Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louloulilac

Where to end backsplash?

L A
9 years ago

My counter top is 2 inches wider than the cabinet. I came home to this and it caught my eye right away. He has is flush with the cabinet. I find though the angle that you come into the kitchen the backsplash looks like it much farther in than the cabinet. What do you think? He has to come back tomorrow to finish.

Comments (33)

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Mine ends just past the upper cabinet

• enduring
    9 years ago

I think it would look better laid to the end of the counter instead of the cabinet.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Can it stop at the outside edge of the light rail and get you another inch?

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Ohhhh.....I hate this dilemma. From the photo you posted, it looks like the tile doesn't even come to the end of the upper cab. But it does though, right? I almost always prefer the tile to end along the upper cab line than the counter. To me, tile sticking out into nowhere on the wall next to the upper cab looks worse than having a bit of counter without tile. I ended up placing a hutch cab on the end of my run instead of a wall cab, but had I done an upper cab, I would have ended the tile even with that upper cab.

• annettacm
    9 years ago

Ending at the cabinet is common. Ending at the counter is also common. It's really not wrong either way. I personally don't like it when it sticks out past the cabinet, where you have an odd mitered corner. Just different opinions. I like it the way it is.

• northcarolina
    9 years ago

We have a similar setup in our kitchen (cabinets ending right next to a doorway). I had them extend the countertop the couple of extra inches to the door trim molding, and then the tile also died into the trim molding. We finished off the top of the tile with matching decorative cap tile.

In your case, since you don't have door trim molding, I would have done the countertop the same way you did (i.e. the normal way). I would prefer that the tile extend to the counter edge instead of stopping where they stopped yours, but that's just personal preference and I think yours is fine too.

This post was edited by northcarolina on Wed, Sep 10, 14 at 9:14

• sunsoleil
    9 years ago

I think it is a matter of choice--neither of them look good to me--pick one! I know that many people on this forum believe it should end at the cabinets, but I scoured hundreds of pictures and many sites that showed both. I asked my installer, since he has worked on many million dollar homes, so I assumed they've had some really good designers. His answer was that he has installed to the end of cabinets, end of counters, and staggered tiles from cabinets to counters. They all look awkward to me. I ended up making a a mock up of my options and went to the end of the counter. As they say, pick your poison!
    The good news is that whatever you choose will be right and you won't notice after a while. ( I would personally prefer it to go to the end of the counter.)

This post was edited by annalyn123 on Wed, Sep 10, 14 at 12:50

• function_first
    9 years ago

I prefer it the way he left it. I think itâÂÂs because I think of the top and the lower working together as a âÂÂhutchâ unit, so a hutch would often have a wider lower, but the top cabinet and middle would be in the same visual plane. IMO, when it sticks out beyond the uppers, it kills the illusion that itâÂÂs a single unit.

• mark_rachel
    9 years ago

I think he did the right thing. Are you going to be placing anything on that end? Mixer, canisters, etc? That will solve the problem really fast.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Bluetea, yours looks perfect. I suggested she bring it to the edge of the light rail, and yours makes me think that will work.

I also agree with Function_First's reasoning that the tile should be placed so it acts as a hutch unit between uppers and lowers.

• bluetea57
    9 years ago

Actually we did the tile first right to the edge of the cabinet....it took over a year for dear son-in-law to come back and do the light rail! Well he married our daughter in the interim so we cut him some slack! The light rail wraps around the tile.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

I always think it looks like someone ran out of tile when the backsplash ends before the countertop. We have the same situation in our kitchen and we took it to the end of the counter. We used a Schluter edge on our tile and covered the top of the tile that is sticking past the upper with it as well. I think it looks finished. This was before it was completely finished but you get the idea.

• julieste
    9 years ago

I have this same situation and ran it to the edge of the countertop so there is about 2" of extra tile that extends past the end of the cabinet. And, I really hate it! I so wished I'd ended at the end of the cabinet like yours is. To me that extra 2" of tile with the corner on top just looks goofy.

• nancyocean
    9 years ago

To me it always looks best if it's lined up with cabinet, not counter, no doubt about it.

• sevrm
    9 years ago

Looking at all these pictures makes me wonder: Don't people use bullnose anymore? I think I'm going to facing this choice next week.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

I think the OP's looks fine, and bluetea57's looks perfect...
    To me, the counter top and light rails should stand proud of the cabinet box and splash, sort of like the way a window stool extends beyond the casing and apron...

