Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
"Best" Shaker style door

Posted by strayer (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 17:37

Hi! My custom cabinet maker can make my doors however I want. Here are 2 photos of 2 examples of how he can do the inside edge. What is the best, classic shaker door style? (width of the stiles and rails and type of bead or bevel on the inside panel). Photo 1 is a bead and photo 2 is a slanted edge like a bevel. He can do whatever I want. I just can't tell in most of the Houzz photographs what this part of the cabinet door looks like because I can't zoom in enough to see that level of detail.
My kitchen will be frameless full overlay shaker cabinets, painted white on perimeter, island painted dark, white macaubus quartzite on island, antique brown granite on perimeter. Contemporary hardware and fixtures, but not ultra-modern.
Photo 3 is my inspiration kitchen.

Thanks!!

here's photo 1: bead

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: "Best" Shaker style door

Here's photo 2: slanted or beveled

o

Here's photo 3 - the inspiration kitchen

o

I went "beveled" to keep dirt down -not sure it makes that much difference - so go with what you like visually.

o

I have #1 and very happy with it. DH wanted your #2 option but for me it was just too simple, I really like the curves of #1, still simple but a little dressier. It is all depends on what look you are going for. Plus as always and what really worked for me, is going with what feels right to you.

o

My beveled cherry is over a year old and I haven't once had to get out the Q-tips to clean the corners. It looks like traditional Shaker until you look up close. Let's face it, people vow they'll clean more when they get a new kitchen, but that only lasts a few months before the novelty wears off, then you're back to your old cleaning habits.

o

Sorry. I keep making duplicates lately, and I'm not doing anything different!

This post was edited by may_flowers on Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 19:24

o

When I was searching, I always had a gut attraction to the beveled edge over the curved; who can say why? Do you ever feel that for one or the other?

I do think that the bevel looks more "shaker" and the curved more transitional. What is the feel that you are going for?

o

I want it to be a clean look. I want to get away from any fussy raised panels (my current kitchen) and fussy mouldings. The mouldings will be a simple cove style and hopefully the full overlay, frameless cabinets will be very clean and simple.

o

I am going for #1! They call it quarter round though- I think that is the same as what you are calling bead. It looks the same to me at least.
these are vanity cabinets but same door style by my cabinet maker although we are doing frameless full overlay:

[img] photo FlatPanel_QuarterRound_Painted.jpg[/img]

o

Thanks! Does anyone have a photo of the beveled style in white paint?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here