Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sevrm

Backsplash Opinions, Please

sevrm
9 years ago

Upper cabinet doors have not arrived yet, but they will be white louvered-looking doors. I have taped some white "skins" where they will be just for this purpose. The subways are 2"x4" and I would use white grout. The other sample has white ceramic pieces and greige marble pieces. I would use a neutral grout on that.

I tried to post all pix at once without success, sorry.

Comments (39)

• LE
    9 years ago

Between those two options, definitely the one on the left. The one on the right is both too busy and the colors look very "off" compared to the counters.

• amykath
    9 years ago

One on the left.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I would consider something like this.

• mom2samlibby
    9 years ago

Tile on the left

• sevrm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aktillery...That's a great compromise between the two. What is it?

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Of the two, left, but I would look for something warmer and darker. Simple.

What is the flooring?

White louvered doors - can you post a picture?

• sevrm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The floor is a very neutral travertine-like porcelain tile.

A link to the doors is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: White Louvered Cabinet

• eam44
    9 years ago

Honestly, none of these is great with your stone. Keep looking. Or ask us to help you find alternatives. You can definitely do better.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I love that style door. Can you post a picture of your kitchen from further back so that we can get a better idea do how it will all look?

Right now, I like the tile on the left more than the right. But think there might be some better alternatives. Seeing the room from a distance might help :)

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I would not add pattern in the backsplash with the louvered doors. Offset them with simplicity or you will lose their appeal by creating visual confusion.

Maybe a low 2" granite piece and paint? Back painted glass, depending on overall style? Paint?

• romy718
    9 years ago

The louvered door is pretty. A clean, fresh, cottagey look. Neither of those tiles excite me. The tile on the left looks a little dingy. Maybe a warm, brighter white in a larger format?

This post was edited by romy718 on Fri, Sep 19, 14 at 9:39

• Gracie
    9 years ago

The cabs are as cottagey as they come, so those skinny modern tiles won't work. Do you have a better photo of your counters or of the slab?

• annac54
    9 years ago

On my monitor, the granite looks like it has a yellowish undertone. The skinny random tiles look like they have a pinkish tone so they clash. Maybe it's different in real life, but if the undertones are not similar, they will always look a little off. I think you might want a less busy tile, larger without a pattern. Depending on what else is in the kitchen, maybe pick a color other than white from the granite: tan, grey, beige, ???

• amykath
    9 years ago

Sue, I found it at Floor and Decor

They have loads of options and good prices. Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Backsplash

• sevrm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A larger view of the room. Everything is very neutral.

• sevrm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I'm getting closer. The tiles on the left are a dark brown 3x6 glass tile which have a certain "wow" factor. On the right are a tan 3x6 glossy ceramic. In the middle is a matte 3x6 porcelain, but it may be too busy.

I think I would have them installed stacked rather than subway.

All opinions will be very much appreciated.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

The only one that is in same color family is the brown. It's a very contemporary look though. Will it work with the cottage cabinets?

You seem to pick out pinkish tile, as Anna noted. Ignore the creamier tones in your granite--gold dominates.

• silken1
    9 years ago

I prefer the dark brown glass tiles on the left, so long as they also work with the floor. With everything so light and neutral, these might look real good.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

I like the brown on the left with your granite, but I don't think of brown as a very cottagey color. Also, if you are planning to tile the entire area above the counters, it will be a lot of dark color.

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

I kinda like the brown too - stacked bond might be too modern for your kitchen though, esp considering the louvered doors. Glass tile seems kind of modern to me anyway, though.

Totally off the wall (pardon my pun) but Is there a copper option or something you'd consider? I look at that granite and think a lustrous metallic-y backsplash might be neat. I love the curved wall!

[Traditional Tile[(https://www.houzz.com/products/traditional-tile-prbr1-br~t_1053~s_2107) by Miami Kitchen & Bath Fixtures Eden Mosaic Tile

• romy718
    9 years ago

Your floors are light, your cabinets are white. I like the contrast of the dark brown. You also don'tt have a huge area for backsplash.

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

It may just be the computer photos but what I'm seeing is that the tiles are too cool for the warm counters and that's why the brown looks good because it is a better warm match with the counter. I don't think a dark brown would look very good in that kitchen though. You just need something warmer.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Love the copper option! Here is a crude mock up

• Gracie
    9 years ago

It seems to me that you picked a cottagey door for a reason, so I'm not understanding the very modern glass/copper/mosaic/stacked tile choices. Or do you not see the door as cottage style, just as a neat door? I think your choices could create too much pattern with the door style, so I'd wait till the doors are in.

I don't think brown will be too dark for the reasons romy stated. I would use a ceramic tile to at least reference the cottage style of the door, but you could use a larger tile like a 4" x 8" to give a nod to the more contemporary. With a larger tile, there'd be fewer lines to compete with the door.

