Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question re: banquette seating under windowsill

Posted by phrazina (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 19, 12 at 18:12

Hello all,

I've been reading through all the real posts on banquette seating and haven't seen the answer to this question, but if it has already been answered, please feel free to point me in the right direction!

I am looking to put in built in banquettes in an L shape under two windows. The height of the windowsill is 23" off the floor. I am trying to decide how to deal with back support and comfort due to the window sill sticking out a bit. I am tempted to just put pillows that can be moved so that the window isn't blocked by something permanent. Would that provide enough comfort against a window sill? Or would you put a small backrest that would permanently block a portion of the window? or is there another solution I haven't thought of?

Any thoughts or experiences with this would be so greatly appreciated! Thanks to everyone!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question re: banquette seating under windowsill

sorry to say that I rejected just such a planning option due to windows backing a banquette. The built in banquette would look great until someone went through the window backwards :-( or no one would sit with their backs to the windows in the winter :-( or we kept losing guests behind the banquette window drapes :-)
We will be going with regular chairs.
Caspian

o

We put a piano hinge on the back, so it can fold down
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

The piano hinge is a great idea. I don't tend to sit back when I am eating, but I always felt "vulnerable" somehow, with my back right against the window in my friends' bay window banquette.

o

That piano hinge is brilliant, a2gemini.

Does the board angle back? How do you keep it from falling forward--is it attached to the window molding or wall somehow?

o

Pillows?

o

Our GC came up with the idea. I hoped for a slight angle but the pillows are a bit more plump, so it is close to straight up. GC was going to use magnants but we decided not to install as it stays up just fine. I love my nook!

o

Brilliant!!!! by the way, would it have worked to have the panels fold down under the seat cushion when not in use? I would prefer the flexibility of having it out of the way and not visible unless we need it

o

Yes. That was the original plan.
I thought of that but it seemed like a bit too much work to have to lift the big cushion on top of the wood back and then find a place to store the back cushions, so decided to just be able to flip down the back over the bottom cushion.

I will let our GC know you think he is brilliant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here