Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Grout first and then caulk or vice versa?

oldbat2be
11 years ago

I have two backsplashes to grout tomorrow hopefully - they were installed Friday - and am wondering about the order in which grouting and caulking should occur. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!! happyoldbat :)

Comments (16)

• francoise47
    11 years ago

We grouted first and caulked later.
    Best wishes -- can't wait to see your beautiful big reveal.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks francoise47 and trail runner. That's very hellpful. I'll be careful as I grout.,. And definitely think it's easier to dig out the grout than the caulk. Best, oldbat2be

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Gosh, I caulked first (not a backsplash, but my stairs and landing area). It was very easy to just keep the grout away from the caulk.

• Olandy
    11 years ago

Just finished with my backsplash install and had wondered same thing. I looked at the John Bridges tile forum and they say either way is fine. Did seem to be a slight preference for grout then caulk though.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Angie-DIY - thanks, that's what DH wants to do. BTW, how did your stairs and landing area turn out? Please point me to your pictures or post one when you get a chance:)

Olandy-thanks, good to know. The things we worry about...

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

The contractor who did my bathrooms grouted first, but with a cord of the right size stuffed into the crack under the tiles.

When he was finished with the grout, he pulled the cord out and had a clean caulk area.

• petra66_gw
    11 years ago

@ lazygardens: nifty trick, have to remember that one! Thanks!

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

The caulk goes in after the grout so it can stick and make a better seal.
    Note all that important on a back-splash since it is NOT a 'wet location.'

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

OB2be: Thanks for asking! I recently posted them on an old thread that was relevant because I had asked questions about the hallway. I linked that thread below. (I also linked it inline in my message up a bit in this thread.)

There were two different old threads I could have put the updated pictures into. I think I chose the wrong one, not that it matters too much!

Here is a link that might be useful: Updated pictures of stair and landing

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lazy gardens-love it! Too late for the pantry but I will try on the kitchen.

Brickeyee-thanks, that makes sense.

• brandonecoll
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

That cord trick sounds great. Who wants to dig out anything?Cord or string costs very little and you just pull it out after grouting, genius. Also discovered subway tile with built in spacers of 1/16. Too bad they did not come in the wavy white subway tile we picked. Would have saved about 6 hours of tiling.

• Roxanne
    4 months ago

My contractor grouted first and it is cracking . So he said, he will come back and seal with caulk . My other contractor said, first caulk then grout .i know This does not help im just as confused.

• millworkman
    4 months ago

If the grout is in an area that changes in plane, remove the grout first and then caulk. ALL changes in plane should be caulk and not grout.

• J Mig
    4 months ago

Roxanne, in my opinion, if your grout is already cracking, it was mixed wrong. That actually makes it sound a little bit too dry. Unless your installer grouted in a corner, or as someone would say where there is a change in PLANE, And that is where the cracks are. Walls and floors will tend to move with respect to each other, and that is why you can get cracking in those joints if grouted.

• chloe00s
    4 months ago

If you are using a 100% silicone caulk, it will NOT crack - EVER! Silicone caulk is elastomeric, it doesn’t crack. Always caulk only with silicone - waterproof and stain resistant. Sounds like a non-silicone caulk or a cheap, part-silicone was used.