Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunsoleil

Finally--finished backsplash...and advice

sunsoleil
10 years ago

My backsplash was completed yesterday. It looks so much nicer in person. It was certainly not trouble-free along the way. At the beginning of the install, I noticed the thinset had a gray tone to it and had watched enough glass video installs to know it should have been whiter. I asked the installer if it was the correct thinset and he said he told his distributor he was doing a glass job and that is what they gave him. He deals with a very reputable distribution center. Knowing it should have been whiter, I checked out the bag and did not see the word "glass" on it. I called Mapei and they said it was the incorrect product. The installer stopped and called his distributor, and sure enough, he was told he was given the wrong bag. Fortunately, I think only about 8 sq. ft. had been installed.
My installer is one of the best and is often called to remove and repair other's mistakes. My advice is to check the thinset and grout (as we know from other's experiences here), regardless of the installer. The major companies like Mapei have a technical person that answers a phone right away and will know if it is the best product for the job. I once read that you should become the expert in your product since there are so many different types of materials, it may be new even to a seasoned and quality installer.

Comments (18)

• heidihausfrau
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! It really plays well with the light tones in your counter. I love glass tiles.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Lovely! Congratulations, and thank you for the cautionary tale, I don't think I've heard this advice before!

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Beautiful! And welcome to the ABB alumni club!
    Glad you were on top of things and saved a disaster!

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I love your BS...it all looks wonderful together!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Nice! Looks very similar to ours (we had ours installed vertically).

I love it with your cabs and counters!

• romy718
    10 years ago

Really pretty in the photo and it must be stunning in person. Thanks for the advise. I was planning to research sealer. I'll study up on grout & thinset too.

• deedles
    10 years ago

That really looks nice. Love glass tile.

• msbubbaclees
    10 years ago

annalyn123, it looks terrific! Would you mind sharing the specific brand of glass tile? Does it have a grey or green undertone? I'm looking for something similar...

• sunsoleil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the compliments! I need to take some better photos. The tile is really beautiful in person.

Bethinnc, I got the tile from glasstilestore.com and it is the Tuscany Pattern Super White. The glass is white, but tints gray and or light blue/gray at times. I think it reflects off my counters. In the reviews, others have liked it because it was pure white. This is not the glass that has the green undertone to it (unless your counters were green.) Check them out. They ship free and I bought lots of samples and single sheets of tile while I was deciding.

• mjocean
    10 years ago

Just beautiful. I never would have guessed the tile is white. Well done.
    MJ

• mjocean
    10 years ago

Just beautiful. I never would have guessed the tile is white. Well done.
    MJ

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

I like the subtle striping of different tile sizes. It looks like a stretch of sedimentary rock I drive by frequently that has multiple layers all broken up into giant tiles.

It's not plain, but it's not trying to ZING, POP or WOW in my face.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

It really looks great with your cabs and counter top!

• Anne Harris
    10 years ago

Your counters and backsplash look perfect together! Congratulations!!

• michellern1969
    10 years ago

What color is your countertop? Very pretty.

• sunsoleil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Michellern, the counter is blue pearl granite. I love it because it the mica sparkles in all different lights, but most of all because of its function. I never have to worry about using hot plates, staining, and it never needs sealing--it is very forgiving for my family:)

• juliebofsc
    8 years ago

I've been searching for a long time for a backsplash that will go with blue pearl. I think I have found it! I love your glass tile! I want something that won't take away from the beauty of the blue pearl. I know it's been two years, but how do you like it? Also, how did you handle the dilemma of where to end the backsplash by your doorway?

• sunsoleil
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I was surprised to see this thread, but yes, I do still love the backsplash. I get lots of compliments on it. I like the fact that it's a bit different, but still allows the blue pearl to be the star. I would recommend that you get a square foot of any tile you decide on since it will look a lot different than in just a small sample.

I ended my tile at the end of the countertop. I know that the preference on GW is at the end of the top cabinet. My installer said that he did them both ways, but decided since I had a gap between my wall and countertop, it would be better to go to the end of the counter. Hope this helps!