Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quetzal1

Finished chocolate and vanilla kitchen.

quetzal1
11 years ago

Gardenweb community,

I can't thank you enough for all your pictures and posts of your kitchens. I never thought we would remodel our kitchen until I found this forum. The research I did here allowed our project to happen. You inspired me, thank you!!

Before:

Ranch style home from 1950s. We needed to improve the flow (really only one person could be working at a time in this layout) move appliances away from walls, update appliances, get rid of white grout on the floor, add venting etc....

After:

We couldn't be more pleased with the results. We removed 3 walls and added a wall cut-out on a third. Now the kitchen opens up to the living and dining room with a raised bar. We basically removed everything down to the studs and left only the large window and door to family room.

Details:

Design: Used floorplanner.com and good old graph paper with tracing paper on top.

Cabinets: Custom by local cabinetmaker in bay area. Perimeter- maple painted white (De La Creme color from Kelly Moore)

Island: Alder with custom stain.

Cooktop: Bluestar 36" 5 burner cooktop

Refrigerator: Reused my fairly new GE bottom freezer fridge

Ovens: 30" Electrolux Wave Touch double wall ovens

Hood: Zephyr Milano G island

Microwave: Sharp microwave drawer, manual open

Dishwasher: Kitchenaid KUDS35FX

Sink: Franke orca with bottom grid

Countertops: Sienna Bordeaux granite

Backsplash: Sonoma Tilemakers Stellar Portobella in 2"x8"

Pendant lights: Kichler #2665OZ

Recessed lights: Ecosmart 10.5 watt LED lights from home depot, love these!

Knobs/pulls: Amerock Highland Ridge in Dark Oiled Bronze

Walls: Hasbrouck brown from Benjamin Moore

I hope my post can help some of you in the planning stages out there.

Comments (24)

• badgergal
    11 years ago

What a great transformation! You should be proud of yourself for designing it on your owm. I love the chocolate and vanilla combination. Wishing you good times in your new kitchen.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

That just cannot be the same house! It looks like you moved. What an amazing transformation. Cabs are beautiful, and I like those secret, tucked-in saddle stools. My favorite item might be the drama you put on the walls. It looks great!

• mamasheshe
    11 years ago

Wow, wow, wow. It is stunning. I love everything and you should be so proud of your design and choices. Congratulations!

• deedles
    11 years ago

Yowzer. Nice job! Love the backsplash tile, especially but it all looks great. What a difference, eh? Enjoy!

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! Love the stone, the sink, the cabinets, the layout, etc. etc. Congratulations and may you and your family have many awesome meals there!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Love the transformation!!!
    Nice job!!!

• beeps
    11 years ago

Wow! That's beautiful!! Great job. Enjoy your new space!

• jakkom
    11 years ago

You have done a stunning redesign. I love your new layout, and your color choices are sensational! Great job!

• sas95
    11 years ago

That looks great! I especially love the backsplash. Congrats!

• SaraKat
    11 years ago

love the granite, beautiful kithen

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Beautiful! Love the BS with the granite. Looks like a kitchen in a magazine. Great job, congrats!

• plumberry
    11 years ago

great design! congratulations

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Absolutely stunning! Excellent makeover....you must be most proud....enjoy it!

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

BEAUTIFUL !! BEAUTIFUL !! I cannot believe that is the same room. I am going to study the before and after photos some more...It's amazing what removing walls can do for a room. I knocked out a useless coat closet and now my kitchen looks so much larger, even though the closet was not large.

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

So nice. I can't believe the difference. Congrats.

• labbie
    11 years ago

I'll echo what others have been saying...WOW!
    I kept having to go back and take more looks to even see how it was the same house!
    The color combinations are beautiful....and I especially love the backsplash tiles.
    We just got a new Bluestar rangetop too- hope you are enjoying yours as much as we are.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Wow, what a transformation! Looks fantastic!

• hellonasty
    11 years ago

Amazing change! Hard to believe it's the same space! Much better now, right?? :)

That's a hot Bluestar, how do you like it??

I love the Backsplash, the cab with the glass, and the colors all go very nicely together. I esp love the brown! Nice job!! Enjoy!

• Laura_PA
    11 years ago

I love this! Congratulations, hope you have many years of enjoyment!

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

Wow! That kitchen is gorgeous!!!! What a transformation:) enjoy:)

• quetzal1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone for your kind words, much appreciated! I know it is hard to follow the before and after pics because we changed so much, fridge and oven changed walls and only a small beam is left where most of the upper cabinetry and all of the appliances used to live. We are huge fans of the open floorplan for any who are considering it. We discovered that the "U" shaped layout with an island would give us the most usable counter and storage space but we considered many other plans (I had tracings of at least 11 different options). What was most surprising is that by changing one room, the kitchen, we feel like we have an entirely new home. Now we can have several people cooking/prepping and one cleaning up while simultaneously chatting with people at the breakfast bar or dining room table. To think we almost didn�t embark on the remodel!

A few of you commented on the BlueStar cooktop, I think it might be my favorite piece of the new kitchen. I love how fast I can boil water for tea or pasta on the super-sized flames and I love the control of the gas. So far I find it easy to keep clean and I love the look of it. I�m using my microwave a lot less because I can warm up quickly on the BlueStar. I chose the cooktop because it isn�t as deep as the rangetop, therefore, I gained precious inches of clearance between the stove and island. It is also cheaper, nice benefit. My old electric cooktop with glass top looked easy to clean but I spent countless hours scrubbing off burned-on stains. The cast iron cleans up so easily.

Our brown backsplash also got a number of mentions. This was a bit of a risk since most backsplashes seem to be lighter colors. Of course we got the idea from another kitchen on this forum :)and it seems to really work in our set-up. We are fans of the deep brown tile, it adds some richness to balance the open layout and white cabinetry.

To all of you in the middle of projects . . . there are bumps and surprises along the way but we found it was well worth it.

• LouiseZ
    10 years ago

Hello, What a fantastic redo. I would love to know how you like using the Blue Star cooktop. Have you had any problems?, and how is the clean-up? I am getting ready to make a cooktop purchase. Thanks for any feedback.

• rosylady
    10 years ago

Beautiful job! It's true, it does look like you moved to a new house! The browns and warm white are really pretty together.

• blondy6082
    10 years ago

Wow love the colors. Your kitchen is beautiful. Great transformation! This forum is awesome. I learned so much of what to do and what not to do.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH