Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ledmond

If you don't want people hanging around your island:

LE
10 years ago

this should work! Well, they can hang around it, but they won't be lounging ON it

Contemporary Kitchen by

Comments (30)

• meek95
    10 years ago

Looks like a big sausage!

• mudhouse_gw
    10 years ago

A sausage is nicer than my first thought, which was a giant spleen.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

That is surely one of the ugliest things I've ever seen!

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

If it was super smooth and lacquer shiny,and a clean color--- and not vaguely organ-like or sausage-like, it might be kind of interesting.

• ppbenn
    10 years ago

What were they thinking.

• Sarina
    10 years ago

OMG makes me get the creeps not a warm fussy feeling lol.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

It says it was inspired by the homeowners' travels in Australia. It seems to coordinate with the leather furniture in the adjacent seating area (?). Or maybe the leather furniture coordinates with It.

The rest of the architect's portfolio looks pretty nice. This seems to be a special request of the owner, and seems really a weird false note in the firm's work. I don't know what it references in Australia.

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

Did a good job concealing the fridge.

Here is a link that might be useful: A cross between a boomerang and Ayres Rock?

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 21:34

• taggie
    10 years ago

Wow, that looks rude, lol. Like a sausage alright. Just probably not the kind they were going for. Reminds me of the Everybody Loves Raymond where Marie did the sculpture in art class and everybody saw the, ahem, body part in it except her. Hahaha!!

• merrygardener
    10 years ago

It looks very inviting for children to climb!

• doc8404
    10 years ago

There will always be people with more money than sense.

The poor dears.

Doc

• Fori
    10 years ago

I too don't care for the hotlink--even a different color would be nicer.

Kinda love the cabinets though!

• LE
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think it is supposed to resemble Ayres Rock. Stand back and squint your eyes!

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

I saw this tour on Houzz and was like: "beautiful, lovely, so modern and simple, god I wish I had that kind of money, stunning...WHAT ON EARTH?!?!" I bet the ho and architect had a few fights about that one!

• willtv
    10 years ago

Didn't they kill that thing with a fire extinguisher in a really old Steve McQueen film?

• ginny20
    10 years ago

LOL, willtv. My first thought was kidney, or maybe kidney bean.

The rest of the kitchen is really nice though, love those cabs.

• ginny20
    10 years ago

LOL, willtv. My first thought was kidney, or maybe kidney bean.

The rest of the kitchen is really nice though, love those cabs.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I bet the ho and architect had a few fights about that one!

Well no wonder it came out looking like that.

Another way to keep people away from the island is to wire it for just a little zap. Nothing to kill anyone, just enough to keep them away.

• Terri
    10 years ago

for some reason I now have the Oscar Mayer wiener song stuck in my head.....

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

Wow - that's really something! I'm surprised anyone can even tell there are cabinets in the room with that thing. It's certainly a conversation piece.

• LE
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, I never saw the cabs, either! They are nice, though-- as is the rest of the house, spectacular, actually.

Aesthetics aside (as if that's possible!), I can't get over the ergonomics of that island. Imagine trying to lean against it. Your feet are about 2 ft behind you.

Then you get that zap! that linelle installed, above. That'll teach you.

• Fori
    10 years ago

I'm guessing that the business side of the island is more user-friendly. But darn it, making the back side (or is the front?) of the island unergonomic means you can't get any help when you're making tamales or decorating cookies.

Come to think of it, what a runty kitchen. Is it just an accessory kitchen in the cabana or something? That ain't a real kitchen at all!

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

Hot dog, that's awful!

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

The Blob. LOL my first thought also! That's horrible. A tumor.

• amykath
    10 years ago

Very phallic!

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Here is another example of where the client was given unbridled creative control, and the designer's job was to execute it. I was actually prompted to write a letter to the editor over this one.

It is the master bedroom and the bed is flanked by plastic boxwood trees.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Pal, ugh. Can you imagine trying to bail out of that bed when nature makes an urgent call at 2 a.m.?

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Well there is a tree right there....

• LE
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hope to never again see the words "plastic" and "boxwood" in such proximity. Much less such an image. And whose idea to put it on the cover? Sheesh.

• cj47
    10 years ago

Clicking through on the photo, I see this:

A Wurster Revival

I can't stop giggling. It's just too funny....

Sorry.

Cj