Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yvonne_99

Add a pantry or not and which size?

yvonne_99
9 years ago

There are such great ideas and advice on this forum. I love reading it even when I'm not planning a project....lol I bought a house Nov. 2013 and I'm now I'm ready to tackle the kitchen. I hope you'll take a minute and help me decide which kitchen option to pursue.

The house was built in the mid 80's and it has a galley kitchen. The kitchen is approx 22' long and 9' wide. The kitchen portion (cabinets, appliances, etc) is 11.5' and the table portion 10.5'. The ceiling is 8' on the kitchen half of the room. The ceiling is vaulted on the other half of the room. It starts at 8' and vaults up to 11'. I will add photos to make this more clear.

My original goal for this kitchen reno was to add more counter space and storage, but I want to keep the same basic kitchen footprint to keep costs down.

The 1st option is to extend the counters on both sides by 30 inches. I think this is too long. I also don't know what I would do about the back splash because I didn't plan to put cabinets above the extension.

The 2nd option is to extend the counter on the range side by 18" and add an 18" pantry on the end of the sink side. I still have the same concern about how the counter extension will look without a cabinet above it and what do I do about back splash.

The 3rd option is to ONLY add a pantry on the sink side of the kitchen at the end of the counter. I'm not sure if this will look ok because of the 2 different ceiling heights. The pantry will be outside of the 8' area; the cabinets will be under the 8' area. If I take this option should I go with a 24" pantry or go a little smaller with an 18" pantry.

The 4th option is to just replace my current cabinets; don't add an extension or a pantry.

I'm short so the pantry would make it easier to store and get items than trying to reach the upper cabinets. I would like to have a 42" round table with 4 chairs so I don't want to extend too much into the eating area.

Any opinions, advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated......thank you!!!

Comments (8)

• ainelane
    9 years ago

Hello!
    I'm not sure I totally understand, but are you going to be ripping out the existing kitchen - cabinets, backsplash etc? Or are you keeping what you have and looking to just add new for the extension?

My thought on your question about the pantry - no, I don't think it will look weird to have part of the kitchen extend into the part of the room with the vaulted ceiling. I have a somewhat similar setup myself and I don't think it looks off.

And I'm also wondering what you mean when you said you wouldn't be putting uppers over the new "extension" cabinets. Why is this?

I think it might be better to try posting a drawing of the layout with measurements. Your photos are great, but the drawing would be more helpful.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Do you currently prep ,ore on the range side or sink side? I completely agree with the auggestion for a to-scale layout with clearly marked doors, windows and distances.

Off the top of my head I would opt for an additional thirty inches of counter on your prep side, with open shelving above. I also do not think it would look too strange to have a full-height pantry opposite the counter extension, done right it could look like another piece of dining room furniture.

• yvonne_99
    Original Author
    9 years ago

First let me say thank you both for replying. My plan is to replace my wood floor with tile, replace the white cabinets with light cherry shaker style cabinets, install a granite counter top and subway tile for the back splash. The room will also be repainted.

The pantry would match the new cabinetry. The plan is to top the cabinets with crown moulding. The cabinets on the 8' side will have crown to the ceiling, but crown on cabinets, outside of that area, will not reach the ceiling. That is what is throwing me off. I don't know how I feel about the aesthetics of that look because I have never seen it anywhere. The kitchen company used computer software for the drawing but it's not 3D.

AineLane - if you have a pic of your kitchen I would love to see it!

Another reason I was hesitant to use upper cabinets is because the kitchen is so narrow. I only have 10.5' x 9' for my table and chairs. My concern is a 2.6' extension, on both sides of the kitchen, with upper and lower cabinets will make the eat-in area of the kitchen feel too tight and make the kitchen feel too closed in. I also don't know how it looks to stop your cabinets in the middle of a wall.

Greenhaven - if truth be told I don't prep on either side since I don't cook that much.......lol

I don't have the drawing that the kitchen/design company completed. I have not paid them anything and have not signed a contract with them. They are just floating ideas at me. I will see if I can hand draw the floor plan or find an online software program to create the layout.

Keep the suggestions coming.....lol

• ainelane
    9 years ago

Thanks for answering my questions.
    I think the crown moulding could run along the cabinets at the ceiling height in the "low" area and then just continue onto the pantry in the "high" area without looking weird at all. Or you could make the pantry higher than the 8' ceiling and top it with it's own crown. I can totally see that working. It would look especially good if you did like greenhaven mentioned and make it "furniture looking".
    After I mentioned my own kitchen, I realized it's not really the same thing, although my kitchen proper is under an 8' ceiling and the pantry is under a cathedral ceiling. But, not exactly like yours. Anyway, if I can remember how to upload a pic, I will :)

I really like greenhaven's suggestion of using open shelving above any new countertop extension. I hear what you're saying about not wanting the dining space to feel closed in. I think that's a legitimate concern. But, it would be really great to get some more counter space in there if possible! Another thought would be to make the new uppers close to the dining room end be glass front and sides.

Are those real wood floors? They look nice in the photo.

As for drawing the floorplan, you can just do it my hand and scan or take a pic. Or, try a free floor plan program. I'm just working on my own layout and I'm trying out homestyler.com It's free. So far it looks manageable.

• Liz
    9 years ago

I've seen plenty of photos on houzz of crown like you are considering. I think it will look fine!

I would add a pantry and as much counter space as you can. There are ways to deal with a backsplash. A simple one is adding a corbel to the bottom of the ending cabinet. So the tile runs into the wooden corbel instead of just ending. Then with open shelving (or not; you could just hang a framed picture or art or message board or whatever) -- it will look deliberate.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Knowing now you don;t cook much, and your concerns for the tightness of your dining space, I change my vote to 18" extensions, although I maintain my opinion for counter/shelving on one side and pantry on the other. ;) I cannot comment on the crown molding as a visual would help me best, but trust the opinions of those who say they have seen it work just fine.

• shannonplus2
    9 years ago

Aw, don't switch out your lovely wood floors with tile. The wood is very pretty, and the continuity of your space is nice. I bet you could use that money for the floor elsewhere in your kitchen reno.

• Liz
    9 years ago

here is a pic of using a corbel at the end of a backsplash, as I mentioned above-