Something like this Sonoma Portabella crackle tile, which has some variation and won't read as a solid brown. It's on the end in the first row of crackles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sonoma Tilemakers

This post was edited by may_flowers on Sat, Sep 20, 14 at 11:19

• romy718
    9 years ago

WMA89 did a brown backsplash-it was a bold choice as she has large areas of backsplash & it's gorgeous.

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

romy, your tile would look nice with OP's kitchen but doesn't look like brown as the brown tile she posted. It would be hard to say if this shade would actually match her counter top but I think this style of a tile looks great. It's different enough to not look boring. The brown tile she posted looks too much like my brown 1950's bathroom tile...HA!

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

love the idea of a dark tile but i would go matte finish and not shiny...you have shiny granite and SS appiances. IMHO that's enough "shiny" which to me equates to glare.... a solid color or a crackle with slight variation would look great

you can go bigger tile and go square 4x4 or 6x6, not every BS has to be "subwayish"....if you do go subway size, and this is just my personal preference, don't go stacked, not a fan. if it is not laid perfectly, it will always be "off" and that would drive me nuts.
    you must have an excellent tile setter to get it done right.

although with that curved wall it will difficult to go with a bigger tile, you might have to go with a sheet tile to be able to handle that curve., depends on the degree of curve...maybe a 3x3??

best of luck!!

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

love the idea of a dark tile but i would go matte finish and not shiny...you have shiny granite and SS appiances. IMHO that's enough "shiny" which to me equates to glare.... a solid color or a crackle with slight variation would look great

you can go bigger tile and go square 4x4 or 6x6, not every BS has to be "subwayish"....if you do go subway size, and this is just my personal preference, don't go stacked, not a fan. if it is not laid perfectly, it will always be "off" and that would drive me nuts.
    you must have an excellent tile setter to get it done right.

although with that curved wall it will difficult to go with a bigger tile, you might have to go with a sheet tile to be able to handle that curve., depends on the degree of curve...maybe a 3x3??

best of luck!!

• sevrm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

may_flowers nailed it. I don't see my kitchen or the louvered doors as cottagey at all. I just really liked that style door, probably because I have not seen it very often.

And sprtphntc is also right, the curved wall limits the size tile that can be used. I just got rid of square tile, so I wanted something rectangular this time.

Right now I'm leaning towards the 2x4 white subway mosaic in my original post. It is actually a very bright white like the cabinets. I can't say that I LOVE it, but I think it's a safe choice, and right now I'm tired of all the decision making!

I do want everyone to know that I appreciate all of the input I have gotten from this forum. I'll post a picture of the final product.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

I like these much better than the monolithic darker brown.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Sounds like a good plan. There's nothing wrong with a safe choice & so often tile colors do not translate accurately in posted pictures. A brighter white that matches your cabinets will be pretty. Please post a pic after installation.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

What about this?

https://www.houzz.com/products/white-1-x-4-glass-subway-tile-prvw-vr~2665909-1-x-4-Glass-Subway-Tile-modern-tile-other-metro

It's not that different from the white subway, but it's more similar to the shape of the louvers (or whatever you'd call it) in the cabinet doors.

Here is a link that might be useful: [White glass tile[(https://www.houzz.com/products/white-1-x-4-glass-subway-tile-prvw-vr~2665909)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

That is a very curved wall you will not be able to use any kind of large tile, in fact my guess is that you will need very small tile on mesh sheets to be able to flex to follow that curve. So the main consideration immediately is to find out exactly what kind of tile you can use. Then you can start thinking about color choices in that size and style. This is not at all a normal install. Subway tiles don't Bend or flex they lay flat or break. Has your installer or contractor not discussed the curved wall with you?

For color I would lean toward a matching small travertine like the floor and pick up some of the darker brown and gold of the slab, definitely stay away from those pink undertones. Something more along these lines for color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosaic

• sevrm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok. I'm going to try to post before and after pictures. I am very happy with all of my selections. Still don't think of my louvered doors as cottagey. Since I live in south Florida, I think of them as more tropical. Whatever you call it, I like them. I am also happy with my white 2" x 4" subway tile backsplash. They are very cute.

The goal was to get rid of the column rising from the island which contained the plumbing vent stack, and to increase storage space. Mission accomplished.

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

Looks great!! Your counters and floor really coordinate nicely.

• LE
    9 years ago

Beautiful, whatever you call it! I call it simple, relaxing, refreshing... and that post must have driven you crazy!

• texasgal47
    9 years ago

I think Jullius nailed it with the mini subway white glass stacked tile. . . provided it cooperates with your curved wall.

• romy718
    9 years ago

You must be thrilled with your new kitchen. So bright & airy. The backsplash & entire kitchen turned out great. Cute little pup.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

You must be thrilled with the sunny update! Very pretty. I like the doors. They are different and do look like tropical plantation shutters.