Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
niki_friedman

Combining subway tiles with square?

Niki Friedman
9 years ago

Ok- here's the story.

DH doesn't like the standard subway tile with gray grout. Reminds him too much of you guessed it, a subway. Growing up in the 80s and 90s in Manhattan will do that to you.

I love the look and I found a company out of England, Winchester Tile, that makes a beautiful uneven subway tile that gives that rustic look DH wants but still satisfies my white glossy subway tile wish. I happen to bring home the catalog and he went nuts for these square tiles with sepia roosters on them. He is absolutely begging to use them!!!

Our house is a cape cod with a good deal of French country decor but I wanted to keep the kitchen more neutral for when we sell in 15-20 years. We're planning on doing white cabinets, black island, danby marble and lots of chrome and stainless. My KD is due here in a few minutes and we will be making final decisions in a week. Hoping to post layouts tonight.

How can I include these rooster tiles DH loves so much? I had one thought which was to go with Calcutta marble vs danby, which has more of the brown tones. http://www.winchestertiles.com/range.php?c=35&r=81#

How can we make a subway and a square tile work together?

Thanks so much for your guidance!

Comments (6)