Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mazy123_gw

Finished Kitchen with Acid Washed Marble

mazy123
11 years ago

Thank you to so many on this forum for helping me with my kitchen. I learned so much from everyone here. I wouldn't have known about Bluestars, plugmold, hidden paper towels, and so much more without all of you!

My house was built in 1990 and the only thing we had done in the thirteen years we lived here was paint the cabinets white. It feels really good to have my kitchen finished!

Refrigerator was moved to other side of kitchen where pantry closet used to be. New casement windows were put in so that when you walk in the door you see trees in the backyard.

First pictures are of the old kitchen.

Comments (53)

• taggie
    11 years ago

Wow. Wow, wow, wow! What a transformation, holy cow it's incredible.

So much to admire. The beautiful cabinets, the island (what an improvement), gorgeous countertops, the statement pendants (so cool looking), the great stools, and that stunning backsplash. What is the backsplash?

Well I better stop or I'll be here all night. :)

Great job, and enjoy your beautiful new kitchen. What a joy it must be to cook in.

• mazy123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Caspian and Breezygirl!

Realized I didn't put in picture so you could see large pulls that I used on pantry drawers and pot and pan drawers to right of stove.

Breezygirl- That is what I forgot! Pendant lights are by Flambeau. They are the Soho pendants. Chandelier is the Tassel Arm.

• momand3boys
    11 years ago

Love everything in your kitchen! Especially the 1/2 faux drawer for the electronics! I was wondering what that drawer was like :-)

I really like the dark tile and floor against the white cabinets. And those pendants! So put together!!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

It's gorgeous. Did you replace your floors too? I love your island and bar stools, and all your light fixtures.

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

I think it's really beautiful. I love the back splash.

• thynes1501
    11 years ago

Wow, you've done a spectacular job mazy123...! So much to love - the pendants, backsplash, flooring, etc.

Please share the wall colour, it really is a warm yellow.

Also I noticed there are no visible outlets or light switches anywhere in your kitchen pics. Makes for an extremely clean look. Care to share where these are hiding?

• deedles
    11 years ago

Very dramatic with the dark backsplash. The window wall is fabulous!
    (Do you have a plug-in inside your electronic drawer?) Just a fabulous reno, enjoy!

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

nice view from the front door-wonderful space and a little different with your accents.

• willtv
    11 years ago

Well that's just fan-freekin-tastic!
    Love it all.
    The floors, the cabs, the backsplash, the layout and especially the pendants.
    And so much light.
    Great job!

• biochem101
    11 years ago

Beautiful transformation! Much better having the fridge over there. Love the dark tile and the cabinets in your pony wall.

May I inquire what that itty bitty drawer next to the MW is??? :)

• mazy123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to taggie, momand3boys, marti8a, schoolhouse, thynes, deedles, herbflavor, and willtv for the nice compliments. You made my day!

Marti8a, Yes, we did replace all the floors on the first floor with dark hard maple. Very happy so far.

Thynes, The wall color is Duron Sunny Beach. There are two outlets in each appliance garage and plug mold under the wall cabinets next to the refrigerator and pantry. The wall switches are in the hallway right before you enter the kitchen.

Deedles, the charging station drawer has two outlets and two hdmi ports, I think they are called.

Thanks!

• labbie
    11 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! The backsplash tile is gorgeous with your white cabinetry and the new windows with the tile all the way up are striking. Beautiful choices all around. Enjoy your new space!

• caseyrose
    11 years ago

Beautiful with some wonderful ususual touches. I love how serene it is. The black (navy/gray?) tiles are stunning--I love them! Is the color on the wall around the fireplace navy or black? It looks great. I also especially love your lighting choices and the floors. I am not familiar with acid washed marble--will have to look into it.

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

Truly noteworthy! Function and form took first place. Love that Blue Star as you do. Can you tell us if the hood was custom too, and what insert you used and if the blower fan is inline or exterior mounted?

The Duron Sunny Beach seems somewhat close to Benjamin Moore White Linen, but probably has more yellow. BM White Linen always seemed so washed out to me, and I had it everywhere.

Thanks for the reveal.

• chiefy
    11 years ago

oh my gosh I love your kitchen. I don't typically like the white kitchens (for myself), but I think it's the dramatic dark backsplash and those pendants! that really add some great contrast and interest.

Just curious why the charging drawer is only a half-drawer instead of full width? Great workmanship the way they made it look full though.

• Lake_Girl
    11 years ago

Your home is beautiful. I love the way you blended a new and old look. I wish your cabinet guys were in my neck of the woods! What color did you use on the cabs?

• sserra85
    11 years ago

Spectacular kitchen! and those pendants.. they just made my heart stop. Do you have a source for them?.. I did a quick search of the name you mentioned but nothing came up. Bravo on such a well designed space!!

• mazy123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Biochem, labbie, caseyrose, sparklingwater,chiefy76, lakegirl, and twn85 for your comments. That makes me feel really good.

