Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dneubecker

Tile Opinions Please

mdln
9 years ago

Hello, Picture shows the areas between wall cabinets and window frame.

I do not like how the bull nose tile is cut around the cabinet.

Do you think it would look better to trim some tile off the bottom of these two (2) top pieces, in order to bring it straight out horizontally across the bottom of the cabinet?

Thank you.

Comments (7)

• mgmum
    9 years ago

I had to go check my kitchen. LOL. My friend and I installed my backsplash and we cut the tile to the bottom of the cabinet and extended it across from there. So the tile was about ü to ý inch shorter than the rest of the tiles. But, I only had about 1-1ý inches of space to fill in, not the length of a tile and a half.

What's my point? I don't know. My tiles don't have a bullnose top. I think it might look better running the same straight edge as the bottom of the cabinet. The risk you take I guess, is having the bottom edge not being perfectly straight but I would think the grout could compensate for that a bit. I'm no expert. I DIY'd my backsplash with my friend. Naturally I think it's amazing. ;)

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

If it's bothering you not to have the straight line, I think your idea of shaving a little off of the bottom of the tiles is a good one. Do you have extra bullnose tiles?

Then again, grouted, you may not even notice this again....

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I think it always looks better when tile goes a few rows up the side of the cabinet, especially in your case where you have a lot of space between the window and cabinet. At least your bullnose wouldn't take the cut. Couldn't you also tile to the ceiling around the window? That may be the best, unfussy solution.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I understand the initial shock, but in the end I don't think that would bother me. It would be one of those things you adjust to.

It might have looked alright to shave the first row, but with the rounded edges of the tiles, I don't think a cut edge will look good. A cut edge looks cut. You don't want that in the interior field area. It would interrupt the flow and look like a mistake. Depending how or how well he cuts it, the edge might not be perfectly straight either.

What color grout and wall paint? Right now it is not only what you weren't expecting but is all in high contrast.

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

Because it is mostly just the bullnose that is above the cabinet line, I think it looks fine as it is.

But here it is with the bottom trimmed:

My only reservation is whether the cut bottom edge might be noticeably different. There would be no shadow line where the tile is slightly beveled on the edges.

You might try cutting a stray piece of tile and seeing what you think.

• ReBe231
    9 years ago

I like it when the tile goes up beyond the cabinet by one or two rows. That makes it look like the cabinet was placed on top of the tile and like the tile "continues" on behind the cabinet.

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Once again GW friends come to my rescue! It is hard to determine if I am so focused on the ''trees,'' that I don't realize what details I won't notice once the ''forest'' is done.

MGMum - that is exactly what I was thinking!

oldbat2be - thank you, yes have extra bullnose and it only involves 4 tiles total.

Mayflowers - LOL, my original plan was to tile all the way up the wall - I really like that look. Unfortunately (or fortunately) the painters painted the area I was going to tile and I now like the painted contrast so much I have this tile dilemma. Maybe I should stick with my original plan???

Snookumms - great eye, I'd not even thought of the rounded edges. Wall paint is what is shown, very dark grey w/ hint of blue (IRL looks a bit lighter than the pic). Is a small kitchen, w/ very litle painted wall, so dark paint looks dramatic; everyone who has seen it likes it, incl. most importantly, me. Grout - dark grey planned.

Bellsmom - thank you for photoshop! Shows how much more I like it straight across.

Rebe231 - After looking at a bunch of Houzzz pictures, I saw exactly that. I am going to dry fit & sticky tack tiles a few rows up and see how I like that.

Found sticky poster tack is great for temporarily holding tiles in place.

Again, thank you.