Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shannon319

Lazy momma wants uba tuba..too high maintenance?

shannon319
13 years ago

Okay, I'm not THAT lazy, but I really like the look of Uba Tuba and I just don't know how much work it will take on a daily basis to keep it looking nice. My husband makes the lunches at night, so there will be crumbs on the counters from time to time. We also have hard water which I'm afraid might leave a white mineral deposit ring around the faucet.

Can I just wipe it each day with my dishcloth and water? Will it show each and every little crumb so that I will go insane cleaning it up? Seriously, I am not that OCD, but I don't want to regret this decision. I think the black will be striking with medium stained maple cabinets.

My other choice would be something like a St. Cecelia or Venetian gold, but I don't want it to look too monochromatic.

Thanks for your advice!

Shannon

Comments (5)

• amielynn
    13 years ago

My Aunt has Uba Tuba and is pretty meticulous about wiping the counter and she has hard water spots around the sink area. It was enough to convince me that I either need a water softener or lighter granite.

• krabbypatty
    13 years ago

I had Tropic Brown in my last kitchen, which is dark but not as much so as Uba Tuba, and it was a lot of maintenance, at least for this "not THAT lazy" (like you) gal. It was the smears, not the crumbs, that got me. After wiping with a cloth or sponge to clean up, I had to spray with a granite cleaner or use a completely clean (read: new one every few days) microfiber cloth with hot water. Otherwise, I'd have smears that the undercabinet lights really highlighted.

You just have to decide how badly you want dark and shiny. You might love it enough that you don't mind the extra work. For me, it wasn't worth it. This remodel, I want a much lighter granite, or, better yet, something non-shiny, like soapstone.

• ellendi
    13 years ago

I have Giallo Ornamental. I have to run my hand over the granaite to even realize it is dirty. If low maintenance is what you want looks into this type of granite. ST. Celica is similar and there are many others.

• Kate @ The-Hall-Way
    13 years ago

We have Uba Tuba with cherry stained Maple cabinets. We also have hard water, however we have a drop in sink instead of undermount (not our choice, it was a spec house). We probably have less of a problem with water getting on the counters than if we had an undermount sink, however it does still happen and it hasn't been a big problem. The water spots aren't too bad and they come off easily. I use Clorox wipes almost exclusively and they work great. When family visits, they will often use wet washcloths to wipe the counters which leave streaks and that does drive me nuts. Most other spots don't show up unless the light hits them just right. I think the variation in the granite helps distract from spots. Crumbs would be my biggest complaint because they show up the most. I should note that I am a "lazy momma" like you and I'm not OCD about cleaning. Wiping it down once or so a day is fine for us, but I know some people that every spot would drive crazy. HTH.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Tip for water/mineral deposit rings (not etches) left behind: when dried water spot outlines are left on my counters (Labrador Golden Flake), I take a 000 or 0000 steel wool pad, and go over the spot(s)with it. Removes the spot(sO and doesn't scratch my counters. I would think Uba Tuba isn't any softer or more delicate than my granite, but try it in an inconspicuous area first to be sure.