Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sink Setback Question

Posted by jkasch (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 16, 10 at 17:35

Another hurdle . . . During the building process we bumped the kitchen sink base out a couple of inches. I had my heart set on a Blanco silgranit, 1 3/4 bowl, undermount sink. However, the one I picked won't fit unless it is set 5 inches back from the front edge of the cabinet. What is the standard here? Is this too far? Am I going to have back issues everytime I do dishes?

Would like to see pictures of your sink set up and if you wouldn't mind sharing with me how far yours is set back from the front edge of your counter. What are the pros and cons of your set up.

Your thoughts and/or pictures are be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Julie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sink Setback Question

I might have back issues, but I am short (and have in more than one kitchen gone with absurdly long-reaching faucet spouts because of it).

I think as long as the end of your faucet is far enough forward to be comfortable, it should be OK.

When I redid my kitchen, I ended up with about 2.5" setback. I wanted it as far forward as possible so that I could get as much sink in there as possible. So, now I get extra wet. Just can't win!

(I suspect a creative sink installer should be able to get you a little further forward unless you've really got a tight bumpout. Don't take no for an answer without making them THINK. They don't like to think.)

o

Are you sure about that measurement?

I'm reading blanco's installation sheet for model 711- and it doesn't say that.

o

Bmorepanic ~ Could you send me the information on model #711. The model # that I have been looking at is 440179 BLANCODIAMOND� 1-3/4 Bowl Undermount.

Fori ~ the installer, in this case, is my husband. Unfortunately it is a pretty tight bump out.

Thanks for the help

o

Well, I guess the installer has probably done some thinking then. :) Can you do a mockup and see if it'll bug you? (Whatever you do, don't skimp on counter overhang! Hehehehe)

o
ohh....

Has your lovely installer considered notching a bit off the cabinet box? Totally depends on what you've got, but sometimes they can take a bit of mutilation on the inside.

o

I just had the Blanco Multi-Level With Drainer. It is the 1 & 3/4 sink bowls with the drainer on the right. Great sink but there should be a disclaimer for its use. It is so deep (front to back) that once you add a backsplash and a fancy high arc faucet (Woodmere by Showhouse-Moen) there is NO room. The faucet barely sits on what is left of deck space behind the sink. I can't even operate the faucet properly because it hits the backsplash. What to do! What to do!

o

I wanted my sink close to the edge. I have Euro cabs (frameless) so that means the doors add 3/4" to the cabinet body itself, so it's even harder to mount the sink close to the edge with that type. My installer notched the front support of the cabinet a bit, and we ended up with the sink opening 3 3/4" from the edge. It feels pretty good. I think ideally another 1/4- 1/2" less would work best for me, but this is not bad at all.

FWIW, the ADA recommendation for bathroom sinks is 3" from the counter edge. I don't know what their recommendation for kitchens is though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here