Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilaine_gw

High backsplash from cove molding on solid surface countertop.

ilaine
10 years ago

First, let me say that my father installed Corian in his kitchen in 1973, and it still looks great, in my opinion. Back in those days the colors were limited, he got what is now called Glacier White, and I would be very happy to have that look in my own kitchen. No granite for me.

I know I want the cove molded backsplash, I think it looks very clean and sanitary, but my question is, how high can the fabricators make the backsplash? The distance from the countertop to the bottom of the cabinets is about 18 inches.

This would solve a big problem for me, namely that the current backsplash is made from really ugly tile, which needs to come out. When it does, since the person who remodeled it before we bought it glued it directly to the sheetrock, it's gonna leave an ugly mess. We are looking at taking down the cabinets and replacing the sheetrock and the tile.

Since we are going for the cove molding anyway, why not just cover the whole wall with the Corian backsplash? (Might not be your cup of tea, but works for me, if it can be done.)

Comments (10)

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

There was a recent thread where someone wanted a coved backsplash. From what I remember some of the issues are most fabricators aren't doing them anymore, they are labor intensive, and expensive.

I would suggest getting some estimates. Also make sure they understand exactly what you want as in "coved" as that was one of the issues the poster had. Since most people don't request them anymore, the store didn't know what she was asking for, which led to a wrong estimate.

Hopefully some fabricators will jump in with answers for you.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

The first issue is that wouldn't be heat resistant enough behind the cooktop. It will scorch. You'd need to have a range with a backguard on it, or do that section in stainless.

A full height backplash is usually done as a separate set on piece, because of the difficulty of fitting around all of the cabinets. (That's how all stone full height backsplashes are done, like below, with a bead of silicone in between the two.) That doesn't lend itself to coving, only set on. However, if they did the standard coved backsplash and then did a separate piece on top of that, and then joined them, that might work to give you the look. It will be darn expensive. The only fabricator locally that still does it charges $40 a foot for it, which isn't far from the material cost itself. So, it almost doubles the price of the counter, and you're already almost doubling the price because of the added material for the full backsplash.

We had some issues with the stone fitting perfectly around the arch of the hood liner, even though we cut it a bit larger to cover the edge of it. We had to do some molding pieces to hide the edges.

• ilaine
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We are going to put the cooktop on an island, so that won't need a backsplash.

• chrissyb2411
    10 years ago

I was the thread about coved backsplash. I wanted a coved backsplash and molded sink, but the cost was prohibitive. I have a small kitchen, 59 sqf of countertop. The 4" coved backsplash would have been only 15 linear feet and would have cost $1500. I can't even begin to imagine how expensive a full height backsplash would be! For us solid surface was a budget choice, and we liked the seamless aspect. Once we realized we couldn't have both of those we went back to our first choice of quartz.

• deedles
    10 years ago

FWIW, I've chosen Formica solid surface and the literature says it is fire rated for stove backsplashes. Maybe Corian is different in some way?

• musicteacher
    10 years ago

I too have had a formica backsplash (all the way up to the cabinets, exhaust fan and even the window sills.) It is 30 years old and still no damage or discoloration from the stove.

• User
    10 years ago

I had Corian in a prior house, complete with the "dreaded" 4 " coved backsplash. I've said it before around here and I'm surprised I haven't been voted off the island (ha-ha)....but I loved the counter.

No seams anywhere lead to a very smooth, easy to clean surface.

I had Corian in a bath at the same house, and did a separate 4" set-in splash. That looked fine too, but it was an obvious seam.

It isn't that the seam gets gunky (at least in my house) - just that it doesn't look quite as "clean", or smooth, or uniform....

• User
    10 years ago

Corian doesn't recommend using it for a backsplash area behind a pro grade range. With a consumer grade range, and proper ventilation to remove the excess heat, it may not be an issue, even if it's used contrary to the manufacturer's recommendations. I have seen solid surface and laminate both scratch behind even a "regular" range though.

I think the bigger issue here is probably the island cooktop. Those are more often done poorly, without enough space for safety and prep than they are done correctly. It needs a really BIG island to be able to satisfy those requirements and not just prep in the corner by the sink with your back to everyone. Prep is 70% of the time spent in a kitchen and cooking only 10% yet people plan the kitchen thinking entirely in reverse.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

ielaine:

I've fabricated many full-height solid surface backslashes. Be sure you compare the total price of each. Repairing walls and nice tile can easily be as expensive as solid surface splash but without the clean look, easy cleaning, and sanitation that only solid surface can provide.

From a technical perspective, I would template and fabricate your tops with a 4" high coved splash, then hard seam the full splash to the top of the 4".

If you're doing new cabinets, pull the range forward 3" and use angled fills on the side. This will allow enough clearance between a back burner and the splash to avoid any heat issues.