Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annes_arbor

Problem free soapstone install--pictures

annes_arbor
15 years ago

I'm probably jinxing myself when I create a subject line that has the word problem-free in it (LOL), but it really was. I'm very happy with the install. The kitchen is far from finished, but I thought I'd post these pix (unoiled and oiled) for all the soapstone lovers.

Comments (22)

• elizpiz
    15 years ago

It is beautiful!! Our templating is next Monday - can't wait...

Congrats,
    Eliz

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

Gorgeous!

What variety did you get?

My templating is in 2 weeks!

Anita

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

WOW!!! I am so jealous and drooling! They are gorgous - please post which soapstone you went with? Could you let us know who did your fabrication and where you are located so some of us might benefit? Would love for them to be near me. I haven't found anyone right now I'm comfortable with fabricating mine and have begun wondering how much mileage floridajoshua charges and would he come to Georgia because I love his work.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

You kitchen is coming along wonderfully. Are those test tiles behind the stove? They look quite interesting.

• annes_arbor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The soapstone is from Green Mountain via Genesee Cut Stone and Marble in Flint, Michigan. Sorry it's not in Georgia. I sympathize with the difficulty of finding soapstone dealers/installers when you're not in a big city. I was very nervous about going with this company, because my experiences at their store were less than confidence inducing: they didn't want to move the stone and wet it for me, but then they did; they thought it odd that I wanted to be present for the template, but then they were encouraging, etc. Honestly, I think that the sorts of things I was asking (learned from GW) were alien to them and they didn't quite know how to interact with me. Anyway, the templator was fabulous and used one of those computer driven thingees. The cut stones fit together perfectly--no ruined walls, no big gaps, just perfect. And the guys who installed were very careful and did beautiful seams. I only have 2 seams on my big countertop; I'm happy I paid an upcharge to get it this way.

Pbrisjar--I propped up a couple of my backsplash tiles to see how they will look with the soapstone. I'm hoping for my backsplash installation this week!

Good luck to all of you anticipating your soapstone installation. I can't wait to see your pictures.

• katieob
    15 years ago

Your soapstone looks gorgeous! Is it Green Mountain Original or Ice Flower or something else? Glad it went so well for you!

• janran
    15 years ago

I can tell already - I am sooo going to love your kitchen. I like the guy with the Home Goods back over his head ;)

• Bethpen
    15 years ago

Just lovely!
    The more I see the soapstone here, the more convinced I am that I'd love to have it in a house someday.
    Beth

• yoyoma
    15 years ago

Gorgeous! Can't wait to see how it progresses.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Oh no, I'm getting bitten by the soapstone bug again!

Beautiful kitchen, can't wait to see it when it's all finished.

• favabeans5
    15 years ago

why does that guy have that big plastic bag over his head? that to keep from getting dust in his hair?

• annes_arbor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Katieob: It's Original, not Ice Flower. Mine definitely has a lot of green mixed in with the black, unlike IF which I think is mainly gray with the white "flowers."

The Bag--I'm going to have to photoshop that picture. A la Candice Olson, I've covered my mini chandelier with bubble wrap and then a Home Goods bag to protect it for the rest of the remodel. Too bad it's not Chico behind the bag!

• momorichel
    15 years ago

Another drooler here - and I had almost talked myself out of soapstone - now you're PULLIN ME BACK! Also: You got the Bertazzoni!! Gorgeous. Many congrats.

• eandhl
    15 years ago

Beautiful!

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

That is REALLY beautiful!! In fact, your whole kitchen is beautiful and unique. The space is fairly small, but so high-end and so functional. Also...I would love to see pictures of whatever that stone work is. I love natural stone. It looks really great!

• fightingoverfinishes
    15 years ago

Farmhousebound-I had a great soapstone experience in GA-Atlanta area. Email me if you want more information. I have had my soapstone for almost a year.

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

Gorgeous! I just want to reach through my screen and touch your counters. I love the detail of the cabinet panel coming around to finish off at the stone wall. Your kitchen is coming along beautifully.

• katieob
    15 years ago

Thanks for the information and for posting such great photos. I was leaning toward Green Mountain Original and your counters have convinced me! Keep the progress pics coming please!

• annes_arbor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the compliments!
    ccombs1: The stone wall is the original back wall of the house which the previous owners cut through to add on the breakfast nook. They had drywalled around the stone. I had the drywall taken off and had the stone cleaned. This was actually a major undertaking *and* there is some kind of pipe coming through the wall so I need to have a bookcase built to hide it. Anyway, here are some pictures from earlier in the remodel.

Stone wall when first exposed:

Cleaned stone wall:

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Any more pics of your progress annes arbor?

• napagirl
    15 years ago

annes arbor,
    I just saw the pics of your lovely soapstone and noticed the corner sink. If possible, I would really appreciate seeing a front view of the sink. Thanks in advance.

• oldalgebra
    15 years ago

Annes,
    What kind of refrigerator did you get? What size? Love the handle too.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County