I will try to answer the questions for you...

Biochem, the itty bitty door to the right of the paper towels is used for all of my saran wrap and tin foil. I love it. We were left with that small space since the paper towel holder didn't take up much room

Caseyrose, the color of the tile is dark gray. It is kind of hard to tell in pictures. The official color is pewter. The fireplace wall is a very dark brown called stout.

Sparkling water- the surround for the hood was made by my cabinet guys. The insert I have been really happy with. I am going to look up the details and get back to you, but I think it was from the range hood store online. It vents to the outside.

Chiefy76, the drawer is a half size since the paper towel holder is taking up the other half.

Lakegirl-The color is Benjamin Moore Simply White (Thanks to Breezygirl again)

Twn85- So glad you like the pendants so much. I am surprised they aren't coming up in a google search. Flambeau sells to the trade only, but I think that some online vendors have them too. If you send me an email I can help you.

• louisianapurchase
    11 years ago

Amazing space! Love your Flambeau Lighting. I am excited to see someone use it in a kitchen setting.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

This looks great!!! Love that backsplash....it's dark and it works great! The counters are so soft in appearance.

The lights are really fab too. Well, so is the whole thing!

Congrats

Bee

• berardmr
    11 years ago

Ahhh, stunning! What tiles did you use for your backsplash? You clearly had a vision of what you wanted because your kitchen has got it all together. Did you have an inspiration photo? What a great kitchen!

• mazy123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sparklingwater, Here is more info about the hood insert. It is from www.therangehoodstore.com and is 21 inches deep. It is $789.95 on the website right now. The following I just cut and pasted from their site. Hope this helps. I thought picking this was one of the hardest parts of the whole kitchen!

40" Professional Range Hood Liner. 1200 CFM , 4 speed LED Controls, Stainless Baffle Filters, Halogen Lighting, Easy Installation, Reversible.
    Attractive and Versatile Range Hood Insert/Liner
    Built with "sloped" sides
    Versatile 4 speed, 1200 cfm Insert
    Available in 4 sizes (28", 34", 40", 46")
    Built for the most demanding applications this Liner is Designed to be used!
    Stainless Baffle Filters that are easy to remove
    Elegant and Efficient "Time Delay" Touch Control

This Range Hood Liner comes with blower and fan completely installed, and factory tested. This makes the installation one of the easiest in the industry.

Specifications
    �110v 60hz (USA and Canada Certification)
    �Electronic LED 4 Speed, w/Time Delay Controls
    �4 Speed, 1200 Max. CFM Blower �SuperQuiet - 280 cfm (1.2 Sones)
    �Low Speed - 460 cfm (2.8 Sones)
    �Medium Speed - 670 cfm (5.0 Sones)
    �High Speed - 1200 cfm (7.0 Sones)

�4 20w Dual Intensity Halogen Lights
    �Stainless Baffle Filters
    �Seamless Design
    �Easy to Clean and Maintain
    �Brushed #430 Stainless Steel
    �Product Weight 50-60 lbs
    �Air outlet: 8"

• mazy123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Beekeeperswife! I have admired both of your kitchens so a compliment from you really means a lot. I have been following your backsplash search and am anxious to hear what you will pick! Your kitchen is amazing.

Berardmr, Thanks for the nice words. The backsplash is a tile from Country Floors. It has a pewter glaze on it so it is dark gray with a slight metallic sheen to it. My inspiration for the room were the pendant lights that I have wanted for years and the watercolor paintings of pears that are above the range. I had about 200 inspiration pictures when I started the planning!

• User
    11 years ago

Simply stunning...every bit. You really put a lot of thought into the design as a function and as a beautiful space. Congratulations. c

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Wow, I think you did a thoughtful, fantastic, tasteful job.

• Frazestart
    11 years ago

It looks fantastic!
    I'm curious about the marble, what kind is it? What have you spilled on it and how has it reacted?

Enjoy your kitchen!

Thanks.

• munchladyland
    11 years ago

Stunning! Just stunning. It looks like a wonderful space to cook and live in. Enjoy it!
    I'm so glad to see you used gray BS tiles. I'm planning on Cambria Torquay to get a marble look and was wondering how gray would look in the BS. If I can get it to look anything like yours, it will look fabulous!

• jakkom
    11 years ago

Like chiefy26, I have to admit I was thinking, "oh dear, another white kitchen?"

Slap me upside the head! Yours is GORGEOUS. Your combinations of colors and materials are simply, utterly, stunning. I don't usually like tile, but I LOVE your backsplash!

And I would never have thought to combine that gray with the stain you used on your maple flooring, but it works perfectly together. Your new layout is wonderful and so full of light. You must be so very happy with how everything came out!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

COOL backplash tile--freakin' awesome! And way COOL pendants--reminds me of something out of a Tim Burton movie (in a very good way! LOL)!!! Overall kitchen is fab, but those two things are my faves!

