Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lake_girl_gw

Bona for wood floors?

Lake_Girl
12 years ago

Has anyone used Bona to clean their hardwood floors in the kitchen and elsewhere? It seems like everyone has a different opinion on cleaning hardwwood floors.

Thanks

Comments (24)

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Yes, we use it.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Planning to use it based on recommendations from the 4 hardwood companies I spoke with during quote stage. My floor was just laid last week and won't be sanded and finished until next.

• susanka
    12 years ago

We have no wood floors in our current house, but in two previous houses contractors/floor layers recommended Bona, and we used it and liked it.

• ladyshadowwalker
    12 years ago

If you have old HW floors Bona refresher ( avail online not in stores near here =( ) is amazing - Note Bona should only be used on varnished floors and NOT over wax or other finishes - test a small area if you are not sure. My floors look like they have been redone!

• Lake_Girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sounds like a good product! I'm going to give it a try. I have the old BonaX mop (I think that's what it is). I might try it first with the cleaner, before buying a new mop.

• leela4
    12 years ago

We've used Bona per rec. of our installers/refinishers on both the new and old (real) maple in our kitchen-dining areas for almost a year now. I haven't noticed any problem with build-up and it hasn't dulled the floors at all.

• sis2two
    12 years ago

We have reclaimed heart pine and bona floor cleaner was recommended. It leaves no residue or build up of any kind. The bona hardwood cleaner is different from the refresher. I have used the cleaner for 10 years and have been happy with it. The refresher is more for restoration of the floor.

• Lake_Girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I usually just use hot water, and a squeezed out sponge mop. I mop small sections and immediately dry it up with an old towel. I was hoping the Bona might be a little easier. I thought vinegar would dull your wood. Just not sure.

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

We just purchased bamboo flooring from a local flooring-only place. Although the flooring hasn't actually made it to our house yet, the flooring guy gave us a starter kit of Bona and said that's what we should use.

• natal
    12 years ago

I've always used vinegar and water ... on the 60 year old red oak and the 3 year old prefinished red oak. I clean on my hands and knees and dry as I go.

• ayerg73
    12 years ago

We will be putting hard woods in this spring and my flooring guy highly recommends Bona. He even uses their products exclusively to finish and seal his floors. He sits on the board of the National Wood Flooring Association and he clearly knows his stuff, so his opinion is as good as gold to me.

Sadly, I contacted the company twice to see if my chemically sensitive hubby might be allergic to their cleaners and they haven't ever taken the time to reply. My guess is yes.

SO I guess my response is that it's probably the best stuff out there to use, but I'm so glad to hear some of you use vinegar and water and that's working, because that's probably what I'll be doing....

• artemis78
    12 years ago

We have Bona but I honestly have to say that I don't notice much difference as far as the outcome between the Bona and vinegar/water spray that I also sometimes use...so not sure if that's an endorsement or not! :) I have heard good things about their floor refresher stuff, though (different from the plain cleaner) so I might give that a spin at some point.

It may also have to do with how your floors are finished, though---ours are finished with a water-based matte finish of some sort, so they look very different (= never shiny, always a bit dull) from our neighbor's identical floors finished in a polyurethane (= glossy so dirt shows more, but they clean up more beautifully too).

• natal
    12 years ago

Artemis, my 60-year-old oak floors have 3 coats of glossy poly (refinished 30 years ago). The prefinished oak is satin finish. Both clean up the same with the vinegar/water.

• shannonplus2
    12 years ago

I have never mopped my wood floors in the eight years I've lived here. One of the reasons I like wood floors is that I don't have to mop them the way I did with the tile floor in my previous home. One less cleaning task thank goodness. So, you guys mop the entire wood floor? Whew! I do vacuum regularly, and for drips and spills, I spot-clean with diluted vinegar and water. I have no idea if Bona is better or not, but the vinegar and water works great, and "if it ain't broke...", plus it's cheap.

And my family constantly walk barefoot in the house - I am concerned, like Ayerg73, about chemicals that may be absorbed through the skin or breathing. There's also the dog and the cats who all lick their feet the way animals do. Anyway, my oak floors are from the '60's, and look great, so my vinegar/water spot-clean method must be fine.

