Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dkotov

Silgranite sink - sponge holder type to stick?

Denitza Kotov
10 years ago

Do you use any and how it sticks to the sink? I bought Casabella one and it doesn't stick to the sink. Any good looking ones out there? I would like the sponge to be in the sink not on the top of the counter.

Thank you!

Comments (23)

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I use the microfiber pads from WS and just toss in the laundry after use. I would be interested to hear if you find an answer :-)

• repac
    10 years ago

I tried one from BBB with suction cups, and it too did not stick to our silgranit sink. Right now, I'm just hanging it over the side of a plastic bin holding cleaning supplies beneath the sink. Not elegant, but for right now it's working. Would love to get a better solution.

• heidihausfrau
    10 years ago

Nothing sticks in my silgranite either :(. I have an IKEA scrub brush with a suction bottom that falls over every time. Didn't realize these sinks were suction proof.....

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Sponges are so unsanitary! They are THE most bacteria laden item in a kitchen, second only to the chicken carcass itself. Change out to dish cloths and dish towels and change them out daily.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

I'm interested in suggestions, too! What do you recommend, live-wire_oak? And even if it is changed out daily, where does the dish cloth live between uses? I just cleaned out my tilt outs which have been holding sponges, and have to agree that is not a good plan.

• Nicole
    10 years ago

I keep my dishcloth either hanging over the side or in the bottom of the sink. I've seen this but am not sure it would work with a Silgranit sink.

Here is a link that might be useful: cloth holder

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

My sponge hasn't killed me yet. Neither have my week old dish cloths although I try to wash em when they don't pass the sniff test.

I use a countertop soap dispensor with sponge holder, the umbra joey.

Edited to add: I know that doesn't get the sponge off the counter. In the past I've also used saddle contraptions over the sink divide but obviously not practical for single bowl sink. They also sell some sink caddies that combine a metal ledge, like a gripper, WITH suction cups?

Here is a link that might be useful: joey

This post was edited by robotropolis on Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 12:23

• corgimum
    10 years ago

I have a sink grid and just lay sponges and dishcloths on it to dry.

• illinigirl
    10 years ago

I put the sponge in to the dishwasher (sanitary cycle) every time I run it. So daily, at least. Then I leave the sponge in the d/w until I need it. Also because my special needs son will come and grab the sponge if it sits in the sink. So I've become used to just storing the sponge in there.

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great suggestions! Thank you all! I'll keep it in the sink for right now.

• sosouper
    10 years ago

Here is what I found at Homegoods. It really seems to work. I took a picture of both sides of the sponge.

• twosit
    10 years ago

I've been using one of those saddle things, but will be remodeling our new cottage and will likely be putting a single bowl silgranite sink in. I had never seen the saddle that goes over the faucet--that is a great option. I also love the magnet idea! I just purchased a bunch of really tiny strong magnets for my daughter's wedding--I imagine they would have to be larger for holding through the sink--but great idea...thanks.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

I bought a pretty stainless one with suction cups for my Blanco ss sink. It won't stick on that either. I may staple it to the inside of the undersink cab door.

L_W_O, all those germs build up your immunity! They are good for you! LOL!

• summ1
    8 years ago

I have tried many suction cup products and none of them works. I guess the surface is not smooth enough. 3M now makes a command adhesive suitable for use in a wet environment. I'm going to try their shower caddy and see if it works .

• twosit
    8 years ago

Let us know how it works. I remember reading somewhere that someone attached strong magnets on the back of the holder and on the sink under the cabinet where it would be hidden.

• boops2012
    8 years ago

I found a casabella product , can't remember what it's called but it hooks around the base of my single hole faucet and hangs in the sink directly below with a perforated pouch for drainage. All plastic so no metal to scratch. Works great. I believe I found it at Ross or home goods.

• Eric
    8 years ago

Am I the only person that puts their sponges in the dishwasher? I really dislike them, but my wife loves them. I find myself putting the sponge in the dishwasher with every load. I am mostly neurotic and generally use a paper towel and toss it when I'm done.

• twosit
    8 years ago

Neurotic is my middle name ;) I put them in the dishwasher and always rinse and squeeze with hot water after using. The sight of of wet and dirty sponge sitting on the floor of the sink gives me anxiety.

• jpaints
    8 years ago

Eric, I've been putting mine in the dishwasher for years.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

I don't use sponges but I do use a Dobie scrubber if I have something that needs extra scrubbing to get clean. I put it in the DW all the time. Since I don't use it all the time, I keep it in a small flower-pot with a drainage hole with the pot sitting on the plastic mat under my sink.

• nucatgirl
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I'm using the Elkay holder on my Blanco sink. I had some hobby lobby magnets left over from a craft project (why they're spray painted yellow). A stack of 4 quarter-sized magnets are doing the job. Here are pics of the holder as well as a shot from my under-sink cabinet.

• echo3one
    3 years ago

lawjedi, can you tell me which sink/dishwand holder that you are using. I tired to use one my favorites but unfortunately its non metal and the magnets don't work :(

Sponsored
Potomac Shores Cabinetry
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Loudoun County's Well-Designed Spaces and Custom Crafted Cabinetry