Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ledmond

toe kick drawers?

LE
10 years ago

I've seen lots of people here mention them, I've kinda lusted after the photos I've seen (sick, I know), but now that it's getting to be time to talk to the cabinetmaker, I have to wonder if they are worth considering. I mean if money were no object, sure, but everything is a tradeoff-- trouble is I don't know how much I'd be trading, because I don't know how much they'd add to the overall cabinetry price. Because when I think about it, although the amount of material is low, the labor for a small drawer is almost as much as for a large one, isn't it?

Can anyone give me a clue here? I know the final answer is "it depends," but I'm hoping for something a little more enlightening before I decide whether to even bring it up. Our kitchen will not be large (10 x 14) with minimal pantry storage in it and we will need a stepstool to reach the top of the uppers, but that could go under the sink.

Comments (27)

• cluelessincolorado
    10 years ago

Or the stool could live in the toe kick drawer!

• LE
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, you are a bad influence! Actually, that is what got me thinking about it again. But at what cost? I'll have to run this by the committee (I'm only half of it) and "they" will ask!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

I have seen an "Ikea Hack" where the person added a toe kick drawer to his existing cabinet using an Ikea drawer and the existing baseboard. So it is something that might be possible to add later if you decide you need it at less cost.

• LE
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, rmiriam-- that is nice and specific! Worth looking into at that price. Not sure I'd need 6,what do you use yours for?

Rae, our cabinet maker suggested using Ikea (Blum) drawer hardware as a budget saver if the sizes worked out, so that might be feasible.

Would love another data point or two if anyone else happens to know their incremental cost.

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

I like them for large heavy things like cast iron griddles, grill pans, panini press etc. I did not want to use prime drawer space for these and did not want to keep such heavy things in the above oven cabinet or worse use the oven for storage. I had the cabinet maker make it with a push open mechanism which is convenient. I also have the steps stool that goes in toe kick from rev a shelf or hafele. It added a few hundred dollars to the cost but was worth it to me as storage is a premium for my kitchen and I don't have a separate pantry.

• rmiriam
    10 years ago

I don't keep anything in the toe kicks yet - we're just now framing out the new kitchen. But I plan to use them for things like cookie sheets, placemats, etc. In my kitchen planning, I didn't assign items to them, because I figure it will be nice to have some extra space for the things I forgot.

• SaltLife631
    10 years ago

We have food and water bowls as well as storage for other dog related items in two separate toe kick drawers. This set up works out great for our needs. If our toe kick drawers were not used for pet related items they would be full of other stuff!

• ginny20
    10 years ago

Do them if you can swing it, especially if you have a small kitchen like mine. Toe kick drawers are one of the things I wish I'd done.

• olivertwistkitchen
    10 years ago

All of my big baking dishes and broiler pans and the like are in my toe kick drawers. I don't know where I would have put them otherwise. It was an easy decision for me, especially if space is a concern.

• westsider40
    10 years ago

I have 3 toe kick drawers. Custom cab. Maybe around 400 each.

Don't use toe kicks to nest bakeware or cookie sheets Use vertical dividers either in a regular drawer or vertical dividers in an upper over the fridge or wall oven. not efficient use of space and difficult to dig out a cookie sheet or baking pan if nested flat in toe kick.

you will get more bang for your buck in dollars and space if you have drawers on the bottom with vertical dividers, either side to side or front to back. If space and money are at a prem, forgo toe kick drawers for regular drawers with vertical dividers. Check out some older posts for info and pics. This may be the most important info you get from gw.

• olivertwistkitchen
    10 years ago

Another helpful thread is is from 2011 posted below. Consider loves2cook's kitchen where she stores cans in her (extra deep) toe kick drawers. Tis might also be an idea for you since you have limited pantry space. And easier to reach low down compared to a top sheld (for me any way). Also, not everyone has room for vertical dividers for bakeware and things.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toe kick drawers- worth it?

• olivertwistkitchen
    10 years ago

Also, ours don't have handles. They are a push (kick) to open which is awesome.

• westsider40
    10 years ago

Oliver, you mentioned loves2cook4six kitchen and her toe kick drawers. My tk drawers are the same as loves'. We used the same custom cabinet company. Ayr cabinets in Nappanee, Indiana made them. We are suburban Chicago.

They are great and eye catching but vertical dividers in drawers are way more useful. I have them in every drawer and my lowers are ALL drawers. I have four large drawers filled with bakeware. Oliver, speak about that which you know.