• Adrienne Gray
    12 years ago

Their cleaner and mop are really good (you still have to put your back into it if you have children who walk through their own spills)... BUT BUT BUT, DO NOT use their polish. I polished the kitchen floors a month ago and I would have had to suspend from the ceiling with a spray gun to apply it without streaks. Now I'm trying to get it up from the floors, and I've not had success. It's just a mess of hazy lines. Next stop, amonia and water.

• Lake_Girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Call Bona and ask what you're supposed to do about that? Would ammonia be too harsh?

• needsometips08
    12 years ago

My parents have a swedish finish over oak (about 15 yrs old) and Bona makes their floor look dull and terrible so she gave me all her Bona. It makes my newer plank tongue and groove birch hardwood floor look great. So I agree with the above poster who said it depends on the finish.

• Adrienne Gray
    12 years ago

Lake Girl, I haven't called them. I'm going off of an amazon review where another user had the same issue. They called the company and the solution was to use an amonia/hot water solution and scrub. I tested an area of the floor today and it's helping. I think the gameplan is to scrub a 6x6 section every day until I'm done and then do the whole floor.

• Louise
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We are currently renting a beautiful house with yellow birch floors. I was told by the owners to use Bona hardwood floor cleaner on the floor. She showed me the Bona mop and I was very determined to care for her floors well. So I went out and bought an expensive jug of the Bona cleaner and put it in the mop that sprays it out. I noticed that it wasn't working as well as I had anticipated. It left mop tracks, did not make it shine and I still saw marks on the floor and water drop marks did not come out. It was quite a chore mopping the whole house and I was exhausted. Later I noticed everywhere anyone had walked, it left foot print marks. The floor started looking dirty right after I had mopped it! I was so aggravated. After mopping it the second week with the same bad results, I decided to google it and found some interesting comments and YES there are people complaining about the same thing! They are saying Bona DOES leave a coating on your floors and that is why the footprints are visible. The more you mop with it, the more buildup you will have and it gets worse. I found a few sites that recommended what to do in this case. And that is to use vinegar diluted. 1 Cup per gallon of water or more if you have a really bad build up. So today that is what I did. The foot prints are not as visible but I still have a dull film and mop tracks but I was told that would be the case until all the buildup was gone. I was able to spot clean and get out those stained water drop marks with straight vinegar on an E-cloth (micro fiber) and rub it out. Hopefully I am on the right track and will have to be patient until all the buildup is gone and the shine returns. Others have done it so I know I'm not the only one. I don't know what kind of finish this floor has but it appears to possibly be a satin finish of some kind. I know I probably need to find this out soon. I hope this helps someone. I am a thorough person and when I do something, I like to do it right.

• Elraes Miller
    7 years ago

Bona comes in various options. 3 that I know of, a clear cleaner, a restore and a recover. The recover shines, lasts and looks great. But if you need to remove it, a tough call. It also may leave the footprints mentioned. My house is all wood floors, the kitchen and bath have the original to the home. This is where I use the recover, is water resistant and looks the same as other wood in house. If you have original floors with nail heads seen, do not use vinegar. It will react with the metal and spread a bit into the wood causing black marks which will never come out, even with refinishing. Vinegar and metal are a process for for aging wood.

• Kristi
    7 years ago

I've used it for 6 years per the recommendation of the group that put our floor in...love it

• PRO
    Cleanfast Cleaning Products
    5 years ago

Bona Wood Floor Spray Mop and Bona 24" Commercial Cleaning Mop are maintenance mops. Not suitable for heavy duty use. If you have wooden floors in the kitchen floor, you should degrease it first with a washing up liquid or any degreaser and then give it a good clean with Bona mop. I recommend that you use diferent microfiber cloths to clean your kitchen floor and another one for the rest of your home. Otherwise, you will move grease from the kitchen floor all over the house.

If you want to stick with Bona, use Bona Cleaner in the kitchen. This heavy duty product will break grease.

• mom2sulu
    5 years ago

I used Bona the first year on my new floors and did get the build up and streaking. We switched to the vinegar/water and all is well, plus it is natural and cheaper!