Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lalithar

Will this look good - open shelf under cabinet

lalithar
12 years ago

Will it look good to have an open shelf of about 10" deep under the upper cabinet? Have you seen anything like this?

Our uppers will be 15" (Our counters are 30" front to back). I am thinking this will be a good way to add some open shelves for everyday dishes.

Another variant is to add 2 open shelves under the upper - A 10" plate/ bowl shelf and a 4" cup shelf/ ledge under that.

I want some open shelves at an easy to clean height.. Lots of lovely inspiration photos but most are for open shelves that replace the uppers.

Comments (9)

• Fori
    12 years ago

I had something similar but not that large, sized to fit my favorite mug which broke before the remodel was completed. I liked it a lot but people taller than me (ie. most adults) didn't know it was there. My uppers were 18" deep and the kitchen was a galley, so tall people lost out on my nifty cup shelves.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    12 years ago

fori, your cup shelf was the first one I thought of! :)

lalitha, I'm planning the same type of shelf for spices that I keep in pint jars, so I have a stash of photos--sorry I didn't keep track of the sources.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cup shelves (and corbels)

• dianalo
    12 years ago

They are great, but just make sure you have a place planned for any kitchen electrics. Most of those, i.e. food processor, mixer, coffee maker, etc... are too tall to fit under a shelf like that. If you have another spot for them, then I vote a big yes ;)

• marcolo
    12 years ago

I'm planning on doing something like this, should I ever get to my kitchen reno. The other benefit is that these shelves are great for all sorts of other uses, like frequently used spices, or a place to put a prep bowl full of chopped onions or whatever while you're cooking.

Resolving the height issue is paramount. In my case, I will do cabs to the ceiling and may just set a shelf where the bottom of the cab would normally be.

Also be careful when you plan out your undercab lighting.

Keep us posted--several folks here have talked about doing that.

• lalithar
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mama goose, Fori --> thanks for the inspiration pics! I loved the corbels too :)

What do you think of 2 open shelves - wider 10" one for plates, bowls and a narrow ledge under that for cups.

I am thinking of doing this on one side of the galley (the clean-up side only). On the prep/cooking side, I am considering an elevated ledge behind the cooking area (48") similar to Histokitch's fabulous kitchen and maybe some rail system near the prep and baking areas. You see the pattern here of wanting to use the vertical space of the back splash.

Marcolo brings up 2 excellent points. I have to resolve the height issue and then there is the lighting. I desperately need good quality under cabinet task lighting. We will not have any cans (secretly pleased about this but this is long story for another thread). Most of the pics here seem to have the under cab lighting under the broader upper cabinets or none at all. What would be the clever solution here?

Lalitha

• lalithar
    Original Author
    12 years ago

One more question: What material should the shelf be made of? Same wood as the cabinet (painted probably in my case). Or can we do something like thinner marble ledge?

DH really does not like corbels (who knew!) So we are looking a slightly more modern treatment that looks airy and light. Can the open shleves be 'floating'? I am thinking some kind of dissapearing L brackets that are fixed to a stud. A stack of plates and bowls will be heavy I think.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    12 years ago

Who cares what DH likes? ;)

Here's a thread on floating shelves, and you can find more by using google (gardenweb floating shelves)

Here is a link that might be useful: floating shelves

• davidro1
    12 years ago

i agree with the above posts. I think I'm going to have a long thin stainless frame made, and put T4 fluorescent tubes inside it. T4 fluorescents are 1/2" thick.

There are not many models to follow. I would put thin frosted glass panels in it. I'd leave it open (unfinished) underneath. Both materials look good from all sides. Stainless and frosted glass. Thin tube fluorescents might glare a bit on the eyes if you are seated nearby, so I would put a strip of something paper-thin under the tube. I would make these floating shelves long thin and "shallow". Shallow = not deep = a short distance from wall to front end. That dimension is "depth" as in "depth of field" in photography. Even 10" plates can sit well on a shelf that is 8.5"d ; once you have several stacks of plates it looks OK. With just one stack of plates it looks like the shelf is too small. My impression.

I think that my esthetic is to go towards open shelves that appear light + strong. Thin + strong. I don't go for the thick shelf look.

Definitely do what you want. And yeah who cares about mama_goose's gander?