Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aramaram

Stainless steel kitchen cabinets

aramaram
9 years ago

I am planning to install stainless steel cabinets in the kitchen. Can someone please recommend some reputable manufacturers of these?

Also, is there anything in particular to be aware of from those who have had these? Are they hard to keep clean, for example?

Many thanks for reading.

Comments (12)

• nancyocean
    9 years ago

I think they will be harder to keep looking nice than other surfaces. Some people complain about SS appliances, and while I don't believe that they are "hard" to keep looking nice, I do have to wipe them every other day, not something I do with my wood. The right surface for the right application will make your life easier.

• User
    9 years ago

Incredibly expensive. I hope you have a VERY healthy budget.

• aramaram
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies. The budget can handle it but it's also not a very big kitchen. I looked into this a while ago and as I recall the cost is somewhere between 1.5x to 2.0x regular cabinets. Please let me know if I am way off on that and thank you.

• User
    9 years ago

Way off.. more like 10x the cost of wood. Averages 2-3K per cabinet for a basic 24'' base cabinet. That is if it's non Chinese sourced 304 grade.

• aramaram
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies. The budget can handle it but it's also not a very big kitchen. I looked into this a while ago and as I recall the cost is somewhere between 1.5x to 2.0x regular cabinets. Please let me know if I am way off on that and thank you.

• emma
    9 years ago

Finger prints!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Cover some MDF with Chemetal and call it good:

Here is a link that might be useful: Chemetal

• Marc Johnson
    9 years ago

If you go stainless, you need to put some kind of protector on it (and keep applying it) ... we're doing it almost every other week on all of the appliances. Fingerprints ... ugh!

• lee676
    9 years ago

Entire cabinet stainless steel or just the doors and side trim?

If you're on a tight budget, they're always the Ikea cabinets, only some sizes which are available with stainless steel or stainless-framed glass doors.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

We considered the stainless steel cabinets from Ikea until I saw them in person in their showroom. COVERED in fingerprints. I usually don't even notice fingerprints on fridges and stuff, but the surface of those cabinets was so mottled, it was like they were patterned. It was just really busy and unattractive and not at all the simple, sleek, modern look I had in mind.

• lam702
    9 years ago

Conestoga has come out with a new line of cabinet paint colors in metallics. If you like the look of stainless, these might be a good alternative. Probably easier to keep clean too.

• homepro01
    9 years ago

Maplecraftusa makes stainless doors that can be added to any cabinet like IKEA cabinets. Different styles are available. For wall cabinets with a glass insert I ilke the look of stainless but would not want a kitchen full of it.
    Good luck!