Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_lu_gw

baker's table/harvest table?

mary_lu_gw
11 years ago

We picked up a table for the kitchen this weekend. We are always looking for something a little different and this fit the bill. It has 2 drawers on the front and on the back side there is a drop down leaf. The top is made up of 2 boards and the drop leaf is one board. Not really sure what to call it except mine! :-)

We took out the possum belly baker's table we had in that spot as it is not as long, and with limited counter top space this table will really help. Not sure where I will put the other baker's table yet. It did come with casters but we have to fix the bottom of one leg before we can put them back on. I suspect it sat in a barn and the leg bottoms got wet. It was filthy when we bought it. I think if it had been cleaned up we would have paid much more. Sure glad they DIDN'T clean it up!

In this picture you can see the drop leaf in the back.

table top

Comments (13)

• Madeline616
    11 years ago

Beautiful! Congrats on a great find :)

• User
    11 years ago

That is a dream !!! Napa Style has something sort of similar...it is Nonna's work table...a couple thousand $$...ha...yours is more beautiful. Lucky find. c

• eandhl
    11 years ago

Beautiful table, enjoy it!

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Boy, what a cool table! I love it!

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

Great! I'm a big fan of re-purposing old items. I do have a particular affection for bakers tables!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Great table! I'm glad they didn't clean it up either, what a great find.

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone! I was really tickled to get it. Now I am on the hunt for a vintage bread box!

Remodelfla, yes I know, I love your bakers table! You did such a fantastic job restoring it!

When we got home DH said I suppose you want to clean it up right way? Well duh....of course! There was one lady bidding against me at the auction. Think she was a dealer. She outbid me on a chenille bedspread and a cute set of bedside lamps. But I got the table and an ornate iron bed that she was bidding on too(will have that sandblasted as it is quite rough looking but sturdy) Also picked up a cute side(?) table, again not sure what it is exactly. Very dainty with a handle on the top. Have the perfect spot for it. So all-in-all I think we did rather well. Plus we had a fun time as we love going to auctions, especially when we find unique things. Did miss out on a cupboard that would have looked good in the kitchen, but that's ok.
    little table

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Great finds!
    Love both tables!

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Beautiful table! Such character! Congrats on your wonderful find.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Wow.
    I love that table! I really love that table. It's rustic but has an elegance in its simplicity and delicate legs. You did well!

I also like your side table. That's a definite style, though, isn't it? Do you know what the name of the type of table it is? The handle confuses me. :)

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No I don't know the name of the type of table it is. I did some searching on it, and did find a picture of one like it. They called it an occasional table? It is stamped Heirloom Weiman Tables. I think it is from the 40's?

Here is a link that might be useful: link to auction

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Very lovely. The wood and finish reminds me of an old hardware store counter - just what I'd like for counter tops in my kitchen someday.

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

schoolhouse, that is part of what I like about this table. I have been looking for a store counter for ages. Problem with most is that they are finished on the front side, but the back is often open without doors. Where this table is located that would not work for me. So this was the next best thing!