.

The counter on the sink wall will be Oak butcher block from IKEA (partly do to $)

I'm also bringing my black freestanding island with Copper counter that I had made for my current home (blacks aren't exact and it may be a bit small, but I want to see how we use the space before I commit to a fixed island).

• k9doglover
    13 years ago

BOUGHT 2009: White cabinets with Chocolate Glaze -These were expensive cabinets!

1) Cabinets arrived from the manufacturer with cracks in several doors. Had to ask for replacement.

2) Mullions (the stripes that makes the glass look separated in glass doors) was not the same as in the catalog! They were flat cheap pieces of painted wood. Awful!

3) White Paint is flaking off after only 2 years of use. (We are a married couple w/no children) These cabinets do NOT get hard use!

4) Poor paint job. -When they make a mistake with the chocolate glaze after the cabinet is painted white, they just spray more white paint over the brown paint mistake -so when it dries, you can see dark brown under the white.

5) Only a 5 year warranty is unacceptable. A manufacturer that is confident in their product gives a better warranty!

6)Cabinets arrived with several different "left-over" wood species and slapped on where ever you wont see.-For example: If you have a light maple cabinet and see only the front, Wellborn uses what ever back and side piece they have laying around, so you may have dark cherry piece on the back or oak on the side. Even though you wont see it, I don't like this kind of workmanship. I was appalled. But guess what? When the cabinets arrive and you find this surprise after waiting weeks for them to arrive & you gotta get them up or wait another 5-9 weeks... uh, what are you going to do?

7)Glass for cabinet doors is expensive. I didn't know that. Most cabinet manufacturers ship the cabinets w/the glass. NOT WELLBORN! Wellborn gave me a spiel that the glass breaks in transit so I believed them. Then I paid a glass company an additional $380.00 for 4 glass doors (plus installation into the cabinet w/silicone) and 6 glass shelves. Wow. That's a lot. And I called 4 glass companies in the Maryland DC area.

I believe the only reason the contractors are pushing this company is they must be making a fantastic commission on them. I AM PISSED!

• jjpurcelljr_aol_com
    12 years ago

All these postings are for Wellborn Forest cabinetry. That is a totally different company than Wellborn Cabinet Company. I have had great luck with Wellborn cabinets. This website is misrepresenting both companies.

• Sallie12
    11 years ago

Please think long and hard before purchasing wellborne cabinets. Using this manufacture has been a huge disappointment. After 1 year, we are still waiting on a cabinet front to be replaced. We ordered white cabinets, the paint is simply wiping off, the quality is poor - staples sticking out, the corners with large spaces. They have sent reps to look and i was told, "you shouldnt have ordered white and that the corners were within reason....? Cabinets are expensive part of a kitchen remodel - spend the extra money and get high quality and work with a manuf that cares and still has pride in the work they do - this is not Wellborne. Wellborne blames the designer, the designer says wellborne dropped them ... the consumer is still waiting.

• MichaelMcC
    11 years ago

I'm confused regarding several posters here. Welborne Cabinetry and Wellborne Forestry are completely separate and distinct manufacturers. Wellborne Forestry has been getting a lot of bad news here. I have Wellborne Cabinetry, premier series, all plywood construction, stained..NOT painted...and my cabinets are quite nice. If painted is your thing, go cheap...you'll need to replace them soon anyway....avacado appliances ring a bell?

• Roz411
    9 years ago

WE ARE GETTING OUR KITCHEN REMODLED WITH THE WELLBORN PREMIER SERIES. I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIND MORE KITCHENS WITH LIGHT CHERRY STAINED CABINETS EITHER IN SEVILLE, OR MADISON , richmond or rose hall TO SEE WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE. I'M ALSO INTERESTED IN STACKED GLASS CABINETS TO THE CEILING. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING ON HOUZZ AND DID PUT IN CHERRY CABINETS BUT IT IS LIMITED. SEEMS THE KITCHENS ARE ALL IN CREME COLOR OR WHITE. IF ANYONE HAS PICS OR ADVISE PLEASE SEND IT.