Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom2sulu_gw

Faucet suggestions for 36 inch sink

mom2sulu
9 years ago

Hi everyone! I have spent a lot of time looking for a kitchen faucet to go with a Kraus farmhouse sink. (This is for a new build.) I had it narrowed down to the Moen Brantford which has tons of positive reviews. However, I just came across two reviews that have me questioning whether it would be a good fit for the size of my sink. #1 The flow is only 1.5---whatever that means :) and #2 the neck/reach not being long enough for one of the newer single bowl large sinks. I don't get the second comment so much because it is a pull down with a pretty long reach or so I thought.

Okay, so does anyone have any experience, input, suggestions of a faucet that would work for my sink? My price range is in the $300-350.

Thanks so much!

Comments (5)

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

#1 means that faucet has a flow of 1.5 gallons per minute. Here's a snip from a 2012 discussion on the plumbing forum:
    If a pot takes 4 gallons to fill ...

2.2 gpm = 1.818 mins at full flow.

1.75 gpm = 2.286 mins at full flow.

That's 0.468 of a minute difference. Total of 28 seconds, bit less than half a minute.

Evidently 2.2 gpm used to be the norm for kitchen faucets, but now the "waterwise" norm is 1.5. Chances are good you won't notice the difference and you will save water.

#2 is a serious issue. In a large sink you need a long enough reach with the pull out hose to be able to rinse the outer edges of the sink. The hose doesn't have to extend the whole distance, but you do have to be able to get a vigorous stream of water to hit the all the edges. The Moen page says the Brantford has a 68" hose length and a 32" supply length. Presuming one of those numbers is how far the pull out hose will pull out, you should be good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moen page with length info

• mom2sulu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow! Thanks for all your research/expert advice! I appreciate your insight. :)

I also looked back through and almost all of Moen's kitchen faucets are 1.5 so I was perplexed with that review.

I am glad to hear that the faucet will work with the sink. It seems like a good one. Thanks again!

• northcarolina
    9 years ago

I just checked: my Brantford faucet pulls out at least 4" past the sides of my Kohler Vault sink. My sink is technically 33" but requires a 36" cabinet, so the bowl width might actually be about the same as your Kraus. Since the faucet pulls out further than the sides, you're clear either way.

The Brantford has a weight that clamps onto the line; that's what pulls the head back into the dock. The weight is too big to fit through a faucet hole, so it's the limiting factor on how far out the head will pull. My plumber made sure to put the weight as far down the line as possible and have it still work (i.e. right above the loop at the bottom). If someone reported that their Moen didn't pull out far enough, it might be simply because the weight had been installed too high up.

• northcarolina
    9 years ago

Forgot to add -- the flow hasn't been any problem.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

The reach of the hose shouldn't be an issue. I can't think of a faucet that wouldn't reach the edge of your sink unless the hose was caught on something underneath. The importance of reach is when the head of the faucet is not pulled out -- where that stream of water falls all the rest of the time.

When you stand and rinse, wash or fill something, you don't want to be lifting your arms and having to bend in towards the faucet. That puts a lot of strain on your back. I think that's the least understood part of selecting a faucet. I've seen some folks say the stream should hit the center of the drain to prevent splashing. I don't buy that. Neither of my faucets hit the drain (one is a corner drain, so if it did, that would be really bad) and neither of them splash. I did have one that did andI didn't like the placement of the stream and found that most often it would hit the disposal guard and splash like crazy -- even though it was a lower flow faucet.