Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweeby

Floor Plan Critique?

sweeby
9 years ago

I'm posting this for my sister-in-law who is finally getting a much-deserved kitchen renovation.

Below is draft 1. Some considerations:
- Each square is 1 foot.
- The walls at the top and right side are exterior walls.
- Water is shown in its present location.
- Laundry area faces into the kitchen
- Bottom wall is the garage

Generally she cooks for 2 or 3 people, weekends for 8.

Her husband's already started moving things, so we're looking for suggestions quickly!

This post was edited by sweeby on Sun, Sep 21, 14 at 18:38

Comments (2)

• Jillius
    9 years ago

1) Is the only window in the whole kitchen the one above the sink? My first suggestion would be to add at least two windows down the right wall and maybe another on the north wall. What is outside the north and east walls? Is any of it picturesque?

2) What is going in the empty space in the wall north of the washer? Is there any reason it couldn't be floor to ceiling cabinets or a bit more counter? Or any reason why the AC/washer/dryer couldn't be shifted all together north or south so the empty space could be consolidated with the closet space for a pantry or counter space or whatever?

3) There are a zillion depths happen down the east wall, and none of them looks deliberate. I'd suggest making everything down that wall the same depth. If you get a counter-depth fridge, a 30" or even 32" depth counter all the way down would mean all the appliances could be flush with the counter edge. The pantry would either be moved to the west wall (see #2) or also made 32" deep. No longer a walk-in, but you'd not lose a bit of that storage since the walk-in size you have now is kind of pointless. It's not wide enough to have shelves on both sides, so you'd have an identical amount of storage whether or not there is a walkway in the pantry.

4) How necessary is the desk? Everybody I have ever seen with a desk in the kitchen doesn't use it for anything but gathering clutter.

5) What is the pink thing and the three blue dots?

• Jillius
    9 years ago

You have a LOT of space. You could get a lot of things people really love -- a big pantry, a dedicated laundry room, a mud room, lots of natural light everywhere.

Without a whole lot of parameters about what can and can't move, here is a suggestion:

And another that trades the walk-in pantry for a desk nook and seating in the kitchen.