• mazy123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to trailrunner, angie diy, frazestart, munchladyland (I think gray would look great), jkom51 (very funny), and cat mom (they do look like something from a Tim Burton movie!).

Frazestart, The marble is Carrara with an acid washed finish. You can read more about that in my post titled "Loving my acid washed marble". I have had it for about four months now and I am really happy. I have spilled all sorts of stuff with no staining or etching. I am careful with acidic type things, but I did spill a whole pitcher of lime mojitos and it left no mark.

• mazy123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

For those that are interested I found the tile picture from Country Floors with the information. Hope that helps.

• enduring
    11 years ago

I love that Black Tile with your white cabinets. And the wall of windows is brilliant (in more ways than one :).

• Zippity-do-dah
    11 years ago

It's Wonderful!!! I'll be having kitchen dreams all night! Seeing an unexpected combo is alway inspirational.....grey Pewter tile is sexy with the marble!

• kamkar2006
    11 years ago

Mazy123

I love the acid wash marble. Looks fabulous!!! I also love the use of the darker BS.

If you don't mind me asking- Where did you buy your bread bin and biscuit tin from??? I have been looking for those EVERYWHERE!

• martipat
    11 years ago

beautiful!! I love this kitchen...In addition to every feature pointed out by everyone else, I also love the concealed hinges! Great job, you must be very proud!

• martipat
    11 years ago

beautiful!! I love this kitchen...In addition to every feature pointed out by everyone else, I also love the concealed hinges! Great job, you must be very proud!

• eandhl
    11 years ago

Beautiful kitchen and I also love your table & chairs.

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Stunning transformation.
    I love the graphic mix of the dark backsplash with the white cabinets,
    light marble counters, and yellow walls.
    And, I love all the details that others have already pointed out.
    Great example of an open floor plan kitchen,
    designed to look as dramatic at night as it looks beautiful by day.

• mazy123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks enduring, zippity do dah, kamkar, eandhl, and francoise. I really appreciate your nice comments.

Martipat, Glad I got to meet you in person! Can't wait to see pics of your finished kitchen.

Kamkar- The bread and biscuit tins were from Restoration Hardware quite a few years back. I was thinking that you could probably make some similar ones by buying plain white tins and just adding decal letters. Good luck.

• dash3108
    11 years ago

Love it all - beautiful!

So jealous of your barstools - I stop on that page everytime I get a Ballard Designs catalog. I wish they were in our budget. I can't find anything (else) that I like!

• hsw_sc
    11 years ago

What a great kitchen! Your pendants are adorable, too! I love the half drawer for charging electronics and the small drawer for saran wrap, etc. Very clever.

Quick question: what do you store in the cabinets that flank your range?

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

Mazy - Amazing!!
    Lotz of things to LOVE about your kitchen but the Dark to white contrast really sets off this one. I'm hoping to pull off something similar in mine so its great to see this working so well.
    Thank you so much for the details on the range hood insert.
    This is my current dilemma of the week!! It looks like I will have to install myself so I'd really love to see a Pic of the hood from underneath looking up !
    Are you "breadbox" area BS higer than normal? Looks GOOD.

• mazy123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Dash3108.

hswsc-Here are some pictures of what flanks my range. To the left is a lazy susan cabinet that I had made bigger each way so I could store cookie sheets and cake pans on either side. On the right is a two drawer cabinet for pots and pans.

ppbenn-You are right. The breadbox area has a 23 inch high backsplash. Don't know why. It is okay for me since I am pretty tall, but I probably wouldn't do it on purpose. Hope this hood insert picture helps.

="0" alt="Photobucket"/>

• Linda
    11 years ago

That is one classy kitchen! I love it! Enjoy!

• steph2000
    11 years ago

Egads, I am in love with this kitchen. I want to build my new kitchen totally around those pendants now. So many clever little niches for things, too. That should so help with the clutter creep. Enjoy your new kitchen!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Mazy! Your new kitchen is amazy amazing! Not sure how I missed it but was visiting DM for her 86th birthday. On the road again but want to see on my computer screen and not just on my iPhone!
    Wow and Zowie!
    Live your backsplash even on my phone.

• mazy123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks legallin, steph 2000, and a2gemini for the compliments. Love the amazy amazing play on words a2gemini.

• Chloe8
    11 years ago

What a gorgeous kitchen! Your stove wall is similar to what I'm considering in my remodel. I'm curious how you're using your appliance garages, and how the doors work? Do they slide back into the cabinets, or do they just swing open out over the counter?

• mazy123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Chloe8, I am loving the appliance garages. The one to the left of the windows has my toaster oven. The one to the left of the stove has my kitchenaid mixer and the one to the right of the stove has the coffeemaker and vitamix. The doors slide back into the cabinets. Hope that helps.

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

Can I just say, WOW. what a gorgeous transformation! It is just gorgeous. I LOVE the layout of your house too. You must be thrilled!! What are the dimensions of your kitchen?

Happy memories!!

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert