Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boops2012

Issues w/depth of base cab vs. depth of mw drawer

boops2012
9 years ago

My KD just texted re: this issue. The base depth is 23. 5/16 the depth for MWD is according to installation is 23. 1/2. Does this mean the MW will stick out by 3/16?

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Shim the bases away from the wall 3/16" and put some molding at the end of the run.

• boops2012
    Original Author
    9 years ago

But won't that affect the corner cab being pulled forward which then affects the run of cabs perpendicular? I'm working with some tight clearances. Can I just cut the back panel off for the deptht of the mw? That should give me the extra 3/16 ?

• ajc71
    9 years ago

Can they cut the back out of the base cabinet to gain the space?

• Buehl
    9 years ago

Does that MW Drawer depth include the front of the drawer that slides out and the handle on it? If so, then it's not an issue b/c that part and the front trim sit on the outside of the cabinet box. I don't know if a picture will help, but this is how mine is installed in a standard-depth cabinet:

This post was edited by buehl on Fri, Sep 12, 14 at 19:57

• boops2012
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Buelh, is that a 30 or 24 in.? And there was no modification to the cabinet back? Also your cabs appear full overlay with 2 fillers in the corner. This is to increase the angle so the mw drawer can pull out? Or is the mw wider than the cabinet and needed to have fillers on both sides to accommodate ?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Books, not sure it addresses the question exactly, but the 24" drawer and the 30" drawer are the same except for the front face. (Guts are the same size).

• User
    9 years ago

Inset is a whole different ballgame. It needs the additional cabinet depth.

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

Works in inset with back of opening cut out.unless trying to do flush then buy the Wolf with the extra accessory. Sharps install diagrams are accurate, download them. Wolf's are also fine except there is little info on the flush inset accessory part.

• Buehl
    9 years ago

Sorry, I didn't realize Boops2012's cabinets were inset. Yes, mine are full overlay - except the corner sink base. The corner sink is partial overlay so filler isn't needed on the right next to the drawer base cabinet, but there is 1" of filler on the left (cab door hinge side) on the MW drawer run to allow the sink door to open fully b/c the MW drawer sticks out so far.

Also, yes, my MW drawer is a 30" and yes, it's the same size on the inside as a 24". The 30" just has more trim. And finally, no modifications were needed to install the cabinet.

So it's:
    * On the MW side: 31" cabinet w/MW drawer + 1" filler (full overlay)
    * Corner: 36" sink base (partial overlay)
    * Peninsula: 24" drawer base (full overlay)

Unfortunately, with inset cabinets you lose cabinet depth - so it appears you may have to modify the cabinet as Jakuvall has suggested.

Talk to your KD and contractor about this.