Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally--finished backsplash...and advice

Posted by annalyn123 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 17:43

My backsplash was completed yesterday. It looks so much nicer in person. It was certainly not trouble-free along the way. At the beginning of the install, I noticed the thinset had a gray tone to it and had watched enough glass video installs to know it should have been whiter. I asked the installer if it was the correct thinset and he said he told his distributor he was doing a glass job and that is what they gave him. He deals with a very reputable distribution center. Knowing it should have been whiter, I checked out the bag and did not see the word "glass" on it. I called Mapei and they said it was the incorrect product. The installer stopped and called his distributor, and sure enough, he was told he was given the wrong bag. Fortunately, I think only about 8 sq. ft. had been installed.
My installer is one of the best and is often called to remove and repair other's mistakes. My advice is to check the thinset and grout (as we know from other's experiences here), regardless of the installer. The major companies like Mapei have a technical person that answers a phone right away and will know if it is the best product for the job. I once read that you should become the expert in your product since there are so many different types of materials, it may be new even to a seasoned and quality installer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally--finished backsplash...and advice

Gorgeous! It really plays well with the light tones in your counter. I love glass tiles.

o

Lovely! Congratulations, and thank you for the cautionary tale, I don't think I've heard this advice before!

o

Beautiful! And welcome to the ABB alumni club!
Glad you were on top of things and saved a disaster!

o

I love your BS...it all looks wonderful together!

o

Nice! Looks very similar to ours (we had ours installed vertically).

I love it with your cabs and counters!

o

Really pretty in the photo and it must be stunning in person. Thanks for the advise. I was planning to research sealer. I'll study up on grout & thinset too.

o

That really looks nice. Love glass tile.

o

annalyn123, it looks terrific! Would you mind sharing the specific brand of glass tile? Does it have a grey or green undertone? I'm looking for something similar...

o

Thanks everyone for the compliments! I need to take some better photos. The tile is really beautiful in person.

Bethinnc, I got the tile from glasstilestore.com and it is the Tuscany Pattern Super White. The glass is white, but tints gray and or light blue/gray at times. I think it reflects off my counters. In the reviews, others have liked it because it was pure white. This is not the glass that has the green undertone to it (unless your counters were green.) Check them out. They ship free and I bought lots of samples and single sheets of tile while I was deciding.

o

Just beautiful. I never would have guessed the tile is white. Well done.
MJ

o

Just beautiful. I never would have guessed the tile is white. Well done.
MJ

o

I like the subtle striping of different tile sizes. It looks like a stretch of sedimentary rock I drive by frequently that has multiple layers all broken up into giant tiles.

It's not plain, but it's not trying to ZING, POP or WOW in my face.

o

It really looks great with your cabs and counter top!

o

Your counters and backsplash look perfect together! Congratulations!!

o

What color is your countertop? Very pretty.

o

Michellern, the counter is blue pearl granite. I love it because it the mica sparkles in all different lights, but most of all because of its function. I never have to worry about using hot plates, staining, and it never needs sealing--it is very forgiving for my family:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here