Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josie724

In The Home Stretch

josie724
15 years ago

Well my kitchen is about 80% finished. I'm still waiting for some replacement doors and drawer fronts and my dw panel. I still have to get window treatments and rugs and some chatchkees. But you get get a pretty good idea.

Before:

When we first moved into the house in 1999 I painted the cheap builders grade cabinets and the back splash.

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

This island was in the middle of the room. We sold it on Craigslist as well as our appliances. Gotta Love Craigslist.

After:

Thank you for taking a look at my kitchen which I waited 10 years for. I really am happy with everything, even through all the heartache and aggravation.

Comments (23)

• chikat
    15 years ago

Looks beautiful. All of your colors are wonderful and go so well together.
    I'm doing my kitchen too, demo was yesterday. Could you tell me about your kitchen table? I love the look of if.

Thanks and enjoy your gorgeous kitchen.

• morton5
    15 years ago

Josie, that turned out beautiful! I must also compliment you on the nice job you did updating your old kitchen-- I would have been able to live with that for a few years, also. You have a flair for color, I think. How wonderful, though, to have your gorgeous new kitchen! So light and airy! Congratulations.

• jnjmom
    15 years ago

Very nice!! I love what you have put together!

What faucet is that?

• boysrus2
    15 years ago

It's really beautiful and looks so much larger! Is that huge skylight new with the reno? Wish I could have one of those. Your professional range is a beautiful focal point in your kitchen. Great contrast between the white cabs and dark floors. Did you refinish your old floors darker or replace them? Was the pantry moved down to create a longer range wall or is it a trick of the eye? I like everything, but my favorite element is the new run of counters by the deck. I can imagine you having a lot of fun entertaining there with friends both inside and out.

• josie724
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all so much for your kind words, and for all the support I received from this forum while I was going through the renovation. As you all know we pour our hearts into our kitchen remodels.

chikat...congrats on your demo being done. Wishing you an easy remodel. The table is from Raymour and Flannigan, my dh sanded the top of the table and chairs because the color did not match our kitchen so we stained it to match the floor. We had a hard time finding the right color cream to match the cabinets. I like the fact that the table has a butterfly leaf.

jnjmom, it's the Delta 978 in Venetian Bronze

boysrus, we had wanted to extend the kitchen, but in todays market we didn't know if we would see a return on our investment. I have to say I love my range, it's a dream to cook on. I can't wait to do Christmas Dinner. We refinished the floors, they are red oak and we used dark walnut stain. The original panty was knocked down giving me my much needed counter space, since we took out the island I wanted to make sure I had enough counter area.

Thank you all again, it really means alot to me.

• Bethpen
    15 years ago

Josie, your kitchen looks great. I love the color on your walls. The subway tiles look great with your granite too. I'm thinking of doing something similar. Thank you for sharing!
    We're going to remodel too. I hope that ours looks as great and put together as yours does. You should be proud.

• rbsohio
    15 years ago

Beautiful kitchen!! What is the name of your granite? I too have been waiting many years, and we are now about 80% done our kitchen renovation. It's been a long haul, and it's always so encouraging to see others getting there!! Enjoy your new kitchen.
    Robin

• josie724
    Original Author
    15 years ago

boysrus, I forgot to answer your question about the skylight. Luckily they were original to the house, I actually have 3 of them one in my entrance one in the kitchen and one in my master bath. Those were a huge factor in our decision to buy the house.

thank you beth....good luck, and you know you'll get a ton of great info from this site. I wish I could remember the name of the color on the walls, I still have a 1/2 can but I just checked and the color isn't on it. That color was decided in 5 minutes. I had to run to the paint store and try to match a color to the darker tiles in my back splash. The painter was waiting for me. When it first went on I nearly died because it was really bright, but once it dried I fell in love with it.

• josie724
    Original Author
    15 years ago

robin, the granite is persian gold, or golden persia.

• bbtondo
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful! You must feel like it's Christmas every day now! You can really tell that you put your heart into this. Your kitchen is such a warm and welcoming space. I know you and your family will enjoy it for years to come. Congrats!
    Barb

• morton5
    15 years ago

Josie, that turned out beautiful! I must also compliment you on the nice job you did updating your old kitchen-- I would have been able to live with that for a few years, also. You have a flair for color, I think. How wonderful, though, to have your gorgeous new kitchen! So light and airy! Congratulations.

• josie724
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes morton, that's exactly what I wanted light and airy, thanks for the kind words.

Yes barb, I do feel like it's Christmas everyday, wanna tell my dh that, maybe I can get some good gifts out of him....LOL Thanks.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!! Congratulations

• choux
    15 years ago

Your new kitchen looks fantastic! I like the wine cubbies by the fridge.

• erikanh
    15 years ago

josie, you must be absolutely thrilled! Your kitchen turned out gorgeous! I really love how you enclosed your fridge. Is it counter depth or standard?

Please keep us updated on how you like the new finish on your floors. I want to stain my oak floors walnut also, and I'm worried about it showing scratches and hair from our German Shepherd.

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Amazing, intelligent, realistic choices. Congratulations :)

• josie724
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you erikanh and fly.

I really like the dark floors. We always take our shoes off when we are in the house, so I'm sure that helps keep the floors looking good. We have three coats of poly to help with scratching, and as far as the dog....I can only say one thing a swifer will be your best friend ;-)

• User
    15 years ago

Josie! You're kitchen is abosolutely beautiful!!! Now you can focus on just enjoying it. I love the whole layout and your color choices! Wonderful job in spite of the problems along the way! Congrats and thanks for sharing!

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Josie, your hard work paid off! Beautiful kitchen. You really opened it up and really brightened up the space. Now you all will be enjoying wonderful home cooked meals again!

• beachbum
    15 years ago

Your new kitchen looks great. I'm really impressed with how moving a things a few feet made such a difference to the presentation of the space and the "extra" space that seems to appear. You should be really proud!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! Great job. Love all your choices. Colors are fantastic. I also love how you moved the fridge cabinet. That area feels so much more open by just moving it to the end! Amazing! Wine storage is a great idea and it looks wonderful. Congrats!

• josie724
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We gained 4 feet by taking out the old pantry. Closing off the slider and putting in a window and a french door gave us another 6 feet of counter. The old fridge was a regular depth and protruded almost 10 inches the new cabinet depth fridge made a big difference on that wall. I was worried that eliminating the island was going to be a mistake, but I can now seat eight to ten in my kitchen if I open the table and turn it around. Thanks all again, I'll be sure to post more pics when it's 100% complete.

• houseful
    15 years ago

It's really beautiful! You did a great job expanding the space. Congratulations!