• olivertwistkitchen
    10 years ago

Wow, someone got up on the wrong side of the bed today.

• westsider40
    10 years ago

Here's my toe kick drawer incorporated into the lowest drawer. See my bakeware in my drawer. Don't know how to post more than one picture at a time.

• westsider40
    10 years ago

Cookie sheet in upper cabinet with vertical dividers.

• westsider40
    10 years ago

Here's my pull-out pantries.

• LE
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, westsider. Agree about the importance of vertical storage. I have some now, but not nearly enough, and there's way too much nesting and wrestling with contents.

About your toe-kick drawer-- is it on rollers at the bottom or what? I'm not quite visualizing how the mechanism works. Looks like a good use of space, though.

• westsider40
    10 years ago

Hi Lori, The drawer box is made to go down to almost the floor and is moved by super duper hardware-slides or glides, I guess. I can't see the hardware. My particular tk drawer is made like loves2cook4six where the toekick part is part of a large lower drawer-and there is no separate hardware or construction for the toekick part. Altho, I think that these particular pics of Loves' show 'a drawer within a drawer', in addition to toekick drawers.

There are other tk drawers where the tk drawer is only as high as the toe kick area and there is a separate drawer right above. The toekick drawer space is maybe no taller than 8 inches high.

There are probably other ways to construct tk drawers.

I was so concerned about you getting what I believe to be inaccurate info that I called my grandson and asked if he would please post a couple of pics of my kitchen. So he came over and he monkeyed with my computer and posted these 3 photos. They are, tada, ta da, the very first pics of my kitchen ever posted-and my kitchen was completed in mid 2011. So this is a special thread to me!

They are not the best quality photos but I hope they convey my thoughts. I so love my kitchen, and especially the cabinetry. Now my grandson and I will get together and belatedly post my kitchen on gw, hopefully.

• westsider40
    10 years ago

Hi Lori, The drawer box is made to go down to almost the floor and is moved by super duper hardware-slides or glides, I guess. I can't see the hardware. My particular tk drawer is made like loves2cook4six where the toekick part is part of a large lower drawer-and there is no separate hardware or construction for the toekick part. Altho, I think that these particular pics of Loves' show 'a drawer within a drawer', in addition to toekick drawers.

There are other tk drawers where the tk drawer is only as high as the toe kick area and there is a separate drawer right above. The toekick drawer space is maybe no taller than 8 inches high.

There are probably other ways to construct tk drawers.

I was so concerned about you getting what I believe to be inaccurate info that I called my grandson and asked if he would please post a couple of pics of my kitchen. So he came over and he monkeyed with my computer and posted these 3 photos. They are, tada, ta da, the very first pics of my kitchen ever posted-and my kitchen was completed in mid 2011. So this is a special thread to me!

They are not the best quality photos but I hope they convey my thoughts. I so love my kitchen, and especially the cabinetry. Now my grandson and I will get together and belatedly post my kitchen on gw, hopefully.

• LE
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Huh! Well, I don't quite grasp how it works, but pictures are worth thousands of words. I would rather show images to my cabinet maker than to babble on about it. Thanks for taking the time. Glad to have provided motivation for your delayed reveal. Let's see the rest!

• LE
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Huh! Well, I don't quite grasp how it works, but pictures are worth thousands of words. I would rather show images to my cabinet maker than to babble on about it. Thanks for taking the time. Glad to have provided motivation for your delayed reveal. Let's see the rest!

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Fabulous use of space, your kitchen looks wonderful westsider40 and I'd love to see more.

I'd also like to understand the push/kick to open mechanism! Olivertwist, how does that work? My installers had a really hard time getting my utrusta from Ikea (motorized) functioning well on my trash pullout, and still have another to install (an undersink trash).

• snooopy34
    7 years ago

What is the net depth of the toe kick drawer with a standard toe kick height? My cabinet maker said 1.5-2 inches. Is that going to be useful space?

• beachem
    7 years ago

It depends on the type of slides you are using. For example, 4" toe kick minus drawer box with 1/2 reveal and 1/4" bottom with side slides is 3" usable height. You need an allowance for the drawer to slide on top and bottom.

How you choose the cabinet build, drawer box and slides will determine your usable area.

• rmiriam
    7 years ago

Mine are very shallow. I use them for extra paper goods (napkins, paper plates, baggies, etc), grill tools that are too long to fit neatly in other drawers, and lids for bowls/pyrex. I really like them, but if you have plenty of space and they're expensive, I would skip it. I always have small houses, so the idea of giving up that prospective storage is painful to me.