• bluetea57
    9 years ago

Suellen, one of the reasons we choose the Sonoma Tile company was because they made bullnose end tiles, and finished end glazed novelty tiles. We looked at a lot of tile companies and it seemed that there were few choices with bullnose end tiles, and there didn't seem to be good way to finish the end of the backsplash without a bullnose. Sonoma makes the tiles to order and so we were able to get both full tiles and half tiles with a bull nose end. This particular spot is the first area you see when you walk into the kitchen so we really wanted to get to right! So thanks for the compliments!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I didn't know so few companies made bullnose tile. How the heck do they expect you to end the tile?? Good thing I love Sonoma tile--it will simplify my search.

• sevrm
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info, Bluetea. I am considering a 2 x 4 inch subway mosaic, but there is no matching bullnose. I assume that the tile setter will know how to handle this situation.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

It bugs me, too, when tile companies don't provide trim pieces. I generally rule out any tile that doesn't come with something appropriate for finishing the edges, be it bullnose or an adequate trim piece. Not a fan of schluter strips personally, but a lot of people like them and to each his/her own. I want my trim to match my tile.

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

"I am considering a 2 x 4 inch subway mosaic, but there is no matching bullnose. I assume that the tile setter will know how to handle this situation.

Please don't assume anything! Ideally you will be there when they do their prep work and start laying out the tile so you can discuss your options

Otherwise if the tile setter has 3 ways to do it and one of them will be the least desirable to you, Murphy's Law says that's the one you'll end up!

• Ellen1234
    9 years ago

I actually had to go with both ways in my kitchen!

In my beverage frig run (by the family room) which is about a 105" run, I had to extend the tile to the edge of the counter since my light switch panel (with 4 switches!) would have extended past the tile! So it extends about a 1/2" further than the light rail. This was not planned very well and a lesson learned (make sure the switch panel will be contained within the backsplash area!).

In the kitchen proper, I had it go to the end of the upper, so the counter is just about an inch past the backsplash.

I think both look fine and I doubt anyone who sees the kitchen gives it a second thought.

• enduring
    9 years ago

I've changed my mind I like Bluetea's backsplash the way it looks with the counter overhang proud of the backslash. The cabinets, both upper and lower are lined up with the backsplash very nicely. The OP's lower cabinet looks like it is sticking out more than the backsplash, though it could be an illusion. One thing that may be a solution is to have the counter edge fabricated around the side like it is in the front. The OP's counter looks like the side edge is not treated the same way as the front edge. Blue's edge is wrapped around the side so it looks more finished, even though it is more simple. I think the counter end treatment is essential to give a finished look.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

"I am considering a 2 x 4 inch subway mosaic, but there is no matching bullnose. I assume that the tile setter will know how to handle this situation."

Are there any trim pieces that would be suitable for an edge? Many tiles come with other options besides bullnose that can be used for trimming edges. I agree with Ellen in that I wouldn't assume the tile person will have a solution for that. While he might have a "solution," it might not be one that you are happy with. If he isn't provided with matching trim pieces, your edges will not be "finished." If your tile has a rough edge, that will show. He could use a schluter strip, but you should let him know ahead of time that there is no trim for the tile you've chosen. Some porcelains and stones can be bullnosed on site.

• wannaknow1
    9 years ago

How interesting a discussion, especially in light of this posting about the same issue that has evoked responses since 9/8/14 through now!

Here is a link that might be useful: Good example of two things to avoid in your remodel

• sevrm
    9 years ago

Fear not, PhoneLady and jellytoast, I will definitely be there for a meeting of the minds. I should have said that I assume that the tile setter will have suggestions for how to handle this.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

After 20+ years in my kitchen I saw yesterday for the first time that my tile extends by an edge tile beyond the cabinet -- flush with counter.

• sandesurf
    9 years ago

We also ended at the cabinet. Not sure you can see, but our tile guy came up with turning our 2x4 on their side for an edge, as I didn't like any of the edges that matched this tile.

• Kitchen_ Reno
    9 years ago

at our tile shop, they can bull nose pieces for you. Ours didn't come with standard bull nose pieces, but we just told them how many of each we needed (i.e. bull nose on top, left side, right side, etc). Turned out great!

We ended ours at the cabinet. I like it that way best, generally.

• enduring
    9 years ago

Here is an example of what I mean about the side counter finish, to complement the backsplash stopping at the cabinet. Others have commented on the "hutch look" I think this illustrates it very nicely. I was on Houzz looking for something for the bathroom forum and thought this was a helpful image.

[Traditional Powder Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-powder-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_713~s_2107) by Rigby General Contractors B&B Builders

• User
    9 years ago

I was getting ready to post the same question. This thread has been very helpful as well as the link attached. I'm going to keep my splash in line with the cabinets.

• annewilson4769
    5 years ago

I think the name "backsplash" says it all. The purpose of the tile below the cabinets is to help protect the wall behind the work surface (countertop). It's not just for decoration. So in most cases, the backsplash tile should go as close as possible to the end of the countertop. When it stops short of the countertop, it can cheapen the look. (In my opinion.)