Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hammer136_gw

Kitchen Finished Now Backsplash HELP. PiCS

Hammer136
9 years ago

Just completed our kitchen the original granite had some issues. So decided on Sienna Beige Granite. Now just need a little help with backsplash. Cabinets are Cherry Decora and island is Kaffe so is Crown and Light rail. Please post any suggestion pics.

This post was edited by Hammer136 on Mon, Sep 8, 14 at 20:29

Comments (29)

• rightdi_gw
    9 years ago

Pictures?

• Hammer136
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kitchen

• Hammer136
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kitchen

• Hammer136
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oven

• Hammer136
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Backsplash pics which one you think

• Hammer136
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kinda leaning towards this one

• Hammer136
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Possible any suggestions anyone.

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

IMHO - the granite is beautiful but with sufficient movement of its own. I think any of your BS choices will compete and ultimately disappoint.

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

Agree with phonelady. Can you get a better picture of just the granite, maybe a daylight picture?

• countryatheart
    9 years ago

I agree with phone lady, all of those on the entire backsplash will be too busy and distract from your beautiful granite. I have a similar shade of cabinet with giallo ornamental granite. My backsplash, when it finally gets done, will be a cream, off white, bisque, subway tile, something simple. DH wants travertine, I'm not too keen on it, and I haven't been able to find an ivory travertine that doesn't read pink to me. He really likes a busy backsplash and I may have to give in to a row of accent tiles for him. I did find a crackle glass 1 inch square mosaic that has the shades of browns that are in my countertop. If you check out Houzz looking for kitchens with mosaic backsplashes you get an idea of how busy they read. They are usually paired with a much simpler countertop. Welcome to the ABB club. All but backsplash. It seems to cause the most angst among us, but when you land on the perfect one you just know it. Good luck!

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

I agree. Simpler would show off your beautiful granite, better.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Darker perimeter here, but lovely:

Google your countertop + dark cabinets. Look for combinations which you love. Good luck!

• farmhousebound
    9 years ago

Agree w/ all of the above that current choices look way too busy and will distract from your granite which is beautiful and needs to be the star :)

• tracie.erin
    9 years ago

I agree with the others. The options provided are too busy for your granite. Let your granite be the star it is meant to be and go with something simple, like an off-white subway. That will also contrast nicely against your cabinetry. I love the darker crown and island against the cherry cabinets, btw.

• Hammer136
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all what about a 4x4 travertine any thoughts.

• eam44
    9 years ago

It looks like you are fond of glass tile mosaics, but I really think the space would be so much warmer with a glazed ceramic tile. Fireclay makes a beautiful tile, ultra creme with black patine, that you can get in almost any of their shapes if you are not a fan of subway tile. If you want glass I'd go for a long format mosaic of all one color.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I googled Sienna Beige and several photos of this kitchen with travertine tiles came up. Can you see how pink they look against the golds of the granite? I have read here that travertine looks pink but can't tell you if it's true of all travertine.

• Marc Johnson
    9 years ago

Another vote to simplify the backsplace - let the granite sing (we went the other way, counter top was the more subtle 2nd fiddle to the backsplash).

Maybe a glass subway tile with beveled edges for some depth?

Here is a link that might be useful: Beveled Glass Subway Tile Images

• rightdi_gw
    9 years ago

Agree with most. Think they are all a little too busy with beatiful granite. If I had to pick, I'd choose far right. :)

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

Your granite is a bit busier but I was reminded of Morton5's kitchen. Note - google search for "fire and ice" and "gardenweb" will bring up other threads that go into detail about changing the accent tiles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Morton5 reveal

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

Here is a link from the Jeffrey Court website for the accent tiles. It appears Morton5 only used the Glacier Bay.

There are people who are in the granite-needs-simple-backsplash camp and people who are in the granite-doesn't-need-simple-backsplash camp. I'm in the former, but "taste" is very changeable. The same people who say 'no' now, might be peddling the look in a few years!

In general I don't like (glass) mosaics with granite, but I like Morton5's stone mosaic with the glass accents.

Here is a link that might be useful: glass chips

• Hammer136
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks I think im going to check into the subway tile with some glass accents. Still looking everyone has been a big help. Checking into Fire And Ice also.

• bookworm4321
    9 years ago

I really like the Fireclay posted by EAM44. Also check out Encore tiles. My BS is my favorite thing in my kitchen. The crackle adds depth but does not clash with granite.

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

we did a 6x6 travertine BS, but only on sink wall, not cooktop wall. cooktop wall did granite BS, same as counter.

6x6 is a larger format and IMHO looks so much nicer than a smaller tile....ours is not pink at all, so i guess u have to look around. we had no problem but it seems to be an issue on this forum...

we have a very dramatic granite so we liked a quiet, rough looking BS and the un-honed travertine worked well.

also, travertine is relatively cheap. some of the tile/glass/stone BS tiles are very expensive, so if that's a concern, travertine is great choice.

good luck!!

• bcafe
    9 years ago

If you want a glass subway, look into Bellavita tile. I have the cobblestone glass subway and it has great texture without overpowering the kitchen.

• Hammer136
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bcafe I like the bellavita tile actually like the cobblestone. Where can i buy this Im on the east coast. What kind of price are they quoting. Anyone use this tile?Thanks

This post was edited by Hammer136 on Tue, Sep 9, 14 at 20:45

• bcafe
    9 years ago

Here is a pic from when our tile was installed.

• Hammer136
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Found this tile with these possible accents. Any thoughts looking at tile then glass accents..

{{!gwi}}

• Hammer136
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Found this tile with these possible accents. Any thoughts looking at tile then glass accents..