Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1970s vintage kitchen

Posted by cawaps (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 18:07

I saw this on Yahoo! So 70s! And pink! AND it's an underground bunker with fake views out the window!

1970s vintage kitchen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1970s vintage kitchen

I'm really surprised it has an island....with a cooktop on it.....I didn't think islands became popular until the 90's.

o

The kitchen is either a delayed early 60s palette or presages the early 1980s, not sure. Part of it depends on the age and outlook of the person who built it. I've seen retirement houses built from scratch in finishes that were considered passe, because it's what the owners liked.

Islands aren't a recent innovation. I have an Architectural Digest from 1961 that features one with two cooktops, and I've seen some pictures that indicate "1950s kitchens" with them as well, but I can't verify the dates on those

o

So much more interesting than the 1970's vintage kitchen, in all it's Harvest Gold glow, that I've "enjoyed" at home for the last 33 years, and that's just about to go out the door.

o

The Dick Van Dyke show had an island cooktop...and that was showing what was popular in the early 1960s :)

From 1920s kitchen project

o

Thanks for the fun picture, Cawaps. Smiling, we need one of yours too. :)

o

The Brady Bunch also had an island cooktop in an "L" shape (for Alice!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Alice in Kitchen

o

I like how Laura Petrie's fridge is recessed into the wall and has the upper cabinet pulled all the way forward. Of course it's not a real kitchen....not like the Brady's.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here