Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deepaandy

anyone put a wall oven underneath an induction cooktop?

deepaandy
12 years ago

Please advise if anyone has installed a wall oven below an induction cooktop? Our architect is saying 98% of the people do not do this (instead installing wall oven on the wall) and can cause problems? We do not have area on the wall to install it there, and can only do it under the counter. We can also install it next to the cooktop, but that woudl look odd. Thanks

Comments (8)

• chinchette
    12 years ago

I was going to do it, but there are problems involved. The wall oven can end up VERY low to the ground. Some manufacturers don't want the wall oven under the cook top because it gets too hot. We ended up putting the wall oven under the counter but not under the induction.

• gypsy_jazz
    12 years ago

This kitchen designer feels rather 'strongly' about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Its a *WALL* oven!

• tinycastles
    12 years ago

We have a wall or "whatever you want to call it" oven under our counter in the island. It is not under a cooktop of any sort. We had the wall space, but for the sake of symmetry I wanted identical drawer banks and uppers flanking either side of my 36" Viking Range instead of drawer banks and wall oven(s). For one, I felt 3 ovens would have been excessive for our family and I had already purchased my Viking. Also, I am not a huge fan of the look of a single wall oven in a wall, so I opted to do under-counter. Make sure specs on oven will work with an under-counter installation. Some are too deep AND tall to fit inside cabinet manufacturer's oven cabinet bases. (We encountered this problem with the 1st wall oven we were going to use...a Jenn Aire). FWIW, I don't think my oven is too low, or inconvenient, etc. But to each their own. The way I look at it, 2 ovens are better than 1, regardless of location.

• Buehl
    12 years ago

Which induction cooktop? Most require quite a bit of clearance under them... Check both the cooktop's and the oven's specs to see what's required.

If you or anyone in your family is at all tall, be aware that an under-counter oven (even not under a cooktop - which is usually even lower), is lower to the ground than an oven in a range.

I recommend you find a showroom that has an oven (preferably the one you're considering) mounted under the counter and see if you're OK with it. We did that and realized immediately it would be way too low for us!

Keep in mind, too, that if it's under a cooktop it will most likely be even lower...

The induction cooktop that seems to have the least amount of required clearance, at least that I've seen, is the Miele...so consider getting that one.

A thought...Are your counters going to be higher than 36"? If so, then an under counter oven might be OK b/c it can be mounted higher.

• lightlystarched
    12 years ago

We did it and its been fine. We have a very small kitchen though, and we bought the induction before there were induction ranges.

• Buehl
    12 years ago

Note how much lower to the floor the oven posted above is compared to an oven in a range. Most ranges have room for a broiler, a warming drawer, or a storage drawer beneath the oven...not so in the one pictured above.

• sally123
    12 years ago

I did it in the last kitchen I remodeled, a LONG time ago, about 1992. It was under an induction cooktop. Don't have a picture, but it worked fine.