Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why Doesn't Blanco Make a Silgranit Apron Front Sink

Posted by shannonplus2 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 11, 11 at 19:33

My good friend has the Silgranit Blanco Diamond Super Single - that's the really big one. She has the anthracite color. I have sink envy! Our mutual friend is re-doing her kitchen, and she too has sink envy, having been over a bunch of times and seen how easy-care our friend's Silgranit is. But she wants an apron front sink. She's said she doesn't want fireclay, and she doesn't want stainless. So now it looks like she will have to make a choice between Silgranit or an Apron Front. She can't have both. I am wondering if anyone here knows why Blanco doesn't make an apron front, which is so popular, or if they have any plans in the future to do so?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why Doesn't Blanco Make a Silgranit Apron Front Sink

The difficulties with the manufacture and safe storage of an apron sink in Silgranit (which can crack in storage and transport), vs. in cast iron (which would NOT crack), probably make this uneconomical. The front flap of the apron sink might be especially fragile, I would expect it to be, because of the full bend around the edge, and the hanging part.

Also, demand for these sinks is probably lower, Silgranit is not the right material for this shape.

Just a guess.

o

I have no idea why they don't, but I sure wish they would add a farm sink to their silgranit line. I've wondered the same thing for over a year.

o

I have actually wondered the same thing...I suspect it is just that they aren't convinced there is a big enough market, though they might be wrong about that.

Your friend does have some options other than fireclay and stainless. There are lots of copper farmhouse sinks, and I have also seen them made from concrete, teak wood (see William Garvey in the UK), bamboo (see Lenova and Alfi), and a number of natural stones including granite, slate, marble and soapstone. Depending on her counter choice, one of those could work.

Finally...Mitrani at least used to make farmhouse sinks made from quartz composite. They only came in white, though, and they seem to have been discontinued (though some online retailers look like they have them in stock). There are some previous threads about these sinks, and there are some members who own them and seem to be happy. See, for example, Shelayne's post with pic in the linked thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread discussing quartz farmhouse sink

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here