Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stei7141

Looking for granite fabricator in DC metro area

stei7141
15 years ago

Until about a week ago, we were certain we were going to use Silestone/Cambria/Caesarstone for our countertop. Then, the granite bug hit. I'm looking for feedback on granite fabricators in the DC area (we are in Bethesda). There seem to be zillions of them. I've been to ADI, Fernando's, and Thomas up by The Great Indoors in Gaithersburg. I've spoken with Dominion Granite in Ashburn although I don't really know much about Dominion except it has received good ratings in Consumer Checkbook. If you have a fabricator you can recommend, or even one we ought to stay away from, I'd appreciate hearing about each one. Thanks!

Comments (8)

• pcjs
    15 years ago

We used Thomas and LOVED them and our Gold and Silver Granite - we were going to use Stone Surfaces and had a horrible experience and Avanti Granite told us about Thomas - not fancy, but got the job done at a very reasonable price given we piced a "fancier" granite by other's standard. We'd use them again in a heart beat - we have a drop too large of a gap with the range, but if you think about it, it isn't a big deal as if we swap out the range and the sizing is different we have the room - they measured for the 30 inches so it is probably the range. What I love is they got the backsplash cut in sink with the granite so it flows and they had to put in a seam and our seam is perfect and they cut the entire L shape, then cut the seam so it completely flows. They also sell Blanco sinks at a very reasonable price-cheaper than on the internet.

Fernando's has a good reputation but they are twice as much and when I went to them, weren't very friendly or helpful.

• kangell_gw
    15 years ago

I used A&S Sales and think they did a fabulous job.

Here is a link that might be useful: A&S Sales

• Buehl
    15 years ago

I have a couple you should avoid...

In Rockville...avoid Stone & Tile World. We got such a run-around that we finally dumped them.

The biggest one to avoid is Granite Source in Chantilly, VA (they're also in Ashland). They did our counters and I'm very unhappy with their work....seams are very visible. They tried to tell us it was OK to have our countertop pieces two different thicknesses (one seam still is so uneven that a glass placed on it rocks!) They also thought it was OK to have a gap b/w the counter & wall big enough to put my fingers down (not just fingertips!). Oh, and when they brought one of the pieces in the wrong way, rather than taking it out & bringing it in the right way, they decided to put the slab on the cabinets and rotate it...and proceeded to damage a cabinet beyond repair...causing a 6-week delay.

And...in our Powder Room, they didn't actually template (as I found out later), they just took the cabinet measurements and sink and fabricated w/o actually measuring...and proceeded to assume there was an overhang on both sides of the counter (nope...it was in a corner!). So now we have a sink countertop w/a 2" overhang on the right! They couldn't just cut it down b/c they had done our BS the same width and refused to do it over b/c it was too complex a design!

There are other issues, but these are the biggest!

Bottom line...stay away from them!

(Why didn't we have them do it over? Because we couldn't get any additional slabs the right color. We have a very black Absolute Black w/silver inclusions "lightly" sprinkled across the slabs. We searched a long time to find it and visited many granite yards from the Pasadena area to Greenbelt/Beltsville to Rockville to Gaithersburg to Germantown to Northern VA. With the exception of a very small lot we found at Universal Granite, everyone had plain gray slabs for AB...not at all what we wanted. There were no more slabs for us to get!)

I've linked a thread on this topic from early this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: suburban Maryland granite yards, fabricators

• karalouise
    15 years ago

We are in Northern Virginia and it seems like we got estimates from everywhere imagineable!! Our contractor recommended Luck Stone but I wasn't happy with their selection or their prices which seemed to be almost DOUBLE everywhere else. I eventually ended up going with GranTops in Frederick (yes it is a bit of a drive) because of their customer service. They were the ONLY company that was willing to email me an actual list of their Level 1 - exotic granites and the price per sq. ft. for each. Every one else seemed to give me the run around ie "just come in and see what you like first".

• pigeen
    15 years ago

ADI did a very good job for us --very easy to work with, on time, and excellent craftsmanship. We got our slab from Arc Stone.

• iris16
    15 years ago

We got our granite at Avanti in Frederick and used BC Stone out of Everett,Pa (814-652-2397) for fabrication. I can't say enough postive things about BC Stone. They template using computer technology so the fit against the backsplash wall and slide in range was absolutely perfect. They worked with us through many change orders as we added an additional desk and bar area. They accomodated the placement of seams where we wanted them and the seams were well done. We were able to attend the layout and they were very patient with us as we worked to place template as we liked it on the granite. Plus their price was lower than one other quote we received. I know they do alot of work in Baltimore, Pittsburgh,and Deep Creek.

• joycedc
    15 years ago

I used Stone Surfaces in Rockville and liked them very much. Great prices, too.

• stei7141
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback on fabricators. Does anyone know anything about Dominion Granite?